Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 am 
Sorry, but no thanks. I just want more Erfworld comics. I think the proposed new digital format is a bad idea on par with the voice acted motion comics. I dont think anyone liked those.

I dont know why a "Numbered and personalized Erfmover e-collectible, plus "Erf Mover" site badge at Erfworld.com." is considered valuable in any way. I guess the hardcore fans will pay for it, but you are haemorrhaging readers while you concentrate on doing stuff like that, no?

I think Rob is a good writer, and Erfworld has had alot of good artists, but I dont understand the focus the Erfworld team has on extracurricular stuff. Why branch out into pin-ups, postcards, 3D models, kickstarters, fanfictions, schmuckermining, conventions, boardgames when the story is on hiatus?

Remember "How to make 10/10ths of a living"? That didnt really work out. Erfworld has a good core fanbase that will keep this thing afloat. But I will bet readers will come back in droves if you guys got back to focusing on the comic.

Because we loved it. And we loved you for making it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    Tsjoff wrote:
    Sorry, but no thanks. I just want more Erfworld comics. I think the proposed new digital format is a bad idea on par with the voice acted motion comics. I dont think anyone liked those.

I dont know why a "Numbered and personalized Erfmover e-collectible, plus "Erf Mover" site badge at Erfworld.com." is considered valuable in any way. I guess the hardcore fans will pay for it, but you are haemorrhaging readers while you concentrate on doing stuff like that, no?

I think Rob is a good writer, and Erfworld has had alot of good artists, but I dont understand the focus the Erfworld team has on extracurricular stuff. Why branch out into pin-ups, postcards, 3D models, kickstarters, fanfictions, schmuckermining, conventions, boardgames when the story is on hiatus?

Remember "How to make 10/10ths of a living"? That didnt really work out. Erfworld has a good core fanbase that will keep this thing afloat. But I will bet readers will come back in droves if you guys got back to focusing on the comic.

Bad take, friend.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    This is what is actually happening, Tsjoff:
    Balder is dealing with some serious Dirt. And, yeah, he knows that Erfworld is
    Tsjoff wrote:
    haemorrhaging readers

He's offering what he can. He can't concentrate on writing and his team can't concentrate of drawing. What they can do, though, as a way to keep the lights on and give an opportunity to the die hard fans who have been saying "Balder, let me give you money!" is this.

Is it something for everybody? Obviously not. Would we all rather things be different, with comics and fun cards and games? Yeah. Of course. But, Team Balder needs patience and understanding and support a lot more than you and I need tarot cards.

From personal experience, Balder is super down for people doing stuff based around his comic, as long as you don't try to sell the stuff. If you want tarot cards, go make 'em. Offer them to Balder and let him Kickstart the print run.

Again, from personal experience, doing a large scale Erfworld fan project is more difficult than you'd think. I started an audio-only project for Book 0, and even started casting characters. I realized after a couple months, that it was a larger project than I could handle, because I had a real job and other artistic ventures that I needed to focus on.

So, if you're willing to take on the large project of designing 77 unique Erfworld tarot cards, formating them for a printer and negotiate a deal with Bicycle, let me know. I'll help ya out, my dude.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    As someone who owns like 3 tarot decks, I absolutely want a Carnymancers tarot deck.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Tsjoff wrote:

Well, I do not know much about feedback about those. I guess they were at least not a big hit. But you cannot really compare the two. The voice acted motion comics where a bonus, an experiment.
    The new digital format is necessary for Erfworld to be finished in Robs lifetime.

Tsjoff wrote:

I seriously doubt that it took too much time to create the badge and as for the Erfmover, that was something for the 3D artist and did not need much involvment from Rob. Also the whole thing was clearly labeled as a fundraiser because the updates are halted and only Rain or Shine plegdes do come in.

Tsjoff wrote:

Pin-ups: They where meant as bonus and inducement for the toolbox. They also where something which used only the artists time and not Robs.

Postcard: Inducement for higher Toolship levels.

Kickstarters: Fundraisers for the things explained in the various kickstarter projects.

Fanfictions: Provided by the fans. True, it turned out that Rob lacks the time to read all of them as a way to test quality. Also the "reward fanfiction" ideas had to be mostly scrapped and the few aspects which where not scrapped (Dwagon of the month) are on hiatus until further notice.

Conventions: Its a way to promote Erfworld. Also Rob and Linda (and the rest of Team Erfworld) like to meet their fans? And leave their house occasionally?

Boardgames: As for Erfworld, mostly a fan effort with trying to puzzle out rules for an Erfworld tabletop. The cards and other stuff where mostly work for the Artists.

3D models: They started as a bonus/experiment/something fun to do. Now they might be the only way Erfworld will ever get finished.

As far as I understand the problem is this: Basically every picture has to be created from scratch again by the artists. And they have to remember tons of stuff and look at old art to keep things consistent. And that can get very tedious and time consuming: How many steps have the stairs to the temple again? Would that building be visible from that height? How big is character x compared to character y in that perspective? And how does that change in the other perspective?

The old art does not remember. The new 3D models do. When you need a new perspective you rotate the city by 23 degrees and you got a new perspective. There is still a lot of work to be done of course but static things like the cities will not have to be reinvented every damm picture. That saves a lot of time over a sufficient amount of art pieces.

The problem is that it will take a huge investment of resources and time now to save a much bigger amount of resources and time over the next 5 to 10 years of Erfworld.

But it is necessary. Rob is not getting younger. And at the current pace he would probably die of old age before the main story is finished. And Rob's time is not the only problem. The artists keep burning out. The constant non-Erfworld real life shit that keeps falling on Team Erfworld does not help of course but I would guess that the core problem (Rob would need about 72 hours in a 24 hour day to get the story finished with the original concept) would have surfaced anyway, if maybe a few years later. Erfworld and the scope of the story got simply to big for such a small team. There is a reason why things like movies have huge lists of people in the credits.

As for the Carnymancer's tarot, its mostly art. Therefore it is something for Xin to work at while Rob deals with getting the 3D modeling on track and handling "Horrible Thing Two". As well as Horrible Thing One.

Tsjoff wrote:

You do have point with your criticsms, at least in part. Rob thinks big and has a habit of biting off more then he can chew. A couple of things did not work out as planned, some promises could not be kept or kept up (Mostly those which would have needed more of Robs second most precious resource after his health, time (Linda does not count as resource)). Some of those things are Robs fault and some are Force majeure.
    Now I for one still love Erfworld, no need to use past tense for me and I will continue to support the comic. If you want to stop doing so or stop reading the comic that is of course your choice. No one has an obligation to like the comic, like the changes or keep supporting the Team.

And the Team is focusing on the comic (as far as "All the damm real life shit" allows). The foundation for the future of the comic. Because as has been explained by Rob, the old model is unsustainable.

The Imperfect Warlord
    Avatar by Noip. Thanks again for that!

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm 
    I just want more Erfworld, because i loved it. I did not mean to upset anyone. Sorry if i did.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld