Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 pm 
This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
Offline
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm
Posts: 922
No one in particular wrote:
Something I just noticed… Marie didn't say the magic phrase when she specified that Haffaton would destroy Faq.

There was no "I Predict it!"

Maybe unless a Predictamancer actually declares that something is a capital-P Prediction, there's no guarantee of accuracy?

There's no guarantee of accuracy in anything they predict. All they see is point D somewhere in the future, not the path needed to get there from point A (the present). Between points A and D are the easy way, the hard way, and the very hard way. If the predictamancers give out too much information, others may sway their fate into the very hard way while trying to deny point D is inevitable. Take the fate of Faq. Marie could have seen with perfect clarity that Wanda was going to be welcomed into Faq (point B), would receive a prediction about her fate and the tools (point C), and that leads her to contact Stanley to try to get the Hammer, which brings about point D. "Haffaton will be the agent of Faq's destruction" sounds a lot better than "We are going to welcome in a caster soon and make her a part of our side, and share with her most of our city's secrets for she will be as one of us. Soon after, she will betray us, and bring in a nonroyal warlord of great power who will totally obliterate us. Then that same caster will re-animate the king into a mockery of his former self, seduce the princess, and defect to the side of the non-royal warlord, taking the Fool with her." Second version is gonna get Jack ostracized, and there's no way this uppity group of philosophers is going to welcome Wanda into the city. Stating that it will be Haffaton, the self-preservation instincts they have, coupled with the fact that they now know that Wanda is a major source of Haffaton's power, they will readily welcome Wanda into itheir city, thinking they have crippled the giant that is their impending doom. That's gonna get Faq closer to point B.

Basically, Predictamancer have to be vague or just outright lie sometimes in order for the future to unfold as they've seen it. Giving the details brings about the Very Hard Way.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm
    Posts: 548
    bladestorm wrote:
    No one in particular wrote:
    Something I just noticed… Marie didn't say the magic phrase when she specified that Haffaton would destroy Faq.

    There was no "I Predict it!"

    Maybe unless a Predictamancer actually declares that something is a capital-P Prediction, there's no guarantee of accuracy?

    There's no guarantee of accuracy in anything they predict. All they see is point D somewhere in the future, not the path needed to get there from point A (the present). Between points A and D are the easy way, the hard way, and the very hard way. If the predictamancers give out too much information, others may sway their fate into the very hard way while trying to deny point D is inevitable. Take the fate of Faq. Marie could have seen with perfect clarity that Wanda was going to be welcomed into Faq (point B), would receive a prediction about her fate and the tools (point C), and that leads her to contact Stanley to try to get the Hammer, which brings about point D. "Haffaton will be the agent of Faq's destruction" sounds a lot better than "We are going to welcome in a caster soon and make her a part of our side, and share with her most of our city's secrets for she will be as one of us. Soon after, she will betray us, and bring in a nonroyal warlord of great power who will totally obliterate us. Then that same caster will re-animate the king into a mockery of his former self, seduce the princess, and defect to the side of the non-royal warlord, taking the Fool with her." Second version is gonna get Jack ostracized, and there's no way this uppity group of philosophers is going to welcome Wanda into the city. Stating that it will be Haffaton, the self-preservation instincts they have, coupled with the fact that they now know that Wanda is a major source of Haffaton's power, they will readily welcome Wanda into itheir city, thinking they have crippled the giant that is their impending doom. That's gonna get Faq closer to point B.

    Basically, Predictamancer have to be vague or just outright lie sometimes in order for the future to unfold as they've seen it. Giving the details brings about the Very Hard Way.

    Clarification: We don't actually now that Marie has Predicted anything at this point except that Faq will fall and that Wanda will be involved. All of the other stuff could come about later. And it's probably a good idea to take anything any Predictamancer says with a grain of salt, for the above reasons. They tend to be sneaky little people that twist words into knots in the service of Fate.

    _________________
    "All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

    "The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 am 
    User avatar
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
    Posts: 1132
    Website: http://askcountdowner.tumblr.com
    Location: Nowhere Atoll
    Housellama wrote:
    Clarification: We don't actually now that Marie has Predicted anything at this point except that Faq will fall and that Wanda will be involved. All of the other stuff could come about later. And it's probably a good idea to take anything any Predictamancer says with a grain of salt, for the above reasons. They tend to be sneaky little people that twist words into knots in the service of Fate.


    I assume those are two separate thoughts, right?
    1. Marie Predicted Faq's fall
    2. We know Wanda is involved
    Kind of sounds like one big prediction, the way you said it...

    Anyway!

    My point was, "I Predict it" is the phrase that lets you know you CAN trust what a Predictamancer says.

    I've done some trawling, and picked out the times the phrase actually came up:
      1. Janis will stack with Parson. Marie
      2. Something about Wanda being "the one." Marie
      3. The Thinkamancers will let Parson through the Jetstone Portal Phil
      4. Frenemy & Quisling will break alliance soon, Goodminton will NOT beat Haffaton, and if Wanda keeps talking it will bring ruin to Goodminton. Delphie
      5. Banhammer will fall, and so will the capital. Marie

    Aside from the 2nd one, every utterance of "I Predict it" has been about a specific thing that has come to pass.

    _________________
    "Are you always so pessimistic?"
    "Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
    ---
    Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am
    Posts: 1191
    Zeroberon wrote:
    Okay I thought that might be the case. It seemed like you were saying that you required proof that Turnamancers could turn units at all, because you didn't believe they could (ignoring Decryption).
    No, I was saying that I required proof that the 'hammer 'tamed' people (or any unit besides dwagons, actually).
    effataigus wrote:
    I agree with your argument, though I'm beginning to wonder if Wanda and jack DID turn.
    How would you ever arrive at that conclusion? Stanley, as Overlord, knows the location and general activities of GK units via natural thinkamancy. Any other GK unit can look at a unit and know if it is a GK unit (if not, any unled unit would have to immediately attack unless they were allies), which applies to Stanley the CWL, who said "Bam! She turned!" If Wanda and Jack were not GK units, Stanley and every other Gk unit would know it instantly. Instantly anywhere for Stanley, and instantly on sight for other GK units.
    Zeroberon wrote:
    At first I :?:'d, and then I :lol:'d
    Me, too. But, please do correct your post.
    No one in particular wrote:
    Maybe unless a Predictamancer actually declares that something is a capital-P Prediction, there's no guarantee of accuracy?
    I think it's more that there are wheels within wheels going on here. Marie, as a member of at least one of the Xantos pileup going on, can't be counted on to always speak the truth, even to her king, because her loyalties are divided. And she could give conflicting information to the readers just by speaking the truth to one person while giving another story to a second. Or, what Bladestorm said. :)

    _________________
    How using capslock wins arguments:
    Zeroberon wrote:
    So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 993
    Oberon wrote:
    effataigus wrote:
    I agree with your argument, though I'm beginning to wonder if Wanda and jack DID turn.
    How would you ever arrive at that conclusion? Stanley, as Overlord, knows the location and general activities of GK units via natural thinkamancy. Any other GK unit can look at a unit and know if it is a GK unit (if not, any unled unit would have to immediately attack unless they were allies), which applies to Stanley the CWL, who said "Bam! She turned!" If Wanda and Jack were not GK units, Stanley and every other Gk unit would know it instantly. Instantly anywhere for Stanley, and instantly on sight for other GK units.

    I think you are objecting to a miss-communication of my point, but it still gets at an interesting question. When I said "didn't turn" I meant "in her/his heart/mind"... they definitely switched sides formally, but they might still be motivated by serving Banhammer's goals for Erfworld. Banhammer might have ordered them to turn.

    However, I do wonder how much loyalty is involved in switching sides. Clearly Wanda was able to undermine Faq while still appearing as a unit of Faq (or else she would have been cut down at the dinner table). Therefore I'm assuming Wanda could remain loyal to Banhammer even while "turning" to Gobwin Knob.

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am
    Posts: 1191
    effataigus wrote:
    Clearly Wanda was able to undermine Faq while still appearing as a unit of Faq (or else she would have been cut down at the dinner table). Therefore I'm assuming Wanda could remain loyal to Banhammer even while "turning" to Gobwin Knob.
    Well, sure. But turning has a specific meaning in the comic with regards to units and what side they are on. You might want to come up with a different term to avoid confusing the discussion.

    _________________
    How using capslock wins arguments:
    Zeroberon wrote:
    So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:29 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm
    Posts: 871
    Also, Wanda said that she was trying to get him killed, not let him destroy Faq.

    _________________
    “I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

    -The Song of Maybe

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am
    Posts: 1191
    You're right. Wanda thought that Stanley would be killed and that she would attune to the 'hammer, in accordance with the prophecy*. Instead she judged that Stanley would be victorious as she had told him he would, and so she turned to make his victory the sweeter. If she had not turned, she may have died with the sack of FAQ


    * 10 quatloos for those who understand the reference.

    _________________
    How using capslock wins arguments:
    Zeroberon wrote:
    So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Commoble, dfinlay, eltotsira, Frost, Google [Bot], HighJumper, Marzo, sensate and 8 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: