Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 am 
I just re-read the second book using the archive (I.E. couldn't see any of the text updates). I gotta say, the text updates aren't doing anything for the main story, though they are telling as much about the story and Erfworld itself in their own right. Maybe it was the slow update schedule during book 2 but the urgency of the situation in the magic kingdom, the urgency of the battle in general was kinda lost in the fact that we read what amounts to maybe an hour of events over the course of a year or two of release time.

Its kind of a shame. Erfworld speak to me of the quality that could easily survive in the monthly comic release world just as easily as the best Vertigo titles that I love.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Ruttiger wrote:
    I just re-read the second book using the archive (I.E. couldn't see any of the text updates). I gotta say, the text updates aren't doing anything for the main story, though they are telling as much about the story and Erfworld itself in their own right.

I think it has been stated that that is on purpose. They are essentially fillers which Rob can produce on his own when comic production has been slow for one reason or another, but since it is a comic Rob didn't want to make them necessary for reading the comic.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Ruttiger wrote:
    we read what amounts to maybe an hour of events over the course of a year or two of release time.

I think it was a bit longer than that. Probably not worse than Grace's birthday party.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    The main difference between the two being that Grace's party left the characters questioning their own sexuality, where as Erfworld2 left everyone else questioning Charlie and Trem's.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    mortissimus wrote:
    I think it has been stated that that is on purpose. They are essentially fillers which Rob can produce on his own when comic production has been slow for one reason or another, but since it is a comic Rob didn't want to make them necessary for reading the comic.
    They definitely were not fillers. Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.
    So basically, if the OP feels they offer nothing valuable, then he shouldn't bother reading them...but don't imply that they're useless.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:29 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    0beron wrote:
    Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.

Yes, that is what I meant by fillers.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:22 am 
    0beron wrote:
    mortissimus wrote:
    They definitely were not fillers. Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.
    So basically, if the OP feels they offer nothing valuable, then he shouldn't bother reading them...but don't imply that they're useless.

My only issue with this is that as someone who was reading the comic itself casually, and skipping most of the text updates, at some point I felt i really didn't understand what was going on in the comic. I can't exactly tell you when it was, but there were multiple references to things that were only revealed in text updates, which eventually led me to the wiki to fill myself in(i do plan on eventually reading all of it, but it's just not something I feel compelled to do at the moment).

I don't really mind the alternating updates, and understand why it's been a part of this process, but at the same time I think it's past the point where you can just read the comic and not feel very out of the loop.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:52 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I think even Rob would agree with this. Erfworld has been a fantastic webcomic continuously hamstrung by art issues (and by that I mean consistency. The quality has always been top notch).

I really hope that the new artist can hang in there and deliver regular updates. I adore Xin's work, but her departure has really hurt this comic.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld