Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Arkensword
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm 
Offline
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 145
Just a thought. It's unlikely, because it's not all shiney and "realistic" like the rest. But what if Parson just melted the fourth Arkentool? What exactly would that imply? Do the Arkentools have some kind of power when one Side possesses all four, or is the game-breaking power of having an Arkentool with no one else having one to counter it enough to guarantee world domination? Can an Arkentool be destroyed like this?

Discuss, and please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

_________________
Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm
    Posts: 565
    Location: Northern Virginia
    Maldeus wrote:
    Just a thought. It's unlikely, because it's not all shiney and "realistic" like the rest. But what if Parson just melted the fourth Arkentool? What exactly would that imply? Do the Arkentools have some kind of power when one Side possesses all four, or is the game-breaking power of having an Arkentool with no one else having one to counter it enough to guarantee world domination? Can an Arkentool be destroyed like this?

    Discuss, and please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

    It couldn't possibly be the fourth known Arkentool, since it didn't even exist yet when Parson read that tidbit of information from his first Stupid Meal package. Also, it looks like part of the drawn art, not one of the rendered images used for the other Arkentools to make them look a bit odd and otherworldly.

    _________________
    Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:30 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
    Posts: 145
    Maldeus wrote:
    please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:48 pm
    Posts: 17
    Maldeus wrote:
    Maldeus wrote:
    please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

    Well, the thing is, because it's such an unlikely, hypothetical situation there's not much motivation to discuss it at all. It's like discussing the implications of decrypted Ansom being Jillian in disguise.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:40 pm 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm
    Posts: 238
    What if the volcano was the fourth tool, the Arkenforge, and our heroes just gave it life?

    ...I don't know, seems like an odd speculation topic to me. Given that the sword probably isn't a Tool (heck, it isn't even a 'tool' with a small t), we don't even know if one would allow itself to be thrown into lava, or if it would melt if that happened. Actually, given the state of the Pliers, it seems pretty likely that the sword would be fine.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:52 pm
    Posts: 197
    Maldeus wrote:
    please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.


    I read as
    Maldeus wrote:
    please discuss my pet theory seriously without mentioning how incredibly unlikely it is.


    I mean, what did you expect? There isn't a single shred of supporting evidence for it.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
    Posts: 145
    What you should have gotten out of that was "I'm bored, let's talk about something," but whatever, rule by majority.

    Although I must say,

    Quote:
    What if the volcano was the fourth tool, the Arkenforge, and our heroes just gave it life?


    I absolutely love this theory.

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:59 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am
    Posts: 830
    Maldeus wrote:
    I absolutely love this theory.


    Also, Parson's sword could re-pop "properly" forged and ready for tempering (in say the donut of doom lake)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:54 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm
    Posts: 2521
    Answering the question of "what happens if an arkentool gets thrown into the lake of lava?"

    I assume that Arkentools, being epic in scope and power, would simple sink to the bottom of the lava lake.
    I also assume that there would be a fire-based unit, like a fire elemental, that would be able to swim through the lava to retrieve it.

    The lava is a terrain type, so it can't be an Arkentool. Also, Arkentools are CGI-rendered, giving them that otherworldly look, which the lake clearly isn't.

    Charlie's dish is the 3rd Arkentool, so we can assume that The Tool is gunning for him next.
    Other tools may be buried or hidden in inhospitable terrain - at the bottom of a sea, frozen in a glacier, deep in a chasm, etc.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:15 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
    Posts: 145
    Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:42 pm
    Posts: 15
    Maldeus wrote:
    Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.



    I think you're reading into it a little too much imo.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
    Posts: 156
    Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity
    Lord of Extinction wrote:
    Maldeus wrote:
    Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.



    I think you're reading into it a little too much imo.

    I disagree. Certainly, we're only likely to see the four known Arkentools for a good while, but the fact that the Stupid Meal specified "known Arkentools" implies that there may be more (or that Rob and Jamie are leaving themselves room to add more later). I wouldn't go looking for them at least until we find out what the fourth known tool is, though.

    As for the Arkensword...nah.

    _________________
    Uncroaked for Hire

    No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:13 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:02 am
    Posts: 6
    I personally think that Sizemore's gonna get the next tool and it's gonna be some kind og Arkenplunger.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:18 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
    Posts: 145
    I hope not. I don't want all the Arkentools stacked on one side. The Toolpire has two already, they don't need any more.

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:36 am
    Posts: 2
    Hmmm... fireworks have started in the courtyard... methinks there is more than one side down there.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 am 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
    Posts: 156
    Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity
    Eh, fireworks could mean anything from totally figurative (an argument) to entirely literal (actual fireworks). I lean toward the former, but I know a number of people think differently.

    _________________
    Uncroaked for Hire

    No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:02 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:17 pm
    Posts: 155
    It's as nice as theories go, but it has two major flaws. First is the fact the sword was not CGI like the 3 known Arkentools, and the second that a sword is not a tool. I could speculate that a Tool would be instantly recognizable by a caster such as Maggie, Sizemore or Wanda, but there's no proof backing that up.

    So far we have a hammer, pliers and a dish. Now if we're speculating, from this line:

    Erfworld Wiki wrote:
    It is also worth noting that one of the earliest patents for a shovel design was given to James B. Sizemore.


    and given the other references in the same page, it's not too far-fetched to assume another Arkentool is the Arkenshovel, with golems as its related unit.

    _________________
    Gentlemen, I like war.
    I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
    I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 am 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:03 am
    Posts: 117
    raphfrk wrote:
    Maldeus wrote:
    I absolutely love this theory.


    Also, Parson's sword could re-pop "properly" forged and ready for tempering (in say the donut of doom lake)


    With a mysterious hand lifting it out of the lava lake like the whole Authorian legend "Lady of the Lake"? That'd be cool, but I don't think the sword is the next arkentool.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm
    Posts: 145
    It depends on your definition of "tool." A sword is not your typical toolbox fair, no, but it could still count if you go by the definition of "a man made thing used for practical purposes that is not a machine."

    _________________
    Image

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: The Arkensword
     Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
    Posts: 156
    Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity
    I wouldn't count a sword as a tool, myself. A plowshare, yes.

    Also, thanks Anton, for bringing up the shovel connection. I hadn't heard that before (mostly since I rarely browse the wiki). Eeeeenteresting.

    _________________
    Uncroaked for Hire

    No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: