Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 pm 
E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
bladestorm wrote:
Trilink a foolamancer and a hippiemancer.

That brings to mind the joke that Star Trek's holodeck would be society's last invention.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    SteveMB wrote:
    ftl wrote:
    Thinkamancer-Foolamancer-Thinkamancer link, probably. That could make units think and feel and see themselves on fire.

This raises an interesting question -- what kind of super-Thinkamancy could a pure two-or-three Thinkamancer link perform?

I have a theory that the dish is actually just three thinkamacers linked together.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    SteveMB wrote:
    ftl wrote:
    Thinkamancer-Foolamancer-Thinkamancer link, probably. That could make units think and feel and see themselves on fire.

This raises an interesting question -- what kind of super-Thinkamancy could a pure two-or-three Thinkamancer link perform?

I believe that question has been more or less answered: http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-02.png

Basically, all that is added is more perspective from the different Thinkamancers being in different positions, and there are ways for a single Thinkamancer to achieve the same feat. What normally makes a Trimancer link so special is the different understandings of reality giving a whole greater than the sum of its parts. All a triple Thinkamancer link would do is give input from three different g-string nodes and insights into the same discipline.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Reading that link...Wha... is Isaac illiterate?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:02 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    drachefly wrote:

I did not find any indication of illiteracy, but maybe I just missed it. Or maybe it was inferred from something else. What gave you such an indication?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    THERE, DAGNIT! In that link.

Quote:
    The intent of a commander in issuing an order to a non-speaking unit, or of a Ruler in issuing an order to a remote field unit, was one of the most interesting forms of natural Thinkamancy, Isaac felt.
    Awhile back I made the claim on here that rulers could command units in the field, but couldn't remember where I had learned that from. I allowed myself to be convinced that I had either made it up or been thinking of natural allies because I couldn't remember this stupid quote and because JS relied upon notes to recall Trammenis. Turns out JS was just being ridiculous, as usual.

Wha? Oh no... this has nothing to do with literacy.

Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am 
    effataigus wrote:
    THERE, DAGNIT! In that link.

Quote:
    The intent of a commander in issuing an order to a non-speaking unit, or of a Ruler in issuing an order to a remote field unit, was one of the most interesting forms of natural Thinkamancy, Isaac felt.
    Awhile back I made the claim on here that rulers could command units in the field, but couldn't remember where I had learned that from. I allowed myself to be convinced that I had either made it up or been thinking of natural allies because I couldn't remember this stupid quote and because JS relied upon notes to recall Trammenis. Turns out JS was just being ridiculous, as usual.

Wha? Oh no... this has nothing to do with literacy.

I can see Jetstone relying more on their hats than natural thinkamancy. For one, they have a hat magician, so may as well at least make use of his craft. For another, the written message seems much more formal, much like a written thank-you note instead of a phone call; official orders to commanders seem to fit the need for such formality. Also, Jetstone seems very much caught up on tradition, and their hat magic messages may predate widespread use of thinkamancy, natural or not. Finally, Jetstone has the nobility staff shove very far up their rear apparatus; any ruler can use natural thinkamancy to issue order, but Jetstone uses Hat Magic... because they can. Sure it is less efficient and relies upon items, but only a select few sides have what it takes to use Hat Magick. That peasant Stanley the Worm can't use Hat Magic, so obviously Hat Magick communication is as superior to natural thinkamancy as Jetstone is superior to GK.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    SteveMB wrote:
    ftl wrote:

A four-thinkamancer link!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    bladestorm wrote:
    drachefly wrote:

I did not find any indication of illiteracy, but maybe I just missed it. Or maybe it was inferred from something else. What gave you such an indication?

He thought of making a sundial with marked times, but he didn't see any way making himself able to tell what he was supposed to remember at that time.

Right at the beginning. Of course erfians can write - Jillian can, even - but I'm left wondering whether there's some weird limitation like reports only. The eyebooks go on subverbalization, not writing. Units can read arbitrary text, but that's different.

Hrm. Well, Banhammer wrote a book on a nearly arbitrary topic. I guess there goes that theory.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
    drachefly wrote:
    bladestorm wrote:
    drachefly wrote:

He thought of making a sundial with marked times, but he didn't see any way making himself able to tell what he was supposed to remember at that time.

Right at the beginning. Of course erfians can write - Jillian can, even - but I'm left wondering whether there's some weird limitation like reports only. The eyebooks go on subverbalization, not writing. Units can read arbitrary text, but that's different.

Hrm. Well, Banhammer wrote a book on a nearly arbitrary topic. I guess there goes that theory.

I read that as being like my app that connects to Outlook Calendar to informs me that I have a meeting in 15 minutes, but doesn't tell me what the meeting is or where I need to be. A secondary mechanism would be needed track what event was supposed to happen at that time.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Finwe wrote:
    SteveMB wrote:
    ftl wrote:

A four-thinkamancer link!

I bet a three thinkamancer link, could link trilinks! A three-three-think-link could be made. This in turn could link two other arbitrary three-three-links. This link of three three-three-links would contain 27 casters. 8 of which could be non-thinkamancers. Think of the power! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:30 pm 
    bladestorm wrote:
    I read that as being like my app that connects to Outlook Calendar to informs me that I have a meeting in 15 minutes, but doesn't tell me what the meeting is or where I need to be. A secondary mechanism would be needed track what event was supposed to happen at that time.

He was already thinking writing something there - why not include a several character reminder? I guess it wasn't a convenient writing surface? Maybe proper writing can only be done with pens on paper?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:37 pm 
    cheeseaholic wrote:
    Oh god no I just realized that the Titans are playing FATAL.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! BURN IT! Get it OUT of my head!!!!!! :D :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    bladestorm wrote:
    I can see Jetstone relying more on their hats than natural thinkamancy. For one, they have a hat magician, so may as well at least make use of his craft. For another, the written message seems much more formal, much like a written thank-you note instead of a phone call; official orders to commanders seem to fit the need for such formality. Also, Jetstone seems very much caught up on tradition, and their hat magic messages may predate widespread use of thinkamancy, natural or not. Finally, Jetstone has the nobility staff shove very far up their rear apparatus; any ruler can use natural thinkamancy to issue order, but Jetstone uses Hat Magic... because they can. Sure it is less efficient and relies upon items, but only a select few sides have what it takes to use Hat Magick. That peasant Stanley the Worm can't use Hat Magic, so obviously Hat Magick communication is as superior to natural thinkamancy as Jetstone is superior to GK.

Also, message hats allow flexibility in sending messages that aren't covered by natural thinkamancy (e.g. Jillian's scouting expedition at the beginning of Book 1 -- the hat substitutes for a scout unit's intel-reporting ability).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 pm 
    SteveMB wrote:
    Also, message hats allow flexibility in sending messages that aren't covered by natural thinkamancy (e.g. Jillian's scouting expedition at the beginning of Book 1 -- the hat substitutes for a scout unit's intel-reporting ability).

Right, I don't remember if all hats are two wayo r not, but I think some were, and a two way hat allows for the scouts/field units to exchange up to the minute information with the CoC before orders are given; I still think that the pretentious factor weighed in heavily though. We've seen enough of the JS royals to know that the entire side is a bit obsessed with pomp and pagentry

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Wanda has lots of reasons to want revenge including for her brother and last request by her father. Wanda just switched sides. Wanda was star for most of this story and did not achieve "inner peace (through superior firepower) yet".

Wanda is a croakomancer, so "superior firepower" game is often building up a horde of uncroaked by ambushing/swarming enemies.

It is Olive's turn so either Olive needs to be brought out of air by Jack foolomancy or Wanda disrupting broomstick (like she disrupted Ansom's carpet), or some other flying means, or else Faq will need to build up undead horde and convince their leader that Olive is evil rather than savior, or Olive counter attack and fail.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:32 pm 
    Has anyone else speculated that Jack is Charlie, yet?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Everyone is secretly Charlie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    splexis wrote:
    Has anyone else speculated that Jack is Charlie, yet?

Yes, Along with pretty much everyone(Including Bogroll) except Parson himself.

Actually, now that I've said that out loud, I can almost see that one working. Like... Ever seen Fight Club?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am 
    There was a Parson theory with time travel.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions