Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 am 
User avatar
Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm
Posts: 565
ManaCaster wrote:
Man in the Mists wrote:
And I get the feeling that if Jack had gone with Jillian at Spacerock, she would have made him her Chief Caster and consort. Which, now that I think about it, is good for Vinnie that he didn't.

Chief Caster, probably. I mean, Vanna is a hired barbarian, and assuming the new heir or any of the other units in production are casters, they would be low level. But consort? Definetely not. That is one of the main reasons Jack has thus far refused to rejoin her. In fact, it was the main reason he refused during the battle for the gap to Faq.


While it seems like Jillian did not get together with Jack, thus far we have nothing to suggest that's the reason he has refused to rejoin her. In fact he seems regretful for his choice NOT to rejoin her. Heck, if i had to guess, i'd say it's probably a preditamancy/fate thing that keeps him serving GK.

_________________
My Deviantart

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm
    Posts: 126
    MonteCristo wrote:
    ManaCaster wrote:
    Man in the Mists wrote:
    And I get the feeling that if Jack had gone with Jillian at Spacerock, she would have made him her Chief Caster and consort. Which, now that I think about it, is good for Vinnie that he didn't.

    Chief Caster, probably. I mean, Vanna is a hired barbarian, and assuming the new heir or any of the other units in production are casters, they would be low level. But consort? Definetely not. That is one of the main reasons Jack has thus far refused to rejoin her. In fact, it was the main reason he refused during the battle for the gap to Faq.


    While it seems like Jillian did not get together with Jack, thus far we have nothing to suggest that's the reason he has refused to rejoin her. In fact he seems regretful for his choice NOT to rejoin her. Heck, if i had to guess, i'd say it's probably a preditamancy/fate thing that keeps him serving GK.


    Actually, we do: Jack, himself. He said it himself, I think to Wanda. Don't remember which update though.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 am 
    User avatar
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 pm
    Posts: 199
    1. If this were a movie I would watch the hell out of it.

    2. Orwell blinding Jillian could have been seen as a non-damaging way to try to neutralize the fight so discussion could resume... AND HE GOT GUTTED. Ouch. Anyone believe my theory or did Orwell turn enemy when he turned sides?

    3. Maybe Wanda went to go get Crapsack...

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am
    Posts: 801
    "Actually, we do: Jack, himself. He said it himself, I think to Wanda. Don't remember which update though."

    Jack might end up as consort if Ansom and Wanda aren't around, but he didn't want to be only #3 in her heart. Jack said reason he stayed was Parson > Jillian. (Learning from Parson was worth more. *IF* he was Jillians #1 love that might have changed.)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm
    Posts: 1439
    Noigel wrote:
    2. Orwell blinding Jillian could have been seen as a non-damaging way to try to neutralize the fight so discussion could resume... AND HE GOT GUTTED. Ouch. Anyone believe my theory or did Orwell turn enemy when he turned sides?



    Nah. He turned enemy.

    Hes a Haffaton unit now, not a FAQ unit. He has direct orders to protect Olive.

    _________________
    For those in the USA: Have you wondered what you would do during in the civil rights movement, or in the 1930s?

    Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

    Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 am
    Posts: 472
    ftl wrote:
    Noigel wrote:
    2. Orwell blinding Jillian could have been seen as a non-damaging way to try to neutralize the fight so discussion could resume... AND HE GOT GUTTED. Ouch. Anyone believe my theory or did Orwell turn enemy when he turned sides?



    Nah. He turned enemy.

    Hes a Haffaton unit now, not a FAQ unit. He has direct orders to protect Olive.


    Looking at it from Orwell's perspective, not only has he turned but also the wise King of FAQ has ordered the violent and impatient heir and warlord to stop. Orwell is helping both rulers he cares about raining in a rogue warlord. So in his mind he was no enemy of FAQ.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:05 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm
    Posts: 183
    Hidden Sanity wrote:
    Do we even know if Orwell is a high level? I know he's the chief lookamancer, but that doesn't necessarily go by level... Maybe higher levels can blind at range... or those with combat expertise...


    We know its traditionally by level, and took a ruler's command to change it up in Goodminton. Even without combat, Orwell's the Faq caster most likely to be casting every turn, and could easily stay ahead of other non-combat casters. And we know Orwell had a heavy casting burden, it kept him out of court appearances sometimes. So we don't know, but its quite likely he was the highest level Faq caster.

    Of course, that would make Wanda a dilemna for a ruler like Banhammer. I expect he'll get away from level and make an appointment if necessary after this. Maybe Marie, by importance in the absence of a Lookamancer.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 pm
    Posts: 299
    Saladman wrote:
    Hidden Sanity wrote:
    Do we even know if Orwell is a high level? I know he's the chief lookamancer, but that doesn't necessarily go by level... Maybe higher levels can blind at range... or those with combat expertise...


    We know its traditionally by level, and took a ruler's command to change it up in Goodminton. Even without combat, Orwell's the Faq caster most likely to be casting every turn, and could easily stay ahead of other non-combat casters. And we know Orwell had a heavy casting burden, it kept him out of court appearances sometimes. So we don't know, but its quite likely he was the highest level Faq caster.


    Respectfully disagree. Ironically, if Orwell did his job properly (i.e. successfully spot potential invaders in time for Jack to veil the whole city), it is likely that he never engaged any enemy units directly, where as Jack (the guy actually casting the veils that would have deceived attacks) would technically be engaging those units and therefore reaping the leveling benefits. The bio of Lady Artemis pretty much demonstrates that it takes forever to level absent engagement with enemy forces. I think it is quite possible that Jack (who has already been identified as a Master Class foolamancer) is the most powerful Faq caster. Indeed, the fact that the position might otherwise go to the court's Fool solely by dint of level may be why Faq doesn't have a Chief Caster.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm
    Posts: 408
    Could be that simply casting gains casters xp, like simply training can gain infantry levels, albeit slower. So Ace and Bunny spending the last of their juice each turn makes sense.

    I want to see how badly a thinkamancer / foolamancer link up can trick someone's mind. Since Maggie mentioned she and Sizemore are compatible with a safe close rapport, I guess she and Jack aren't. Jack and Bunny, then? Jackrabbit? Umm...

    Banhammer won't disband Jill, because he is an actual pacifist, unlike the wicked witch here.

    _________________
    T'was a splendidly speedy defection.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 am
    Posts: 66
    I note that Olive can't flee forever. It's Faq's turn. If she leaves the palace, the city falls by dint of having no more defenders in the garrison (if there are garrison units left, they have only to hunt them down based on Wanda's intel and Marie's prediction). And if the city falls, Olive is captured automatically, since she can't expend move on Faq's turn to leave the hex.

    Nowhere to run to, baby!
    Nowhere to hi-ide!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm
    Posts: 1
    boegiboe wrote:
    I It's Faq's turn.



    this is wrong, in the previous update, the steam golem announces the start of haffaton turn. So she can run rather easily enough, I'm more inclined toward Wanda blasting down the broom, or a gwiffon chase with Jillian

    edit: here is the specific line:
    Erfworld wrote:
    It was the tin golem. Steam was shooting from the tip of his conical hat, the signal for the start of Haffaton’s turn.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 am
    Posts: 230
    Arkinam wrote:
    boegiboe wrote:
    I It's Faq's turn.



    this is wrong, in the previous update, the steam golem announces the start of haffaton turn. So she can run rather easily enough, I'm more inclined toward Wanda blasting down the broom, or a gwiffon chase with Jillian

    edit: here is the specific line:
    Erfworld wrote:
    It was the tin golem. Steam was shooting from the tip of his conical hat, the signal for the start of Haffaton’s turn.

    It's unclear if the steam was part of Jack's foolamancy. A diversion that let him pickpocket Olive's axe.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 am
    Posts: 66
    Ah, my bad. Arkinam is correct that it's Haffaton's turn.

    Dang it.

    However...if there are no Garrison units hiding, and if there are no exits from the Garrison directly to an adjacent hex, then if Olive left the garrison and entered the city proper, she would still be captured (and fall from the sky, wrapped in chains). If Orwell is not croaked, he would count as holding the garrison, and there's no way Banhammer would allow him to be slaughtered in front of him. But, those two plops and a crack sounded pretty fatal for Orwell.

    Oh, Olive has to stay under a roof the whole time, since being outside on a broom would count as entering the airspace and thus exiting the garrison.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:22 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 994
    wrecan wrote:
    It's unclear if the steam was part of Jack's foolamancy. A diversion that let him pickpocket Olive's axe.

    Nah. They violated Chillaxe's spell => spell is over => definitely a new turn.

    This update would be much more exciting for me if Jillian wasn't foretold to kill the overlady. Prophecies always seemed to be dangerous for stories... especially when they are true. I suppose if Olive gets away then it would make Jillian a more sympathetic character in book 1 though... Jillian could afford to be reckless because she knows she immortal until she offs the direhippie.

    Hahha, of course.. prequels have the same issue :P

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm
    Posts: 924
    Olive could be heading for the Magick Kingdom. We don't know the actual prediction, so it could be that Jillian destroys Faq. Or Olive could name Banhammer as heir designate, and then abdicate the throne from the Magick Kingdom.

    As far as other predictions go -- Haffaton will be the agent of Faq's destruction. It's going to be interesting how the rest of this plays out.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm
    Posts: 308
    effataigus wrote:
    wrecan wrote:
    It's unclear if the steam was part of Jack's foolamancy. A diversion that let him pickpocket Olive's axe.

    Nah. They violated Chillaxe's spell => spell is over => definitely a new turn.

    This update would be much more exciting for me if Jillian wasn't foretold to kill the overlady. Prophecies always seemed to be dangerous for stories... especially when they are true. I suppose if Olive gets away then it would make Jillian a more sympathetic character in book 1 though... Jillian could afford to be reckless because she knows she immortal until she offs the direhippie.

    Hahha, of course.. prequels have the same issue :P


    Though Rob already has laid groundwork for predictions being broken/shifted. If say someone went out of their way to off Jillian presumably only to stop the prediction, they might succede but fate would snap another string into place.


    Also, I like your Olive still alive bit there, I know people have been bouncing it around based on Janice, but I do like the idea of her being alive considering the war coming to the magic kingdom, maybe she flees as a refuge into the new court of FAQ or the magic kingdom opens itself to warlords and a lon awaited prediction comes to a close.

    _________________
    "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:04 pm
    Posts: 111
    bladestorm wrote:
    Olive could be heading for the Magick Kingdom. We don't know the actual prediction, so it could be that Jillian destroys Faq. Or Olive could name Banhammer as heir designate, and then abdicate the throne from the Magick Kingdom.

    As far as other predictions go -- Haffaton will be the agent of Faq's destruction. It's going to be interesting how the rest of this plays out.

    I'm pretty sure that the city isn't the capital, therefore, no portal. The capital is the city of Haffaton, and so even though Efbaum was formerly a capital, Olive would need to be at her old capital to transfer it over.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:57 pm
    Posts: 310
    Ambug666 wrote:
    So I wonder how this affects the debate on free will on Erfworld. Jillian and her father have vastly different ideas of what is good for their side, and I'm not certain there is an objective correct answer. Banhammer gave an order and Jillian disobeyed. We've seen this before, but not quite so blatantly. I think this is pretty convincing that at least some units on Erfworld have free will.


    It doesn't contradict anything we didn't already know. From the Erf wiki on Duty:
    http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Duty

    "Duty can backfire when a Unit truly believes their Ruler is too incompetent to make decisions or what they want would destroy the Side, and decide to overrule them. Maggie demonstrated this by giving Stanley a suggestion, Thinkamancer style, and Caesar and Benjamin when they refused to let Don King empty the treasury to make a loan to King Slately.Erf-b2-p059"

    It also states that Duty has the highest effect on the Chief Warlord.

    Jillian is acting out of Duty. She clarifies this herself word for word that what the King wants would destroy the side. So it's not free will.


    Last edited by DoctorJest on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm
    Posts: 924
    Salem wrote:
    effataigus wrote:
    wrecan wrote:
    It's unclear if the steam was part of Jack's foolamancy. A diversion that let him pickpocket Olive's axe.

    Nah. They violated Chillaxe's spell => spell is over => definitely a new turn.

    This update would be much more exciting for me if Jillian wasn't foretold to kill the overlady. Prophecies always seemed to be dangerous for stories... especially when they are true. I suppose if Olive gets away then it would make Jillian a more sympathetic character in book 1 though... Jillian could afford to be reckless because she knows she immortal until she offs the direhippie.

    Hahha, of course.. prequels have the same issue :P


    Though Rob already has laid groundwork for predictions being broken/shifted. If say someone went out of their way to off Jillian presumably only to stop the prediction, they might succeed but fate would snap another string into place.


    Also, I like your Olive still alive bit there, I know people have been bouncing it around based on Janice, but I do like the idea of her being alive considering the war coming to the magic kingdom, maybe she flees as a refuge into the new court of FAQ or the magic kingdom opens itself to warlords and a long awaited prediction comes to a close.

    Actually, I can see Jillian purposefully not killing Olive just out of spite for Fate and predictions. Get her addicted to heroine buds and leave her to rot in the field. With no directing leadership the kingdom just crumbles, Faq conquers and reclaims their three cities, and this tiny kingdom called Gobwin Knob has a coupe. Later on in Book 4 somewhere, the remnants of Haffaton are discovered, and the CWL of Faq finally kills the Overlord of Haffaton.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am
    Posts: 193
    bladestorm wrote:
    Faq conquers and reclaims their three cities, and this tiny kingdom called Gobwin Knob has a coupe.

    Gobwins Knob get an open topped runabout?
    Shouldn't really pick on typos when people are keying in at speed, but I thought it was funny.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: 5HT, Apollion42, Bing [Bot], DrunkMonkGar, Eclipsedlunus, Google [Bot], kaylasdad99, Pointyleaf, Ytilanigir0, Zalminen and 17 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: