Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 pm 
User avatar
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 361
New One is up.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:03 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:56 pm
    Posts: 6
    Wow. And the characters see the dice rolled for them! Awesome!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 am
    Posts: 308
    AOL: N64PSDCnow
    Location: Salisbury, Maryland
    Wonder if seeing Parson play a tabletop game involving dice would stir up any memories for her.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm
    Posts: 1125
    What a nice spot of reconquering that girl's done. :)

    Still two enemy sides unnamed...

    Sixty wrote:
    Wonder if seeing Parson play a tabletop game involving dice would stir up any memories for her.

    Odds on Clay roping her into gaming?

    _________________
    Ceterum censeo regnum artium magicarum esse delendum.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm
    Posts: 183
    Quote:
    Clay was shaking his head. “No, no...I think it’s the opposite.” He smiled, as someone who was speaking on a topic of great familiarity. “The dice describe the world. They don’t determine it. A Mathamancer can tell you how many dice will be rolled, how many points’ll be lost when you’re wounded. He’ll tell you what’ll probably happen, and possibly happen, and what can’t happen. But your choices still make it happen.”


    This, if correct (I assume it is, for a caster speaking about his discipline), answers a pretty fundamental question about Erfworld. Battle plans, tactical decisions, personality, and judgement do really matter, to the extent of determining outcomes. I have an idea that's been discussed on the board before, though I don't recall when. I happen to like this interpretation more than choice and strategy just being an illusory overlay on a wargame engine, but the other was more plausible until now.


    Whispri wrote:
    Sixty wrote:
    Wonder if seeing Parson play a tabletop game involving dice would stir up any memories for her.

    Odds on Clay roping her into gaming?


    Signamancy (hot girl, pale figure-painting guy in stained clothes living in a basement) says odds approach zero.


    Last edited by Saladman on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:21 am 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm
    Posts: 1748
    Website: http://www.tendonitisexpert.com
    1. Can a Croakamancer ressurect a bad roll.....?


    2. All hail Inner Peace and the update schedule!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:29 am 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm
    Posts: 1748
    Website: http://www.tendonitisexpert.com
    Hmm. So she's currently level 3 (novice class). I wonder if there's a tiered system, meaning she gets to level X, graduates from novice level to adept(?) level 1, then later after leveling up moves on to Master class level 1.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:29 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm
    Posts: 1125
    Saladman wrote:
    Whispri wrote:
    Sixty wrote:
    Wonder if seeing Parson play a tabletop game involving dice would stir up any memories for her.

    Odds on Clay roping her into gaming?


    Signamancy (hot girl, pale figure-painting guy in stained clothes living in a basement) says odds approach zero.

    Tell that to Parson.

    _________________
    Ceterum censeo regnum artium magicarum esse delendum.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:20 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm
    Posts: 556
    OneHugeTuck wrote:
    Hmm. So she's currently level 3 (novice class). I wonder if there's a tiered system, meaning she gets to level X, graduates from novice level to adept(?) level 1, then later after leveling up moves on to Master class level 1.

    A Sizemore update said a caster's class has nothing to do with level (although I'm sure masters are generally still higher levels than novices). So you could potentially have a level one master and a level ten novice, even though it would be unlikely.

    Sizemore Rockwell wrote:
    Between the volcano link-up and his three recent levels (two from traps and combat, one from all of the city rebuilding), Sizemore was now a greater Dirtamancer than he ever imagined he could become. He had not actually crossed the threshold to Master class, but that could happen any time a caster gained powerful new insight into his discipline or major class.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm
    Posts: 1125
    I'm a bit surprised to learn that there was a night before she rode to war, in Episode 004, Overlord Firebough spoke of their plan being to 'sally now', which rather gave me the impression they'd be leaving that very turn.

    _________________
    Ceterum censeo regnum artium magicarum esse delendum.


    Last edited by Whispri on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:56 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
    Posts: 526
    Yahoo Messenger: grixit
    Location: santa maria, ca
    I'm guessing there's a Side called Transsopition. Or is it Roonerspism?

    _________________
    Read, like there won't be a movie
    Game, like the die rolls don't matter
    Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

    10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
    Posts: 526
    Yahoo Messenger: grixit
    Location: santa maria, ca
    cloudbreaker wrote:
    OneHugeTuck wrote:
    Hmm. So she's currently level 3 (novice class). I wonder if there's a tiered system, meaning she gets to level X, graduates from novice level to adept(?) level 1, then later after leveling up moves on to Master class level 1.

    A Sizemore update said a caster's class has nothing to do with level (although I'm sure masters are generally still higher levels than novices). So you could potentially have a level one master and a level ten novice, even though it would be unlikely.

    Sizemore Rockwell wrote:
    Between the volcano link-up and his three recent levels (two from traps and combat, one from all of the city rebuilding), Sizemore was now a greater Dirtamancer than he ever imagined he could become. He had not actually crossed the threshold to Master class, but that could happen any time a caster gained powerful new insight into his discipline or major class.


    2 Dimensional advancement. Level gives you raw power and/or casting skill, Class gives you depth of understanding. Effect of spell depends on both, but more on Class. Say E=J(L+C^2), where J is the amount of Juice used.

    _________________
    Read, like there won't be a movie
    Game, like the die rolls don't matter
    Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

    10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am 
    User avatar
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm
    Posts: 565
    The more and more I think that delphie will be the true cause to goodmitten's fall...
    Like she already determined that it would fall, and rather than try to save it, she will actually be counter-productive and focus only on making sure wanda is ready to escape when everything falls apart.

    _________________
    My Deviantart

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:23 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 pm
    Posts: 211
    Hmm I'm not sure if I'm understanding Clay's explanation here. Is it that if he boosts the luck of a unit, any choice they make is more likely to have better environmental factors (e.g. wind just right on an arrow shot etc.), or they are more likely to make the best choice to succeed, and the outcomes play out from there (parry instead of thrust etc.).

    By his explanation I'm thinking the latter, with luckamancy granting units better intuition about the right choices. If the larger choices, (fire an arrow or do nothing), are easily determined by the units basic training, then the intuition effects the microdecisions - fire now instead of then, or fire at this vulnerable spot.

    It does not effect environmental factors directly, such as the wind itself, or random debris, although potentially it could setup a chain of one unit effecting the environment to effect another units chances. That's left to Fate, perhaps - decides all the things units can't directly?

    _________________
    Image
    MarbitChow wrote:
    Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
    We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm
    Posts: 556
    I have this strange feeling that Delphie may have recalled Wanda (at least in part) so that the Croakamancer doesn't gain more levels and replace Delphie as Goodminton's Chief Caster. Anyone else think this is likely?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:33 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
    Posts: 1075
    Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada
    This is a mechanical update. What Clay is describing is the fundamental mechanics of the conflict system. I say conflict instead of combat, because combat is a sub-set of conflict, allowing the system to extend beyond mere battle.

    This may have been the most important update... ever.

    It's tought to wrap your head around what's happening, because Clay doesn't really talk about enough for some people, I'm sure.

    So, two soldiers (A and B) approach each other. They decide on how to attack and defend against the other and moments later, B lies dead. What happened? There were no rolls. Well, it's like this. The thought of what to do that occurs is the actual roll. There is no environmental dice rolling and then forcing them to action: the dice rolls are the thoughts that guide their actions.

    So, Leadership now makes more sense. If you are in the stack of a Warlord, you can have better thoughts and increase your chances of winning. The same with other bonuses. They all increase the quality of your chosen methods of attack and defense.

    How is this different from our world? Well, superficially, it will appear to be similar, but in the midst of combat, having a leader near can't help you. You're concentrating, looking for openings, moving, predicting... but what you aren't doing is listening to your boss. You can't devote your attention to someone''s voice, or you'll get skewered. That means with or without an Officer near, you'll fight the same way, because you ignore him. In Erfworld, having that Officer beside you allows you to make better choices, wihtout paying any attention to him.

    _________________
    http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

    http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm
    Posts: 1125
    cloudbreaker wrote:
    I have this strange feeling that Delphie may have recalled Wanda (at least in part) so that the Croakamancer doesn't gain more levels and replace Delphie as Goodminton's Chief Caster. Anyone else think this is likely?

    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. At the very least to talk to Wanda before it happened. It's hard to see what the argument is against Wanda being made Chief Caster even now though, Atomic isn't the highest level Warlord in the side, plus Wanda's leadership bonus would be handy to have applied 'Chief' style.

    _________________
    Ceterum censeo regnum artium magicarum esse delendum.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 am
    Posts: 106
    Location: Graz, Austria
    Whispri wrote:
    cloudbreaker wrote:
    I have this strange feeling that Delphie may have recalled Wanda (at least in part) so that the Croakamancer doesn't gain more levels and replace Delphie as Goodminton's Chief Caster. Anyone else think this is likely?

    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. At the very least to talk to Wanda before it happened. It's hard to see what the argument is against Wanda being made Chief Caster even now though, Atomic isn't the highest level Warlord in the side, plus Wanda's leadership bonus would be handy to have applied 'Chief' style.


    Politically, yes, I think it makes sense. It was the first thing that popped in my head when I read it. But then I started reflecting, if it was any other type of caster I think I would agree entirely, but with Delphie being a Predictamancer I am not quite so sure. In a lovely piece of irony, predictamancers are quite difficult to predict! I guess they like it that way, or Rob does :D

    _________________
    I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
    I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:37 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am
    Posts: 109
    doran wrote:
    Hmm I'm not sure if I'm understanding Clay's explanation here. Is it that if he boosts the luck of a unit, any choice they make is more likely to have better environmental factors (e.g. wind just right on an arrow shot etc.), or they are more likely to make the best choice to succeed, and the outcomes play out from there (parry instead of thrust etc.).

    By his explanation I'm thinking the latter, with luckamancy granting units better intuition about the right choices. If the larger choices, (fire an arrow or do nothing), are easily determined by the units basic training, then the intuition effects the microdecisions - fire now instead of then, or fire at this vulnerable spot.

    It does not effect environmental factors directly, such as the wind itself, or random debris, although potentially it could setup a chain of one unit effecting the environment to effect another units chances. That's left to Fate, perhaps - decides all the things units can't directly?

    Well, if we're talking intuition, we've already been told that a Thinkamancer can share a unit's intuition with another. I forget the actual update, but it was around the time the GMTTA was introduced.

    _________________
    My predictions post on the betting thread.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am
    Posts: 109
    Kreistor wrote:
    This is a mechanical update. What Clay is describing is the fundamental mechanics of the conflict system. I say conflict instead of combat, because combat is a sub-set of conflict, allowing the system to extend beyond mere battle.

    This may have been the most important update... ever.

    It's tought to wrap your head around what's happening, because Clay doesn't really talk about enough for some people, I'm sure.

    So, two soldiers (A and B) approach each other. They decide on how to attack and defend against the other and moments later, B lies dead. What happened? There were no rolls. Well, it's like this. The thought of what to do that occurs is the actual roll. There is no environmental dice rolling and then forcing them to action: the dice rolls are the thoughts that guide their actions.

    So, Leadership now makes more sense. If you are in the stack of a Warlord, you can have better thoughts and increase your chances of winning. The same with other bonuses. They all increase the quality of your chosen methods of attack and defense.

    How is this different from our world? Well, superficially, it will appear to be similar, but in the midst of combat, having a leader near can't help you. You're concentrating, looking for openings, moving, predicting... but what you aren't doing is listening to your boss. You can't devote your attention to someone''s voice, or you'll get skewered. That means with or without an Officer near, you'll fight the same way, because you ignore him. In Erfworld, having that Officer beside you allows you to make better choices, wihtout paying any attention to him.

    This also raises the question of whether Parson can improve the personal Luckamancy of casters by playing wargame simulations like he did with Jack. Theoretically, if the wargames are similar enough to Erf, then Parson can give Jack the tactical experience -- and therefore better decision-making -- of a thousand battles as commander without putting anyone at risk.

    _________________
    My predictions post on the betting thread.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Blarghedy and 25 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: