[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5030: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Erfworld Forums • Thank you for the new site.
Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » Internet and Webcomics

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:01 pm 
Is it just me, or was the other site slow and unreliable? I couldn't connect over half of the time while reading through the comics.

This site seems to be working great, it's a relief to move around so easily without that hassle.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm 
    The other site also handled tons and tons of traffic

but you're right.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm 
    So on one hand, I want more people to read ErfWorld because it's great.

Then on the other, I want this site to stay unpolluted with traffic.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm 
    Well, once Erfworld moves completely, Giant in the Playground will be handling less Erfworld traffic because the updates will be here, not there. Therefore, the severs there should be a bit better and less strained, and the ones here will just get a bit more work.

Alas, I mere middle schooler am I, and the resources I lack to pay the fee.

Boop the economy, by the way.

A tool in spirit, I suppose.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld
    I salute the Titans for granting us this site to behold and admire. Keep up the great work guys.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm 
    WLM: diggimaster@msn.com
    Yahoo Messenger: biggoron_2thousand@yahoo.com
    AOL: drbiggtherpc@aol.com
    When Rich's server load was more then he could bear, he responded by fiddling with the forums and deleting old posts and stuff, as well as making stricted limits on sig and avatars. This would have no impact on how fast things can be accessed. Face it, whoever is in charge of managing GiantITP is, well, kind of an idiot. I'm sure GiantITP's various traffic problems won't bother us here.

(no offense intentionally directed at Mr. Burlew)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 am 
    Dave Rapp wrote:
    When Rich's server load was more then he could bear, he responded by fiddling with the forums and deleting old posts and stuff, as well as making stricted limits on sig and avatars. This would have no impact on how fast things can be accessed. Face it, whoever is in charge of managing GiantITP is, well, kind of an idiot. I'm sure GiantITP's various traffic problems won't bother us here.

I believe this opinion is a little uninformed. Server load can be influenced by the amount of entries in a database especially if there are as many entries as could be found for the site hosting two excellent webcomics. I can only imagine how much traffic and server load he gets daily let alone yearly. And don't forget webcomics don't usually pay all the bills, you can look at Erfworld as an example. So, for having a low end server for the kind of page hits he gets, I believe he is doing an excellent job.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:14 am 
    I used to be an agnostic. Finding this site, though, has solidified my belief in the glory of the Titans.

I am hoping that the member-base will stay, for a while at least, homogeneous in a way that GitP can't be with PbP sections and whatnot. If not... oh well! The Titans' will be done, on Erf as it is in Graceland, and I'll still want to be here rather than over there if I get my druthers.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:58 am 
    Well, according to GitP, they're trying to fix their problems, but it will be a while.

Yes, thank you for the new site. :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Dave Rapp wrote:

that might be going a bit far. the amount of traffic they have on that site is amazing, and i would be interested to see the solid numbers on it. you have to remember they are hosting a large amount of files and there forums are huge and bloated. they simply have to many visitors on a regular basis for the server they are currently on.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter
    Dave Rapp wrote:

As others have said, you uh, don't actually know what you're talking about.

Bandwidth is bandwidth is bandwidth. If people are on the forums soaking up bandwidth with large sigs and avatars, that's bandwidth that *can't* be used by people trying to pull down the comic. Cleaning out the forum database should have a negligible effect on comic load times, but it can certainly affect forum load times.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:41 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity
    Xanthir wrote:
    Dave Rapp wrote:

As others have said, you uh, don't actually know what you're talking about.

Bandwidth is bandwidth is bandwidth. If people are on the forums soaking up bandwidth with large sigs and avatars, that's bandwidth that *can't* be used by people trying to pull down the comic. Cleaning out the forum database should have a negligible effect on comic load times, but it can certainly affect forum load times.

In any case, this kind of debate is beside the point of this thread. Whatever your thoughts about GitP, the measures taken/pending to reduce slowdown on the site, and the exchange rate of gp to shmuckers, I think we can agree that Rob and Jamie have given us something pretty booping nifty here.

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » Internet and Webcomics