Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:39 pm 
Offline
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 am
Posts: 27
For some time now I have always wanted to realy get into a strong RTS and fight out some tactic heavy battles (other than chess, which secretly is in fact an RTS) but I just don't know what to play. Warhammer looks cool, but frankly it is pricy and if I want to play I need to either find other freinds willing to shell out for their own peices or go play at the local gaming store, which would be cool, but I heavly suspect that I would get thrashed by superior (and more expencive) equiptment, even if my lack of experience does not come into play. Online games look interesting as well but typicly I try to avoid putting to much stock into paying money for downloads and such.

So I call out to you wise ones of the internet, can you set aside my conseptions, or recomend the perfect game?

((ps I tend to sway twords fanticy settings))

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm
    Posts: 65
    Location: San Diego, California
    You might like Warcraft 3. You can either buy a hard copy or purchase a digital download from Blizzard's online store. It's a pretty good RTS. It also has some very good custom maps made by players, including DotA, which is made out of pure awesome.

    _________________
    The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:23 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 1:00 pm
    Posts: 3
    So if something cheap and fun is what you're looking for then here ya go man
    http://www.brikwars.com/
    Strategy game not unlike warhammer and it uses legos, which are MUCH cheaper than warhammer figures. Rules are also free and the site I believe has links to sites which sell lego stuff specifically for Brikwars.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:31 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 am
    Posts: 24
    Prometheus wrote:
    You might like Warcraft 3. You can either buy a hard copy or purchase a digital download from Blizzard's online store. It's a pretty good RTS. It also has some very good custom maps made by players, including DotA, which is made out of pure awesome.


    HoN will be the death of DotA :D

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm
    Posts: 65
    Location: San Diego, California
    Drasha wrote:
    Prometheus wrote:
    You might like Warcraft 3. You can either buy a hard copy or purchase a digital download from Blizzard's online store. It's a pretty good RTS. It also has some very good custom maps made by players, including DotA, which is made out of pure awesome.


    HoN will be the death of DotA :D

    I've played HoN... in its current form, it's at BEST a tiny expansion pack to DotA. 90% of the content is copied and renamed from DotA, and the original content isn't too original. If I'm going to pay for a new game, I want it to actually be a new game, not a photocopy of an old one. I'm not shelling out thirty bucks for an improved matchmaking system and graphics.

    _________________
    The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 am
    Posts: 24
    Prometheus wrote:
    Drasha wrote:
    Prometheus wrote:
    You might like Warcraft 3. You can either buy a hard copy or purchase a digital download from Blizzard's online store. It's a pretty good RTS. It also has some very good custom maps made by players, including DotA, which is made out of pure awesome.


    HoN will be the death of DotA :D

    I've played HoN... in its current form, it's at BEST a tiny expansion pack to DotA. 90% of the content is copied and renamed from DotA, and the original content isn't too original. If I'm going to pay for a new game, I want it to actually be a new game, not a photocopy of an old one. I'm not shelling out thirty bucks for an improved matchmaking system and graphics.


    Matchmaking system improved graphics ability to reconnect to games server hosted games stats tracking impossible to cheat multi language support multi operating system support better shop interface better clan support better game choice options more maps better net code reducing lag orb stacking new heros can be added faster an actual company who job it is to make the game better. It also cured cancer and killed Hitler.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm
    Posts: 65
    Location: San Diego, California
    Drasha wrote:
    Prometheus wrote:
    I've played HoN... in its current form, it's at BEST a tiny expansion pack to DotA. 90% of the content is copied and renamed from DotA, and the original content isn't too original. If I'm going to pay for a new game, I want it to actually be a new game, not a photocopy of an old one. I'm not shelling out thirty bucks for an improved matchmaking system and graphics.


    Matchmaking system improved graphics ability to reconnect to games server hosted games stats tracking impossible to cheat multi language support multi operating system support better shop interface better clan support better game choice options more maps better net code reducing lag orb stacking new heros can be added faster an actual company who job it is to make the game better. It also cured cancer and killed Hitler.

    Half the stuff you talked about does not relate to the gameplay, but rather to the setup of each game. If HoN can get more original content, then I might buy it. But as it stands, it's almost all cosmetic/convenience upgrades.

    _________________
    The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:08 am
    Posts: 4
    For any of you looking for an RPG game, I am DMing an aventure. If you would like to join, let me know. I can give you all the details. We could use up to three more players. The main thing I want, as a DM, is roleplaying.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:40 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm
    Posts: 65
    Location: San Diego, California
    Bakshara wrote:
    For any of you looking for an RPG game, I am DMing an aventure. If you would like to join, let me know. I can give you all the details. We could use up to three more players. The main thing I want, as a DM, is roleplaying.

    No offense, but this really doesn't belong in this thread... we're talking about RTS games.

    _________________
    The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 am
    Posts: 144
    How could C&C be left out?

    Everyone loves Command & Conquer. Any copy of it. The goal of each map is different across campaigns. In Warcraft you have two types of maps, which I don't even remember. I think it was get across the map or gather resources, but mostly the campaign was just get across the map. It wasn't even hard, or strategic. WC3's original content can be beaten by a deaf dumb and blind monkey. Not to say DotA isn't good - but that's player-made content. Blizzard doesn't own it. And beyond that, the only time WC3 is good is in head-to-head. C&C can be a strategic nightmare solo.

    You have a variety of different objectives. Survive for so long, take out the enemy base, CAPTURE the enemy base, capture this convoy, take out 80 enemy units with 5 gunners 4 scouts and a tank, get to the other side of the map, build a nuclear missile, etc etc. It's fun, and it exercises your brain.

    Further more, if you just want Strategy, check out Fantasy Wars and/or Elven Legacy. Same system, I think. I was told that Elven Legacy is the sequal to Fantasy Wars but, having not played Fantasy Wars, I don't feel lost in the story of Elven Legacy. Great, great game. It's Turn-Based Strategy and, honestly, one of the best strategy games I've ever played. I highly recommend it.

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

    Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: