Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming

Post subject: Graphics Card Problem
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 pm 
WLM: eclipse.sunderland@gmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: eclipse.sunderland@gmail.com
AOL: eclipse.sunderland@gmail.com
Hey, I upgraded my graphics card and PSU today and ever since Windows has been a lot slower - slower starting up and slower in general also. Performance is better in games though, which is good as that's why I bought the graphics card.
The light on my case is ALWAYS blinking and I can ALWAYS hear the little whirring sounds, both things that used to occasionally occur when opening a programme or generally when the computer was thinking, but when I check my CPU usage it is not high at all (at 5% right now). My memory is also only just under half full.
I cannot think what the problem is, I'm sure I've done something wrong - here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Q9400
Asus P5Q-Pro
Radeon HD 6950
4GB RAM
XFX 850w
Windows7 64-bit

My old specs were the same but with two HD 4850s and a Storm 900w PSU.

Thanks.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    When is the last time you have had your computer 'tuned up'?

I assume you have at least cursory familiarity with computers, but not enough to solve the problem on your own, so I'd recommend you take it into a shop and have them look at it if the following suggestions do not help.

Computers occasionally need maintenance - defragmenting, cleaning out the registry, all sorts of things like that. If your graphics card is running properly and you don't have mysterious huge programs running in the background, the slowness is most likely just to do your computer needing some clean up. My old desktop took over 5 minutes to finish starting up from the moment I logged into my account, but after that it worked fine. The problem was, I was not taking good care of it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:10 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    The power supply should not make a diffence.

Try running Driver Cleaner to remove the old video drivers then reinstall the newest ones from ATI's site.

To get Driver Cleaner dowload it from a site you trust like Cnet or similar.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming