Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: n00b questions
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 am 
Not sure whether this is the right place to ask this. Feel free to move it, if not. As i just popped, there's some common knowledge that i'm missing.

Firstly, where is there more info about the badges? Many of them are pretty self-explanatory, or clarified in the Toolshed, but what about the others? For example, what's a Personal Army, and how does one scoop units for it?
Also, what's the shortest time one can be subscribed for?
And what are the requirements for being inserted as a cameo?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: n00b questions
     Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I was gonna be coi about how to get a personal army, since I didn't want any others getting the badge, thereby degrading it's quality due to its proliferation: but then I remembered that at this moment in time there is no way to get your first unit.

I actually forget the means to gain the Decrypted Stabber. Supposedly in the future you're able to purchase units who'll be a drain on your amount of schmuckers you've got.

Decrypted units were only available for a limited time only. Get them while surplies last. The surplies haven't lasted.
    Quote:
    Also, what's the shortest time one can be subscribed for?

Subscribed for what?
    Quote:
    And what are the requirements for being inserted as a cameo?

You know, up until this hour I assumed that there was something on the Toolshed page. Maybe it is a kickstarter perk?

As for a more certain response to your question, albeit more useless: Rob (or the powers that be) has to be willing and able to draw you. As to what circumstances lead to this /shrug.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 am 
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Subscribed for what?

The arkin' toolshed! :stanley:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 am 
    As far as I know, there is no minimum amount of time to be subscribed for. If you are already a Tool, then maybe you should clear your cookies/cache? Sometimes the badges are funny that way.

If you're not a tool, it sounds like you're trying to game the system by cutting and running. Don't take my word for it (considering that I have never been a tool), but in order to have that badge one has to be a tool. If you cease being a tool, then POOF goes the tool badge.

But I don't know. That's just my guess from the badge description.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:27 am 
    Lol no, this isn't a scheme for gaining badges. I just have an urge to contribute, but since the charge is per update, as opposed to just one-time, i figure there should be a time limit; i'd merely want to know what the minimum time limit is, since i'm kinda low on rands these days.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:01 pm 
    This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    I actually forget the means to gain the Decrypted Stabber.

You had to visit the Comic page that was up on the anniversary. It was available up until the next comic page was posted.

Jacior wrote:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Here's the list of badges and descriptions (some of which are helpful to you), plus notes which ones cannot be gotten anymore. That page also marks the ones you have.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 am 
    Well, Trooper Scooper doesn't actually list a "last available" date, so... :?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Clove Logo wrote:
    Well, Trooper Scooper doesn't actually list a "last available" date, so... :?

You get that one automatically when you get your first unit (or as long as you have units).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:38 am 
    But Anon says there's no longer a way to get any units. I remain confused. :=S

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am 
    Clove Logo wrote:

At the present time there is no way to get any units. That doesn't mean that there won't be events where you can obtain some in the future.

Also from what I hear, when the feature for purchasing units is unrolled there is going to be an upkeep cost to go along with it. Only the decrypted units (which are event only) won't cost you upkeep.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:27 am 
    (snipped by Anomynous 167, but keeping for the additional info)
    Clove Logo wrote:

There isn't a way at the moment to get units. The decrypted stabber was given away for the 10 year anniversary. The decrypted orly was part of the playing card Kickstarter. In the future, (not decrypted) units will be available (possibly purchase for shmuckers; will have upkeep); this is part of what Anomynous 167 said.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 pm 
    Jaxad0127 wrote:

I think what you meant to say was that I "sniped" your comment.

And by "sniped", I mean "jacked".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm 
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Jaxad0127 wrote:

I think what you meant to say was that I "sniped" your comment.

Meh, English.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:14 am 
    So, does anyone know what the minimum time is, for 'shed subscriptions? Plenty of units here are, or have been tools, so surely someone knows, no?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 am 
    I suppose that you can PayPal for one update and then unsubscribe.

Whatever the consequences are for the badge, are unknown to me.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I have a noob question of my own as well, I am starting to gain momentum in writing more on a fanfic but I am not sure how to put it on my blog here. I see most others that write here only post links in a thread to a story saved in personal blog sections and it makes the forum thread stay much neater looking than multiple lengthy posts. Can anyone advise on how to utilize that website feature?

Unrelated but if anyone has advice on how to make an erf version of something that is already crazy/weird in reality let me know please. (There is a thing called a sandbox tree which in real life has a spiked trunk, poisonous and mildly caustic sap and, the fruit explodes when ripe to spread seeds like shrapnel from a grenade.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:10 am 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    PastorofMuppets wrote:
    I have a noob question of my own as well, I am starting to gain momentum in writing more on a fanfic but I am not sure how to put it on my blog here. I see most others that write here only post links in a thread to a story saved in personal blog sections and it makes the forum thread stay much neater looking than multiple lengthy posts. Can anyone advise on how to utilize that website feature?

When you go on the Submissions tab, there's a green button with the legend "Submit a Post" on the right hand side, usually nestled between advertising or announcements.

From there you can write or design your posts. Word of warning, copy pasting into the site's editor has always been finicky (especially if you work on a tablet like I do). You may want to copy over your work from a PC, and do extensive use of the Preview function before posting.

The Excerpt tab is for a description of your post, though it's unlikely more than a few words will show up if you include a Thumbnail to help illustrate it.

The subject Tags are, frankly, underutilized in my opinion. I usually tag the magic disciplines present in one of my fics, maybe the terrain and a few thematic things. I've at least once used the tag for another fanfic (Finding Sanctuary) because of a crossover, which I hope helps spread the love.

Lastly, if you hit the Preview button then click on Edit once again, it lets you access advanced options like toggling comments, setting it with a unique status like draft, private (only a select group of friends can view), and public. Publish date is nice if you want to set it up to go up in advance, though I've never been quite so prolific to use.

On the topic of posting story in the forum vs. blog, it's entirely up to you. You get a more continuous, lively discussion with a combined comments thread for all your updates, but there's a non zero chance you'll get published if you post it as a blog. Personally, I only post links into the forum thread for my fics now because it vastly simplifies chasing down and correcting typo's and minor retconjuring.

Hope this helps, and can't wait to see more of your fic! :D :jetstone:

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed!

Unjust Deserts -- Updated August 12!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:14 am 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    PastorofMuppets wrote:

Top menu "Submissions"
    On the right "Submit A Post" (it's just under the top most ad)
    Fill in the blog and choose "Save" from the bottom
    -you can edit the entry later on
    -"Submit into Series" is empty by default, you can add to an existing series you have, but you can't create a new series on your own, the Erfworld net team (maybe Red) sometimes turns multi page stories into series.

PastorofMuppets wrote:
    Unrelated but if anyone has advice on how to make an erf version of something that is already crazy/weird in reality let me know please. (There is a thing called a sandbox tree which in real life has a spiked trunk, poisonous and mildly caustic sap and, the fruit explodes when ripe to spread seeds like shrapnel from a grenade.)

Insert dick jokes. They always work.

E: ...and ninja'd

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:13 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Spruce wrote:

E: ...and ninja'd

Eh, you did cover the other half of his question and the "Series" function, which I forgot about.

Still. :mrgreen: :charlie:

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed!

Unjust Deserts -- Updated August 12!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld