Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm 
User avatar
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 356
New One is up.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 am
    Posts: 230
    Lovely comic!! And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. Olive will not be happy about Jillian's escape (assuming this isn't all happening in thinkspace).

    Next stop... the tables turn when Jillian returns and abducts Wanda, and the paper tiger that is Haffaton starts to crumble.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
    User avatar
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
    Posts: 4402
    Location: Morlock Wells
    I doubt Jillian will successfully take the Capital. Wanda knows that a side with fliers, turns of practice staying hidden, and experience as mercenaries, now knows where the capital is and how poorly defended it is. If Jillian returns, it will be better defended or have a secret weapon defense.

    _________________
    "I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
    GJC wrote:
    Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
    There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:35 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm
    Posts: 262
    0beron wrote:
    I doubt Jillian will successfully take the Capital. Wanda knows that a side with fliers, turns of practice staying hidden, and experience as mercenaries, now knows where the capital is and how poorly defended it is. If Jillian returns, it will be better defended or have a secret weapon defense.



    Assuming Wanda tells them of the danger.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm 
    User avatar
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
    Posts: 4402
    Location: Morlock Wells
    Hmmmm yes very good point.

    _________________
    "I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
    GJC wrote:
    Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
    There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am
    Posts: 193
    So this is the way Wanda finds Faq. Classic really, let a prisoner think they have escaped by there own abilities, then trace or use them in some way. Remember how much control Wanda had over Jillian in Book 1. Also, the boat may be monitored in some way - left there for just that purpose. However, what Wanda does with the information will be interesting as she has to see to her revenge and escape herself.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 pm 
    User avatar
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
    Posts: 4402
    Location: Morlock Wells
    If Wanda is doing this to find FAQ, then it's definitely not a Thinkamancy thing. Jillian was REALLY pissed in Book 1 when Wanda used a full-fledged Suggestion on her. A level of pissed that suggests it hadn't gone that far before.

    _________________
    "I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
    GJC wrote:
    Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
    There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm
    Posts: 1436
    Wanda, the poison pill.

    She can't act against her own side directly. But she CAN capture an enemy, torture said enemy, find out that she's an heir to some side within reach, and conveniently give her the tools she needs to escape.

    I'm 99% sure that Wanda knew this was coming. The question is whether she did this to find FAQ herself, or to create a roundabout way for FAQ to find her.

    _________________
    For those in the USA: Have you wondered what you would do during in the civil rights movement, or in the 1930s?

    Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

    Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.


    Last edited by ftl on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm
    Posts: 308
    0beron wrote:
    If Wanda is doing this to find FAQ, then it's definitely not a Thinkamancy thing. Jillian was REALLY pissed in Book 1 when Wanda used a full-fledged Suggestion on her. A level of pissed that suggests it hadn't gone that far before.

    Or a level of pissed that suggests a lover had broken a promise to her. Perhaps an oath she would never tamper with her mind again. Though it didn't seem THAT angry.

    _________________
    "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 pm 
    User avatar
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
    Posts: 4402
    Location: Morlock Wells
    Unrelated note...what's with the hats? Wanda brought more than just uncroaked to Haffaton? :p

    _________________
    "I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
    GJC wrote:
    Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
    There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm
    Posts: 548
    Ooooh. An interestingly little nugget dropped very casually in today's comic.

    Quote:
    You rarely saw self-powered vehicles—only a Turnamancer could make one

    Turnamancy is the element of Motion on the Erf axis. The idea that they can make self-powered vehicles when that is the basis of their discipline makes sense. What intrigues me is that Turnamancers can do all those other things as well. I always thought of Erf as inanimate, but it seems that's it is a lot more than that.

    _________________
    "All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

    "The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm
    Posts: 1436
    Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

    Erfworld runs on puns. We've already seen how 'turn'amancy can be used to turn a unit to your side, and how it can affect game 'turns', and now stuff like paddleboats is also turnamancy.

    _________________
    For those in the USA: Have you wondered what you would do during in the civil rights movement, or in the 1930s?

    Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

    Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:18 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm
    Posts: 308
    ftl wrote:
    Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

    Erfworld runs on puns. We've already seen how 'turn'amancy can be used to turn a unit to your side, and how it can affect game 'turns', and now stuff like paddleboats is also turnamancy.

    BSamancy, I want to tuuurn this from crap into crapgolems. Bestmancy ever.

    _________________
    "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 993
    Loved it!

    As a hard but brittle material, it would have perhaps made more sense to score the glass with the ceramic chip before punching it than to punch through the glass using it. My suspension of disbelief is restored when considering that this is Erfworld, however. Perhaps Jillian knew she could perform function "smash glass" if armed with anything with property "harder than glass", and there weren't any pebbles about for her to use before because Erfworld isn't that detailed. I mean the world, not the comic.

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm
    Posts: 548
    ftl wrote:
    Turnamancy, as in 'turning' wheels and gears.

    Erfworld runs on puns. We've already seen how 'turn'amancy can be used to turn a unit to your side, and how it can affect game 'turns', and now stuff like paddleboats is also turnamancy.

    I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.

    _________________
    "All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

    "The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm
    Posts: 993
    BCCroaker wrote:
    So this is the way Wanda finds Faq. Classic really, let a prisoner think they have escaped by there own abilities, then trace or use them in some way. Remember how much control Wanda had over Jillian in Book 1. Also, the boat may be monitored in some way - left there for just that purpose. However, what Wanda does with the information will be interesting as she has to see to her revenge and escape herself.


    Nah, Wanda would never sneak around and invite a foreign agent to perform a sneak attack on her adoptive side's capital. Don't be silly ;)

    _________________
    Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:46 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm
    Posts: 2521
    Housellama wrote:
    I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.
    We've seen hints that 'turning' a unit might involve torture (Jillian complaining that the Turnamancer didn't know how to 'play right', IIRC). Torture devices that involve turning? The rack, perhaps?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm
    Posts: 1189
    Somehow, I feel that lying about a person dying was wrong, even if it helped Jillian escape.


    Regarding the vehicles, it makes sense that a turnamancer can make those, in an Erfworld sort of way that we've all gotten used to. I don't think that extends to a turnamancer being able to anything if the word 'turn' can be squeezed in there somewhere.

    So far, turnamancers can turn units, end a turn when linked to someone with an artifact, shorten the number of turns it takes to produce a unit, and now create self-powered vehicles that involve moving parts, plus whatever I have forgotten. Keep in mind too that those self-powered vehicles are probably slower and most definitely weaker than the large ships, that a city can pop plenty of crew (infantry) for in 2-3 turns. A lot of casters seem to be able to create some form of golem, pet, mount, or unit, so it seems reasonable. We haven't heard everything about Erfworld magic yet.

    _________________
    Toolshed - let's get to Milestone 4 - Rob & Linda can do things like buy a house and have a fancy wedding. Plus, Erfworld bedtime story!
    - Thanks to everyone for helping to reach Milestone 3! :)
    - You can Friend users to highlight their posts!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am
    Posts: 1572
    Beeskee wrote:
    Somehow, I feel that lying about a person dying was wrong, even if it helped Jillian escape.


    Regarding the vehicles, it makes sense that a turnamancer can make those, in an Erfworld sort of way that we've all gotten used to. I don't think that extends to a turnamancer being able to anything if the word 'turn' can be squeezed in there somewhere.

    So far, turnamancers can turn units, end a turn when linked to someone with an artifact, shorten the number of turns it takes to produce a unit, and now create self-powered vehicles that involve moving parts, plus whatever I have forgotten. Keep in mind too that those self-powered vehicles are probably slower and most definitely weaker than the large ships, that a city can pop plenty of crew (infantry) for in 2-3 turns. A lot of casters seem to be able to create some form of golem, pet, mount, or unit, so it seems reasonable. We haven't heard everything about Erfworld magic yet.

    Turnamancers can: turn units, increase production, make self-powered items, and all for some degree of off-turn actions (movement at least). In addition they can perform all sorts of shenanigans when linked with other casters, like every caster type ever.

    However, I suspect similar things could be accomplished with other magic types and some creativity. Hat magic for example could create an ever falling waterfall to accomplish similar results. (Maybe)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
    Posts: 907
    Location: Internets the World of Webs
    Interesting... Two questions pop into mind:

    First, was there ever really a Kiln Kenny, or was he a complete fabrication?

    Second, it seems a little too convenient that the only two ships in Haffaton's port that Jillian could crew by herself were specialized for sailing in two different directions. Even if it wasn't planned, Haffaton should be able to figure out which way Jillian was going based upon which boat she took.


    MarbitChow wrote:
    Housellama wrote:
    I can totally understand how it runs a paddlewheel. It grants Motion to Erf. It's the intangible things that it does (like game turns and unit loyalty) that I find interesting. I didn't think of those things as being on the Erf axis.
    We've seen hints that 'turning' a unit might involve torture (Jillian complaining that the Turnamancer didn't know how to 'play right', IIRC). Torture devices that involve turning? The rack, perhaps?

    Really, is it that hard to accept that the capabilities of a caster could be based on puns? :roll: :lol:

    _________________
    "The Wizard is Charlie!"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lizzidi, silverplated, TempestFox, threezero98 and 18 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: