Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post subject: Mining shares?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 am 
E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
How do I tell if I'm mining shares? I've been running for a couple hours now, but I haven't earned any spins (and Rob mentioned that he was getting about 20 shares/hour). Am I doing something wrong?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Mining shares?
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    If the miner is working correctly, you should see a stream of text a bit like this:

The speed should not be zero (it can be for a little after launch while it's still starting up, but should sort itself out).

Every so often you should see a SHARE FOUND message, like this:

If you see that, this means your share should have been recorded and reported. I've done some quick checks and it doesn't seem like the system has recorded any shares from you yet, so something is up; does the miner look like this (in which case I'll come up with some more debugging ideas) or does it look noticeably different in what it's saying?

Also, if you know off-hand, it might be useful to know what graphics card you have. If you're not sure, don't worry about it.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    It's all just zeroes. I don't think I have enough GPU memory :(

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    :(

That seems a plausible explanation, especially if it gave a warning early on. I'll see about adding an FAQ entry, and thank you for trying it out and helping narrow refine the troubleshooting instructions.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 am 
    When I pause and restart, I do see the error that I don't have enough GPU memory.

Thanks for your help!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Thanks for this thread -- I have the same issue which I discovered after I came back home to discover four hours of 0.00. Sad facery. :hamstard:

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Attachments:
    Mining Fail.png
    Mining Fail.png [ 44.87 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 am 
    Site Admin
    I'm sorry about this. :(

I've added "My miner speed stays at 0.00Mh/s for more than five minutes" to the troubleshooting FAQ, to hopefully help out other people with a similar situation- it can take a few minutes to get going, but shouldn't stay at 0.00Mh/s for long. Thank you for the effort to contribute and we'll see if we find a way to make it so a wider range of hardware can contribute.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 am 
    is there any way to increase VRAM, besides getting a new graphics card (or a new computer, heh)? I know enough computer stuff to be dangerous, but I never was a gamer, so I never thought about the memory on my graphics cards

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 am 
    Site Admin
    Unfortunately the VRAM is soldered into the card and not upgradeable. :(

Thank you for the interest in helping, though!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Can you just update the hardware detection script to quit immediately if there's not enough VRAM? You're already looking at the list-devices output, and that prints out the memory size. Should be easy to add a check versus some hardcoded value like 3GB.

EDIT: well, I guess I should say, since you can have multiple graphics cards, that it should exclude the ones with insufficient VRAM from consideration, and only quit outright if that leaves you with no GPUs on your list.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 am 
    So I got the new laptop set up and mining (yay!), and I'm getting ~16 MH/s. Is that reasonable for a laptop? Anything to increase that?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am 
    Site Admin
    This seems pretty reasonable! I don't know of any specific tweaking I'd recommend.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf