Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 173
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:14 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Tramennis is being manipulated by his courtiers, some of whom acutally believe in the whole "Titanic mandate for Royals!" nonsense.
If he showed even for a second that he was having second thoughts about that? He would probably be deposed somehow (though Rulers can CONCEIVABLY disband their own people, if he is incapacitated so he cannot THINK to disband them.....).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:21 am 
    multilis wrote:
    Lingo wrote:
    I am also really curious about Tramennis's apparently secret reason. For some reason I think it has to do with Charlie.

Why can't it be the obvious stated reason: Tram wants Ansom to turn from GK, and Jill with Turnomancer and "love" is best equipped to try.

It says Tramennis told Ansom why he should go to FAQ next. If that's the reason, would Tramennis tell Ansom? (I'm sure that's one of Tram's reasons, just not the one he told Ansom.)

Actually, the only "stated" reason is possibly this: "Ansom was the only person who might be able to make an overture Queen Jillian would accept." So that might be all there is to it.

multilis wrote:
    GK killed Tram's father and almost ended entire side, Charlie saved Jetstone side. Tram hasn't been given a reason yet to work with GK against Charlie.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you there. Although in the last update we saw Tram, he said he was inclined not to give Charlie what he wants.

Thecommander236 wrote:
    So what day is the 14th day? The day he arrived, the day Tramennis talked to Ansom in the gallery, or the day Ansom left Jetstone?

My assumption was that it was the day in the gallery. OK, the first day was the day of the dinner. Let's say that's Day 13. Then Tram's speech in the gallery is Day 14. He stays another night (because GK's turn is before Jetstone's I think), and leaves on Day 15. Then it says he takes a three-turn series of movements "towards Faq". That would presumably be 15-17. So does he arrive in Faq on Day 18? I guess at least one of my assumptions is wrong.

Honest question: Does Rob usually post updates on holidays? I've been reading a long time but I can never remember whether he does or not.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:58 am 
    Count_to_10 wrote:
    ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:

Certainly!

It's a D&D/planescape reference. (see spoilers)

Spoiler: show
    In that multiverse there are several planes of existence. What most people think of as the world is called the material plane.

Other planes exist such as the 7 Mountings Heavens of Celestia and the 9 Hells of Baator. As well as other more esoteric ones like Mechanus, Pandemonium,Limbo and the Infinite Layers of the Abyss.

Those places are infused with moral and ethical principles (which in D&D are clasiffied on two axis Lawful/Chaotic & Good/Evil)

Heavens/Celestia are Lawful and good
    Hells/Baator are lawful and evil ( an absolute nightmare but it has chains of command and rigid hierarchy)
    The Abyss is Chaotic and Evil (it is a terrible place full of abominably mishapen demons that do horrendous acts with little to no reasons)

As it is a pretty well known game and Erfworld seems like it would appeal to gamer, I thought it would be a reference many would get here ^^'

Ah, the old Devils=lawful, demons=chaotic D&D.
    And the obnoxious rules that mean that the same sword can't hurt both of them.

I entirely detest alignment as being entirely sloppy both for roleplay, game design and philosophical reasons.
    Forums populated by nerds will try to debate complex ethics by using arbitrary categories or waste inordinate amounts of time arguing whether a character is more black than grey.
    It restricts roleplay (no matter what its apologists try to say) and mechanics can be simply fixed by making the sword/spell/widget smite demons/undead/whatever. Paladins are fixed by having explicit codes particular to the setting.

But it's D&D, and thus, the first introduction to any kind of roleplaying that anybody ever has. And so we must irrationally value all precedents and traditions set by it outside of historical context or, you know, whether they were ever actually good ideas. Which is why we have RPG's with reward incentives for being kleptomaniac murder-hobos in high fantasy settings.

Fuck alignments.

Last edited by DVL on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:06 am 
    double post

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:20 am 
    This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Wow, what a HUGE update! O_O I love it!

Thanks for showing us more Tramennis/Ansom dialog! What a nice way to start my week-end!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 am 
    Zero upkeep is still an upkeep cost. Sure Stanley doesn't have to pay any schmuckers for it, but Stanley is more than willing to pay it. Also, there could also be additive penalties we don't know about that could modify that total such as diplomatic missions adding an additional amount to grease the wheels as it were. We lack sufficient information.

Prisoner upkeep might not have anything to do with unit upkeep. It could be a base amount based on unit type modified by unit level. In that way, yes Jillian's prisoner upkeep could have been horribly high. Level 7 Chief Warlord could be sufficiently high, whereas Parson & Co are now a lvl 3 Warlord, a lvl 4 adept, and whatever Jack is. This answer also covers why no one else has notice the 0 upkeep of decrypted because while some might not notice, Charlie definitely would have.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Beeskee wrote:
    SmilingCat wrote:
    Y'see, this is how Jetstone got into this position in the first place.
    Spot on. It's their royal attitude.

To me this is pretty much every diplomatic system in every computer strategy game ever. I mean look at the GK-Jetstone war.
    Warscore: 27,580 to 820 (Jetstone lost it's capital, the bulk of it's military force, all but a handful of it's veteran units and has lost every engagement since Parson came to power)
    Relative military strength: Feeble (only a "few" turns ago, Jetstone lost most of what remained of it's army and most of it's high command)
    Relative economic strength: Feeble (Jetstone was at the "raze own cities and disband units to put to be able to afford fielding units to it's final battle" stage of losing a few turns ago)
    How does Jetstone react to diplomacy? JETSTONE HAS SENT AN INSULTING MESSAGE, CLICK TO VIEW.

Doesn't matter if you've nuked every city/planet, destroyed their military and pretty much are doing a victory lap with your armies/fleets; AI will always send obnoxious insulting messages every turn. Civilization to Stellaris, Master of Orion to Age of Wonders they all do it.

I didn't expect Jetstone to do anything else, they see diplomatic overtures as a sign of weakness instead of a sign the overpowered enemy is getting bored with endless unchallenging wars. Parson would rather be having picnics than killing dudes but he's in a world where the people are mentally incapable of understanding that. Unfortunately for them Parson is exceptionally good at killing dudes.

• Tipped by 7 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:12 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Veryinky wrote:
    Beeskee wrote:
    SmilingCat wrote:
    Y'see, this is how Jetstone got into this position in the first place.
    Spot on. It's their royal attitude.

To me this is pretty much every diplomatic system in every computer strategy game ever. I mean look at the GK-Jetstone war.
    Warscore: 27,580 to 820 (Jetstone lost it's capital, the bulk of it's military force, all but a handful of it's veteran units and has lost every engagement since Parson came to power)
    Relative military strength: Feeble (only a "few" turns ago, Jetstone lost most of what remained of it's army and most of it's high command)
    Relative economic strength: Feeble (Jetstone was at the "raze own cities and disband units to put to be able to afford fielding units to it's final battle" stage of losing a few turns ago)
    How does Jetstone react to diplomacy? JETSTONE HAS SENT AN INSULTING MESSAGE, CLICK TO VIEW.

Doesn't matter if you've nuked every city/planet, destroyed their military and pretty much are doing a victory lap with your armies/fleets; AI will always send obnoxious insulting messages every turn. Civilization to Stellaris, Master of Orion to Age of Wonders they all do it.

I didn't expect Jetstone to do anything else, they see diplomatic overtures as a sign of weakness instead of a sign the overpowered enemy is getting bored with endless unchallenging wars. Parson would rather be having picnics than killing dudes but he's in a world where the people are mentally incapable of understanding that. Unfortunately for them Parson is exceptionally good at killing dudes.

Also in those games ... unit upkeep will increase according to distance from home. Marching a massive army across the world is only doable if you have the schmuckers to support it. (Razing cities along the way is the traditional way to pay for your army.) Too many scouts / diplomats / missionaries can become a drain on your empire if your economy isn't attended to.

In this case, even a zero upkeep unit might have an actual upkeep when travelling.

2nd level Dollamancer, currently using my Juice on a Bag of Holding

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:15 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Poor Ansom, he handled that situation much better than I would have. He may be lost right now, but he still has class. And his pre-death arrogance is much easier to understand now - he grew up *steeped* in this culture of unbridled exceptionalism.

He's like a head injury patient, or someone who's been through some severe emotional or physical trauma. His new crowd doesn't know him very well, and he hasn't forged any close ties; and his old crowd, the people who knew him best and who he was the closest to - they keep pressuring him to go back to the way he was. Not because that would be better for him, but because it would be better for them.

He needs to re-forge his identity, and he needs to do it away from that toxic Jetstone environment. Being killed and decrypted might be the best thing that ever happened to him. I really look forward to seeing who he'll become.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    carrion pigeons wrote:
    Have Erfworlders been referred to as human before this update? I mean, physiologically speaking, they definitely aren't human by Stupidworld standards, and I don't know offhand if they've ever self-identified that way before.

"Men" has been used, specifically as a Race. But not "human" to my memory.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:48 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    If you study the first picture closely, you can faintly see the rusty chains that imprisons Tramennis upon the Throne... Well, not really, but metaphorically speaking. :roll:

Jetstone has too many courtiers for its own good.

I can only speculate, but I am thinking that caring King Slately's intension to let Ansom Spin-off after tBfGK; was to, ironically so, spare him from the humiliation from the Court of Jetstone.

Man, "Honour" and "Nobility" really took a back-seat during that Banquet...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:58 am 
    Since I don't have anything better to talk about- I think alignment is perfectly functional in most D&D or Pathfinder based settings. In most of those settings, there are actual moral absolutes. There are gods that preside over those things, there are afterlives you only get into based on certain behavior. In those settings, it doesn't rightly matter what the player or the character perceive to be good because they aren't the God of Righteousness or whatever who gets to decide who is and isn't good.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:27 am 
    I definitely interpret Ansom's comment about upkeep as an intentional dodge of the subject. He's about to say that he (italicized) doesn't have any upkeep, then catches himself and says "My upkeep is paid for" instead.

Much harder to explain is Parson's comment on page 79, proposing to buy vegetables to "mitigate [his] troops' upkeep". He has little reason to lie to Janis, and if he were doing so consciously we'd expect to read about it. One could vaguely argue that by "my troops" he meant "all GK troops" but that's a big stretch in context. I'd say the one on page 79 is most likely just author error, or possibly author-error-imparted-to-Parson (i.e. Rob forgot, so that means Parson forgot).

Virtually impossible IMO is the notion that Decrypted having zero upkeep has somehow been "retconned" and is no longer the rule. It's literally Ansom himself who is given as the first example of the rule, and it's just implausible that such an important world mechanic would be retconned for no apparent reason.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:00 am 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Shashakiro wrote:
    I definitely interpret Ansom's comment about upkeep as an intentional dodge of the subject. He's about to say that he (italicized) doesn't have any upkeep, then catches himself and says "My upkeep is paid for" instead.

Much harder to explain is Parson's comment on page 79, proposing to buy vegetables to "mitigate [his] troops' upkeep". He has little reason to lie to Janis, and if he were doing so consciously we'd expect to read about it. One could vaguely argue that by "my troops" he meant "all GK troops" but that's a big stretch in context. I'd say the one on page 79 is most likely just author error, or possibly author-error-imparted-to-Parson (i.e. Rob forgot, so that means Parson forgot).

Virtually impossible IMO is the notion that Decrypted having zero upkeep has somehow been "retconned" and is no longer the rule. It's literally Ansom himself who is given as the first example of the rule, and it's just implausible that such an important world mechanic would be retconned for no apparent reason.

Especially since the archives still have the unedited panel which states that decrypted have no upkeep.
    Also, I think someone in the "why hasn't anyone commented on 0 upkeep decrypted prisoners" discussion suggested that uncroaked normally have zero upkeep, but iirc the comic said that they had *lower* upkeep, not 0 upkeep.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:48 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Re: Decrypted Upkeep

Their upkeep is 0. It was established as canon in previous books and is also considered a very major feature.

Such major, long known things are only Retconjured in an announcement.
    When there is no announcement, contradictions on canon are usually something different like mistakes or as in this case: Subtrefuge.

Facts about completely new phenomenons are not common knowledge. Especially when it is strategically significant to the ones that do know.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:11 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    In terms of reconciling all the information we have there is a theory that would make all previous information hold true.

1. Decrypted have 0 upkeep as stated here - http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%201/158

2. The concept of upkeep itself is an interesting thing I had originally assumed it was simply a flat cost and that the food consumed was merely symbolic of the expenditure of resources. We get our first indication that the uncroaked do not eat and many assumed at the time as a result where upkeep free - http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+1/27

2b. The concept of food and upkeep though is further clarified in the backer story Digdoug

Quote:
    “It‘s very reasonable, I promise,” said Dove. “I‘ll need you to feed me, and assume my upkeep of 75 Shmuckers a turn for as long as I‘m working for you. If I solve your problem with the Prediction, I want two thousand, straight up.”

Later in the story we're told that

Quote:
    “Stews” were a popular activity in the Carnyvale. Depending on the type of food, eating extra rations would reduce a unit’s upkeep by a substantial amount. A good solid meal in addition to your popped rations generally meant cutting your next turn’s upkeep in half, for barbarian and sided units alike. And prepared meals gave you more upkeep relief than just eating raw forage or produce.

So it seems that food and upkeep are inherently linked but ultimately consuming food can only diminish your upkeep to a point regardless of how much you actually eat. The limitation appears to be a 'good solid meal' and that rations will automagically pop regardless of how much food you consume the previous day.

For a unit like Parson it would be a good idea to get that guy a good meal in addition to his rations due to the insane cost of his upkeep. In fact looking at the cost other units such as casters even if a courtier unit cost as much as Dove Barstools upkeep (which is unlikely) it would still be more cost effective to dedicate that unit to cooking for Parson.

Which interestingly shines a new light on this scene in the first book - http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%201/37

Where Bogroll (I know guys don't tear up be strong we all miss him) is baking for Parson now I assumed at the time this was just a Bogroll'ism but it could be an integral part to a 'Henchman's' duty to diminish the cost of the individual in their care to their side.

2c. We can clearly see though that decrypted still eat food we here mention of it that Archon's make baked goods and we can see Ansom munching on food when he is captured http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/4

Now I think it is evident here that rations popping are simply a function of a new turn starting for a unit in the same way we know that decrypted automagically heal and automagically get cleaned at the start of turn there isn't any reason for rations to not pop and while a decrypted can eat things for pleasure they will not receive any additional benefit as their upkeep is 0.

Prisoner upkeep is a difficult one because we have at the same time two juxtaposed examples currently in the story. Parson who costs 1178 per turn and Jack who costs 0 per turn both these numbers should startle and worry T.V. in different ways and we have not heard a comment on either of these numbers and T.V. unlike the other sides has a Moneymancer who is presumably quite a good one considering he is the Chief Caster and a Chief Caster to a Master-Class Thinkamancer which potentially attests to his own ability within his discipline.

We have also learned from Book 0 that prisoners do cost the side money to maintain and we also have an example that T.V. doesn't have enough money to pay ransoms when their Warlords have been captured - http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%202/225 in that same update we're also told that T.V. units have the drain life special that can mitigate their upkeep although it is not explained to what extent.

This would point to a standardised prisoner cost that Haffaton was unable to pay because it was broke beyond belief but T.V. can still pay because they're not as broke. If T.V. was paying the full cost of Parson I struggle to believe that Don would be happy to wait for ten turns until his heir pops and they would be taking steps to mitigate the cost of Parson by feeding him more than his current sub-standard rations which they're evidently not as per this update - http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/145

Where it indicates they're getting a 'lone meal' of the day.

So that is my current theory which would allow all of the information we have been told be correct and would explain why Parson isn't bankrupting T.V. and the knowledge of 0 upkeep decrypted isn't common knowledge to every side that has captured one.

The only person that potentially could have realised the Decrypted cost 0 upkeep is Slately when Ossomer turned but I suspect he was a little busy being croaked twice that day to notice.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:43 am 
    CDS wrote:
    FAQ, Jetstone, T.V and CC have all captured a Decrypted unit of GK and no-one has commented on the fact they have 0 upkeep.

It's possible that maybe they no longer have zero upkeep once captured. The lack of upkeep may be a unique circumstance that only occurs when they are on the side that controls the pliers. Or, it is possible that there is an Erfworld rule that "All prisoners have a standard upkeep of X", so that when captured their maintenance cost actually goes up.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:52 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Yup agreed hence the post just above yours where I state that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 am 
    Shashakiro wrote:

Perhaps Decrypted having zero upkeep is one of those valuable strategic secrets that Ansom does not want to reveal to the enemy? A horde of decrypted with no upkeep--would be terrifying to any and every side on Erf. Jetstone didn't have Ossomer for long enough to notice what his upkeep was (he didn't last to the beginning of their turn).

Transylvito, with Parson & Jack as prisoners, ought to notice something weird about decrypted upkeep--that secret is about to be out.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:45 am 
    I imagine if Parson was put in the same situation he'd say something along the lines of, "Slightly less humiliating than my old life. Not too bad."

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions