Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Citation Format in Wiki
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm 
This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
In catching up on wiki-work (panel framing, adding category tags, etc), I got to thinking about how things are (or should be...) cited in articles.

The current standard is to have a small link near the top of the line after a relevant claim, linking directly to wherever. However, since a lot of the links are kind of long (IPTSF Text XX or Summer Intermission XX), it really breaks up the flow of the text.

I've fiddled with the articles for Faq (side) and Charlescomm, and moved the citations to the bottom of the page, with little reference numbers linking claims/facts to citations.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Does it make for a better, less jagged wiki experience?

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I like it. I think it could be even better if multiple uses of the same page as a citation could be given the same number to reduce the length and repetition in the citations list. The citations could be simplified even further if they only cited a page rather than a specific panel within the page. Hunting for the relevant bit within the page wouldn't be troublesome, and a single panel rarely provides enough context to properly understand what's happening.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Well, there's being efficient and there's being thorough. I, personally, don't mind giving each each citation its own listing.

I'm willing to bow to popular opinion, if enough people express an opinion. :p

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Lilwik wrote:
    I like it. I think it could be even better if multiple uses of the same page as a citation could be given the same number to reduce the length and repetition in the citations list. The citations could be simplified even further if they only cited a page rather than a specific panel within the page. Hunting for the relevant bit within the page wouldn't be troublesome, and a single panel rarely provides enough context to properly understand what's happening.

I don't mind letting authors choose which format to give, but I would oppose deleting panel-specific references. I think panel references are useful, particularly if you're trying to point out specifics in the detailed backgrounds of Xin's art.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    WaterMonkey314 wrote:
    I think panel references are useful, particularly if you're trying to point out specifics in the detailed backgrounds of Xin's art.
    Yes, for citing subtle background details of a panel I agree that the panel-specific references are useful.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I agree that using both within context is best. Too bad I am terrible at wiki formatting...

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld