Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:48 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm
Posts: 146
Smurfton wrote:
tgriff02 wrote:
If you can work out what Haffaton is a pun on, though, do tell.


I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>


Also in regards to Predictamancy's tactical value... we don't know nothing about it. It is possible, that Predictamancy is nearly useless in battle. But consider the futile air defense Haffaton engaged in, to me that says that Jack provided the decoys but it was Marie who predicted which ones will be hit, and more importantly which ones won't. If I had to describe this as a mechanic AKA a Rule of Erfworld I would say that predictamancers can see the small things that will happen in the near future, but can also see big things, important things, which have a very high probability of happening (Fate) even for distant futures.

This is also in line with what we know of Delphie Temple I think, she feared the fact that she had no fate and so manipulated her ruler to keep her out of combat, so she couldn't make battlefield predictions but also wasn't likely to die. Of course this does not prove my theory, all it proves is the fact that we don't know that much of Predictamancy, but it does give it strength.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm
    Posts: 548
    C9H20 wrote:
    Smurfton wrote:
    tgriff02 wrote:
    If you can work out what Haffaton is a pun on, though, do tell.


    I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>

    Big trucks are also called half-tons. Being as Haffaton is huge, I'm certain something can be worked out there.

    _________________
    "All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

    "The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:11 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 am
    Posts: 55
    Banhammer might be a pacifist, but I doubt he's an idiot. He won't be planning to find a way to attack Haffaton, but I don't think he'll be easy to outmaneuver even given his susceptibility to flattery and excessive faith in human decency. Among other things, unlike Jillian, Wanda, Tommy, and everyone else who has gotten completely outmaneuvered by Olive, it's probable that the philosopher-king of a caster-rich pacifist state might know something about Hippiemancy.

    Really, the running theme of Book 0 of no one really paying much attention to casting except within their discipline has seriously soured my opinion of the competence of all involved.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm 
    User avatar
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm
    Posts: 1149
    Website: http://askcountdowner.tumblr.com
    Location: Nowhere Atoll
    C9H20 wrote:
    Also in regards to Predictamancy's tactical value... we don't know nothing about it. It is possible, that Predictamancy is nearly useless in battle.

    Er... not true. Like, at all. We know more than a few things about about it, and it's actually incredibly useful in battle.

    There's a pretty thorough demonstration of Predictamancy in action in IPTSF Text 20.
    Rob in IPTSF 20 wrote:
    It amounted to the caster using her juice to see things happen a second or two ahead, so that she could aim where the enemy would be, and to move where the enemy's return blows and arrows would not land.
    [...]
    Most importantly to this plan, a Predictamancer could know whether or not a shot or blow she was about to initiate would be a hit. If it wouldn't, then she simply did not take the shot.

    Really, it's same dilemma faced by every caster. They can do some REALLY impressive things in combat, but they don't give leadership bonuses & are really costly if lost. It's not just Delphie & Firebaugh, no Ruler sends their casters out. There's a reason it was such a big deal that Slately sent the Ditto-, Doll- and Healomancer out to Exposition Bridge at the start of LIAB.

    _________________
    "Are you always so pessimistic?"
    "Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
    ---
    Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 pm
    Posts: 219
    Housellama wrote:
    C9H20 wrote:
    I would say drug addiction, as in huff a ton <of drugs>

    Big trucks are also called half-tons. Being as Haffaton is huge, I'm certain something can be worked out there.


    You have never heard the expression to "come down on you like half a ton of bricks" ? It seems to suit Haffaton very well.

    _________________
    Release the quakken!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
    Posts: 1075
    Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada
    MonteCristo wrote:
    Ya i'm not expecting things to go down this way... The most telling thing I feel is that Haffaton will fall and the fated prediction that Jillian will be the one to croak Haffaton's ruler;


    Good, someone else isn't ignoring that prophecy. But going to throw a curveball at your prediction here:

    Quote:
    Olive is inviting them most likely with the full intention of finding a good chance to croak them all; Banhammer the peacemaker, not so much.


    No, I don't think she would. Not that many casters devoted to peace. She may have had to resort to non-peaceful means, but she probably still has that bit of idealism that set her on the path to Peace through War. She can't absorb everyone -- the schmucker cost is too high. But there is power before her that she may be able to subvert into her service. But... there is another reason to bring in Banhammer, alive, and talking. He can do something she wants.

    Banhammer can order Jillian to kill Judy, and end the prophecy. That, I think, is Olive's goal in these discussions. And she can let them all go free, if that is achieved. Even Jillian. She'll conquer them later.

    _________________
    http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

    http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:54 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 2:06 pm
    Posts: 75
    sanjmerchant wrote:
    Still a little woozy from that lojban pun.
    Which one ?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 993
    First things first... nice catch, Berserkas.

    Second, a quick list of a couple ways that Faq has open to them of getting rid of various people despite the Chillaxe:
    1. Poison... if nothing else, they could force a flower OD.
    2. Upkeep... if indeed Haffaton is footing the bill. Personally, I think Banhammer is too honest to harm Haffaton this way... since it would involve lying to himself about whether this constitutes violence, and also gives Haffaton plenty of time to flood the city with units and let the Chillaxe expire.
    3. Capture and move... trees can capture units by encasing them without "engaging"... well, we've see another unit do something similar once (to Ansom), and Faq happens to have a bunch of those units on hand. Smoosh, move, squish, done. Even if that special of megalogwiffs' would constitute an engagement... hover, harvest, smoosh (a la Ansom's Spidew).
    4. Shoes... assuming these can be used to send Judy home.
    5. Bore to death... Banhammer's specialty.
    6*. Drachefly (possibly quoting someone else): foolamancy false-floor.
    7. Anyone else have ideas?

    *Edited

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.


    Last edited by effataigus on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 pm
    Posts: 1909
    Ideas? What was said before - that floor over there is an Illusion.

    slb wrote:
    sanjmerchant wrote:
    Still a little woozy from that lojban pun.
    Which one ?


    Loj Banhammer

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:51 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm
    Posts: 130
    tgriff02 wrote:
    HandofShadows wrote:
    Berserkas wrote:
    On the archway, right above Olive's head...

    Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

    I bet this has no actual meaning or implications, but it's an odd oversight to make anyway. :P After all, Efbaum is supposedly kept exactly the way Haffaton conquered it... why add that symbol to the tower?


    What if that symbol wasn't added at a later date? And I suspect it is not an oversite. Good eye on catching that.


    I agree, it probably wasn't a mistake, and good catch, I missed itt otally until it was pointed out. Natural Signamancyof some sort maybe? Haffaton seems to have the total aura of being the biggest oak tree in the forest that looks impregnable, but is totally rotten inside and constantly on the verge of collapse


    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)

    If so, I'd read it as a warning: three buds equipped on one head is a nice visual shorthand for "too many", resulting in death, or possibly the destruction of a side.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:09 pm
    Posts: 36
    Jinren wrote:
    On the archway, right above Olive's head...

    Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

    If so, I'd read it as a warning: three buds equipped on one head is a nice visual shorthand for "too many", resulting in death, or possibly the destruction of a side.


    The symbol might be from before the flowers were modified to their current nature. Just a field full of dead or a memory of someone fallen.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 pm
    Posts: 1909
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)


    Given the huge load of gear Parson's wearing, I'm going with 'no'.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 am
    Posts: 61
    drachefly wrote:
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)


    Given the huge load of gear Parson's wearing, I'm going with 'no'.


    Given that in all that gear we see only 1 head item/hat being worn by Parson- we can't say for sure one way or the other. However, since all previous images/descriptions have shown only 1 head item at a time being worn, it's like that yes only 1 head item can be equipped/worn at a time.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 993
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item?

    Don't recall earlier discussion, but I think this rule is a reasonable conclusion from Ansom and Jillian's exchange about her taking the hat vs. the helmet at the beginning of book 1... also, the rule fits with what we know about both reality and games (munchkin cheat cards aside).

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 pm
    Posts: 1909
    NYbear wrote:
    drachefly wrote:
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item? (And that the buds are native to Efbaum rather than a later import by Olive.)


    Given the huge load of gear Parson's wearing, I'm going with 'no'.


    Given that in all that gear we see only 1 head item/hat being worn by Parson- we can't say for sure one way or the other. However, since all previous images/descriptions have shown only 1 head item at a time being worn, it's like that yes only 1 head item can be equipped/worn at a time.


    Somehow my eyes skipped over 'hat'. In that case, I suspect 'yes', but perhaps it'd be possible to combine certain hats, like the lobot gear with a skullcap.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:31 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm
    Posts: 308
    effataigus wrote:
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item?

    Don't recall earlier discussion, but I think this rule is a reasonable conclusion from Ansom and Jillian's exchange about her taking the hat vs. the helmet at the beginning of book 1... also, the rule fits with what we know about both reality and games (munchkin cheat cards aside).

    I would say it does not line up with our knowledge of reality but fits our knowledge of almost all games. I have in fact worn more than one hat at once, granted I only recieved the magical properties of the first I put on.

    drachefly wrote:
    Somehow my eyes skipped over 'hat'. In that case, I suspect 'yes', but perhaps it'd be possible to combine certain hats, like the lobot gear with a skullcap.


    Or a regular hat with a tiny hat on top of it.

    _________________
    "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 pm 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Shiny Red Star Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:48 am
    Posts: 502
    Well, I certainly didn't expect THAT! Now I can't wait for the next update...

    _________________
    Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
    Hint:
    Spoiler: show
    It's my fanfiction. :)


    My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Give it a go.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 pm
    Posts: 1909
    Salem wrote:
    effataigus wrote:
    Jinren wrote:
    Did we decide earlier that units can only equip one hat item?

    Don't recall earlier discussion, but I think this rule is a reasonable conclusion from Ansom and Jillian's exchange about her taking the hat vs. the helmet at the beginning of book 1... also, the rule fits with what we know about both reality and games (munchkin cheat cards aside).

    I would say it does not line up with our knowledge of reality but fits our knowledge of almost all games. I have in fact worn more than one hat at once, granted I only recieved the magical properties of the first I put on.


    This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:51 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm
    Posts: 308
    drachefly wrote:
    This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.

    Hair Extensions + Anything = Aweful + Anything
    Toupée + Hairpin = Awesome
    Hair Scrunchy/Bow + Helmet = Lenneth

    Definetly betting only one headgear per character. Though for all we know there will be a mad hatamancer who will have a spell that lets him wear hats within hats. But I could see wig and hat as a reasonable real life combo.

    _________________
    "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm
    Posts: 923
    Salem wrote:
    drachefly wrote:
    This is also shown by almost all console RPGs - you wear armor, and you wear your clothing over your armor. You may also wear your wig over your helmet, I guess.

    Hair Extensions + Anything = Aweful + Anything
    Toupée + Hairpin = Awesome
    Hair Scrunchy/Bow + Helmet = Lenneth

    Definetly betting only one headgear per character. Though for all we know there will be a mad hatamancer who will have a spell that lets him wear hats within hats. But I could see wig and hat as a reasonable real life combo.

    Or sunglasses, earrings, nose stud, baseball cap, hoodie, bluetooth, and headphones.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Digit, doc, Hero of Shadows, Lazerus_Shade, Moonflyer and 9 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: