Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 257
 Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:53 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
Heh. Stanley's "K" in response to Jed's barrage of alliterative K-words made me giggle.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:06 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    WLM: zilfallon@hotmail.com
    "What Happens Next Will Shock You!"

Book 3 is becoming Buzzfeed.

You know... at this point you boops aren't beating dead horses any more. You're making glue.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:20 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    Belrodes wrote:
    Well, if Roger is willing to hold a conversation with Parson, maybe he isn't absolutely insane yet.

Well, he's willing to send a Thinkagram at any rate. Let's wait and see whether it takes the form of a conversation. :-D

zilfallon wrote:

Book 3 is becoming Buzzfeed.

Single Warlord Discovers This One Weird Trick For Communicating Without Juice! Thinkamancers Hate Him!

How To Make An Entire Army With ZERO Upkeep! Qualified Casters Want To BAN This Artifact!

• Tipped by 26 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:22 am 
    zilfallon wrote:

That needs to be the incantation to a shockamancy spell.

Speculation time: Benny said he's often seen sides be censored but we haven't seen a example of such in the rest of the comic, I speculate is that outcasted sides don't last long.

For a number of reasons:

Their enemies now have a advantage in terms of casters (see RCC I vs GK)

If they were censured in the first place it probably means that they did not hire enough so that a sufficient number of casters would lobby for them (see how the casters that worked for Charlie took his side during the talks)

If they were breaking MK rules they probably arrived at a grand strategy that relied a lot on casters so much so that going through the proper channels to the MK was seen as not good enough (like a fellow poster speculated they may have hired casters under false pretences then captured and tried to turn) so getting cut off from the MK probably hurt them a lot more than a more might focused like say Jetstone.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:40 am 
    GOD am I ever so glad that someone/some people took the time to write a Jed dictionary into the Wiki: https://wiki.erfworld.com/Jed

Judging from these words, I guess he refers to the new casters as "powerful rascals".

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:48 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool!
    Hero of Shadows wrote:
    Speculation time: Benny said he's often seen sides be censored but we haven't seen a example of such in the rest of the comic, I speculate is that outcasted sides don't last long.

I would think that sides that ended up being declared Outcast by the Magic Kingdom probably weren't all that dependent on trade with the Magic Kingdom in the first place. Casters are the magical equivalent of warlord level units, which I assume take a long time to pop and it may be easier to capture and turn a free unit than divert precious time popping warlords and hoping for a random caster class to appear.

The strategy game equivalent is like capturing a worker unit in the Civilization games shortly after the player discovers a neutral side. By alienating a weak side that doesn't have the ability to actually hurt you, the player gain a useful unit that can provide you with benefits in the here and now, and those benefits can typically last for the rest of the game. Imagine if you were an overlord and you had a chance to acquire a free dirtmancer. No extra mercenary costs, reduced city upgrade costs, and the sweet relief of having an army of crap golems streaming out of your...

gates.

Last edited by Lonpone on Wed May 03, 2017 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 am 
    Brony83 wrote:
    GOD am I ever so glad that someone/some people took the time to write a Jed dictionary into the Wiki: https://wiki.erfworld.com/Jed

Judging from these words, I guess he refers to the new casters as "powerful rascals".

i think you're right about the rascal part, at least. Based on this combined with Jed's wiki entry, here's my shot at a translation: "It's time to maneuver (turn? roll...?) for war! Parson says to order Wanda and her two rascal men to come home and rig the portal."

Reading Jed sure is an investment.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:16 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    As far as understanding Jed is a problem for us, does Stanley get it? Will he pass on the right orders?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Okay, so this update kinda makes one of the previous updates make less sense.

Few pages ago we had Jed retell Parson & co that "they started shooting". Since Bonnie is out of juice, they don't have any communication that would back it... other than Stanley's ruler's senses. Which could tell that he started loosing units that were prisoners in MK.

However, we see that Stanley is still out in the plaza training the Juggalos. And based on reaction of Juggs, this is the first time they hear Jed speak. So, Jed did not recieve the information from Stanley.

What the Ark, then?

Although... I do remember something in some old Maggie update that units have g-strings tying them to the capital... Is this it? Jed has info on status of... what, all the units of the side? Units popped in him (his city)? The unnamed prisoners #2 and #3 (that were shot) were originally from Jetstone, and most likely popped in Spacerock, maybe Jed's words were based on feeling their strings drop.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:51 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool!
    Bonnie said that the start of every turn was like a family reunion for a Thinkamancer. Since Jed was providing juice to Maggie, I'm thinking that the experience may be like a caster link in which each one is merged with the mind of the other, so maybe Jed/Maggie could 'think/feel' the decrypted being dusted via Maggie's thinkamancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    myeerah wrote:
    Who's the blond between Roger and Jojo?

Just a caster from the crowd of witnesses. They're moving in a crowd right now. You can see that caster being shoved away by Janis on Page 253 (third row) and then again on Page 254.

Lonpone wrote:
    maybe Jed/Maggie could 'think/feel' the decrypted being dusted via Maggie's thinkamancy.

That's too much of a stretch, I think. He's not a thinkamancer himself to feel the strings he's not connected to.

I'll reread the updates for that "people have a string tying them to the capital" thing that I seem to remember.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Stanly the Tool wrote:
    K... I'm sure that means something.

And today marks the first time I laughed with Stanley instead of at him.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:57 am 
    But... there are very few elves there. Like.... thirty or so. Are they enough to conquer the Magic Kingdom?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:00 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    WarFAN wrote:
    But... there are very few elves there. Like.... thirty or so. Are they enough to conquer the Magic Kingdom?

No, but they are enough to cover another 100 troups with miracles poles. (And some of those tiny figures are mannish units.) One pole per stack, remember.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    i soooo love ERFWORLD..

Ok, first time post... so i trust this works out ..
    (forgive me any blunders -i have not read all of the comments nor all of the threads, but here is a bit from WantedMore ;) and excuse the grammar,, I know not where ','-man went)

The Shooting Has Started!
    'as Jed has strings to the sides units.. as seen providing Maggie juice and communications, is it possible that he can see/sense thru those units strings too.. much like how Miss Cryptic Wanda can sense thru her decrypted :wanda: units.?'

Roger!
    'hes SO super pissed at Parson.. and he thinks that Parson is responsible for the Temple attack.. right now he hates Parson with a vengeance :evil: ,.. but Parson has Vanna.. there is no indications that Roger distrusts JoJo's influence (JoJo is his "Friend and Confidant" in their little Secret Garden /even thou he knows JoJo is Charlies :charlie: carny-toy) .. intel to hand on how the Bone-a-mancer escaped, decrypted Ivan and Marie, and how Parson has Tunnels below the world..'

'also, even thou he is distressed over the Temple and the lost of the Thinkamancers there -hes rational.. searching thru the slack strings (not CUT strings -just slack strings?).. hes not absorbed any other lost minds.. nor has he lost his own.. hes just bent on destroying Parson :hamstard: . -rescue her, end him.'

Temple attack!
    'so..it kinda looked like the temple collapsed -there was no missile debris, no sign of underground tunnel collapses ..didn't look exploded, nor did it seem to fall in any particular pattern of destruction.. no signs of intruders nor other objects...

So maybe the 'Great Minds' did themselves in? :think:
    The Titans flattened the temple on their meddling Heads..
    or their mind-meld-melted..leaving shattered stone, broken bodies and slack strings..

Issac seems to have survived.. as did one other ...sitting amongst the temple ruins..
    but HeadMaster Roger ... ... ... only found slack strings.. ???
    not Issac, nor the other incapacitated survivor..
    so why not their strings.. still tied to minds and bodies?

or is the disappearing dancing Issac -no longer tied to a string... free to float over other peoples minds.. a 'demiform' a free entity, a wildcard or a lost mind wandering..

But for now..
    I cant wait to see..
    Just who it might be..

Bills in his basement.. looking for his skincream as he watches TV..
    Clowns are Juggling ... waiting for battle..
    Their painted master "K" waving his 'NutCracker' wondering whats said..
    Queen Jillian is racing down stairs to meet the dead..

The Great Minds are Blown, this much is known..
    Flower Power has left some decrypted tied to a stick..
    Charlies so naughty, and gardening a lot..
    and all of his Archons .......are all really hot..
    A Carny or a Fool, not hes not a Tool..

And Parson, a Chief Warlord, unhindered by so many Rules..
    The Perfect Warlord, a master of the hunt and servant to a Tool..
    Unable to order his talking Head Jed..
    So sends requests in his stead..
    Wondering.. just what the Boop is going on where..

but Fate and Luck own this World..
    Where Titans walked, in their 'Sequined Flares with Wonderful Hair'

To the wonders of ErfWorld..
    And the story being told..
    The Lion vs the Boar..

So lets all keep tuned for more..
    And see what 'news' each turn brings..
    For our 'fated' erf'ers and all their pretty things..

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Maggie is the one trying to make contact with the MK, isn't she? Roger probably caught on to that since he has reason to pay attention to incoming GK's comms. She has no juice, but she can still do the "passive" kind of thinkamancy - didn't we read waaaay back that this was how barbarian thinkamancers operated, by looking for and answering these? Think of Charlie's ability to be contacted by anyone, even non casters, but less OP.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 am 
    DukeBG wrote:
    Jed has info on status of... what, all the units of the side? Units popped in him (his city)? The unnamed prisoners #2 and #3 (that were shot) were originally from Jetstone, and most likely popped in Spacerock, maybe Jed's words were based on feeling their strings drop.
    Jed also knew when Sizemore was back. So he seems to share Stanley's ruler senses. Also, the immediate phrasing used by Jed to talk about the shooting suggests it wasn't over when he first mentioned it, whereas Buck didn't take that long to shoot them. And if we're seeing any time differential at all, it's in favor of the MK so far. So I didn't suppose that Stanley had time to notice and mention it to Jed before.

I think that, after putting Parson back in charge, Stanley just sorta acted like that was sorted out, and went back to leading piker drills.

The Juggles are mainly valuable because they can negate ranged shockamancy, which is the main direct offensive option the MK casters have. It is mentioned that a Miracle Pole shields an entire stack, so thirty poles could protect thirty stacks...but you'd want to double them up for redundancy (cause, you know, casters), so say 15 stacks. Normal pikers and stabbers for close defense, archers and rifles for ranged advantage that the casters can't answer...and Marie's stated plan of dumping bodies and rifles through the ICFYS portal for Wanda.

The real trick is how to get Wanda and the 'pliers together.

I still don't buy that there is no downside to having your portal's focus collar broken. We can infer that you can jump through one of those portal shards to the matching portal with a good focus collar, cause that seems to have been the extraction plan for Ivan and Claud (the sequence with Tondy and the chickens suggests Charlie tried everything he could think of with a broken portal, so I'm guessing he knows). But if there's a downside, it would seem likely to be the ability of an unfocused portal to receive correctly. If there's no downside, I don't know why Charlie wouldn't just have Ivan leave the focus collar broken. Of course, maybe Ivan broke the focus collar on the CC side before, not the MK side. But that doesn't much explain why the focus collars exist at all...at least in the MK, where we know that the bedrock is impenetrable and there isn't an outgoing unit filter.

Anyway, if the MK side focus collars have no functional upside, that suggests that going through to the side with the broken collar makes no functional difference, you emerge at the main portal rather than the shards. If the MK focus collars actually do something, then either you can't go through the portal, or you come out a random portal shard (or the main), or you come out distributed among all the shards (and the main, maybe).

While everything is fine if you always come out the main even if the receiver has no focus collar, only one of the other cases is really good for GK. If you come out a random portal shard (that's big enough for you), but not the main, then Wanda and her cheat's can come through, help Sizemore kipi the Spacerock portal, have Ivan and Sizemore (and Wanda, if she wants to do the "below bedrock" thing) come through and fix the receiver collar, then have the Juggles and Antium roll through the top portal.

If the broken focus collar has no effect on reception, then they can skip sending anyone back to the shards cause that won't work anyway. They lose the Wanda under the bedrock option, but I doubt anyone really wants that. Wanda likes leading a stack.

If the broken collar means you can randomly come out a shard or the main, then they have to do the same thing as if it only comes out shards, because they need to fix it to send through a cohesive force. But there's more risk because they could pop out the main portal and draw fire before they're ready to roll.

If the broken collar means you come out the receiving shards (and maybe the main) in pieces, or that the receiving portal won't function at all, then it's not a viable plan. Sure, Wanda and her cheaty boys can get to Spacerock, but they'll have to go the long way around to another capital (TV or shifting GK's capital to Unaroyal). They won't be back this turn, probably (unless there is a dwagon relay in place to Unaroyal, which seems possible but also doesn't give them the forces they need on hand).

I don't buy that there is no functional difference between how a receiving portal functions without the focus collars because if there isn't then there is no reason for the MK side portal collars to exist in the first place, the shards projected are only accessible if you dig through bedrock, and if you can do that you can break the collars anyway. But coming out a shard (or the main) at random seems possible, and could work.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:45 am 
    Raviollius wrote:
    Maggie is the one trying to make contact with the MK, isn't she? Roger probably caught on to that since he has reason to pay attention to incoming GK's comms. She has no juice, but she can still do the "passive" kind of thinkamancy - didn't we read waaaay back that this was how barbarian thinkamancers operated, by looking for and answering these? Think of Charlie's ability to be contacted by anyone, even non casters, but less OP.

I think what Maggie is doing was what Parson was doing when he first contacted deiform Issac, paging him and asking him to thinkagram back, Parson is now busy planning with Caesar but Maggie was probably paging everyone of the Minds that she knew maybe in a loop until RVC decided to thinkagram back.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Lipkin wrote:
    All the great lengths Bunny went through to protect Don. Somehow I doubt Maggie will go to such troubles to protect Parson from Roger.

I don't know - I think she probably WOULD go to the same level of effort to protect him. Personal feelings aside, I think that her previous actions have shown that she considers Parson's continued existence more important to her side/Erfworld itself than her own.

(remember the time she cast on her ruler, involving "great personal risk?") https://wiki.erfworld.com/LIAB_32

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Looks like the formation Stanley is trying to get the juggles to perform is shaped like the letters "GK". :)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions