Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary
ManaCaster wrote:
Why doesn't the farming option work? If dying in battle or not getting enough upkeep from other sides is the only way for casters die, then why hasn't the Magic Kingdom built up a large army of farming Florists over the many centuries?
It might actually be possible for that to happen, especially with Dirtamancers building more Magic Kingdom, but even Hippiemancers are Erfworlders and that probably causes them to get themselves croaked often enough by going out into various battles and working for dying sides. They probably hope to keep people from being croaked unnecessarily, but in order to do that they need to be on the battlefield. Perhaps all casters take jobs outside of the Magic Kingdom and eventually croak.

On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Quote:
    On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.

Dirtamancy cannot change the type of terrain without a Trimancer Link. Sizemore told Parson that changing the terrain type of Gobwin Knob -something he didn't think possible- made him feel "like the Titans themselves".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm 
    WarFAN wrote:
    Quote:

Dirtamancy cannot change the type of terrain without a Trimancer Link. Sizemore told Parson that changing the terrain type of Gobwin Knob -something he didn't think possible- made him feel "like the Titans themselves".

First of all, he changed an extinct volcano hex into an inactive volcano hex with lava pools. Sounds pretty advanced. Second of all, "like the Titans" could just refer to the sheer scale of the work, modifying the entire hex with a single spell. Tunnels don't disappear when you dig them. Sizemore could probably gradually convert a mountain hex to a grass hex or vice versa on his own given enough time. The only way to stop him would be for there to be some rule saying "the amount of Erf cannot go outside of a certain range before the hex resets". And even if such a rule does exist, they could still expand the Magic Kingdom quite a bit with a series of rafts to put their farms on. Nothing short of a barrier is going to stop the Magic Kingdom from expanding if they have the need. And, while our knowledge of the Magic Kingdom is still pretty limited, it doesn't sound like they're experiencing a population pressure problem, so they probably haven't had the need.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm 
    As for feeding the Magic Kingdom.. Fishing is a viable way to get rations as I recall. They're surrounded by hex upon hex of water and have all the casters they need to harvest the sea for provisions. (I wonder if they can make underwater farms? Aquaflorists!)

And this is besides the military industrial complex that I'm certain the Dollamancers and Mathmancers are running.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Charlie may not want all of Erfworld united because the Dish has expanded his mind to the point that he understands how the Titans made Erfworld and for what purpose. The rules aren't set up for resource management, just for turn-based warfare. Trying to change that would be against the will of the Titans.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:42 pm 
    bladestorm wrote:
    Trying to change that would be against the will of the Titans.
    I would be very surprised if the will of the Titans is important to Charlie. I rather suspect that suddenly exposing a Carnymancer to the most powerful Eyemancy in the world was a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Lilwik wrote:
    ...a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.

Soooo...he found 4-chan?

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am 
    WLM: zilfallon@hotmail.com
    0beron wrote:
    Lilwik wrote:
    ...a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.

Soooo...he found 4-chan?

That would youtube rather than 4-chan, I guess.

You know... at this point you boops aren't beating dead horses any more. You're making glue.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Do we have any indication of how old Erfworld is? Could be just that the Magic Kingdom has not filled up yet, or that it is sufficiently large that it won't during Erfworlds lifespan (however long that might be).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    mortissimus wrote:
    Do we have any indication of how old Erfworld is?

Yeah, it's really old. Wanda and the old FAQ casters are definitely very old personally, and it was mentioned that Banhammer had been alive for so long that any sides who once knew him had long since fallen. I think the term "thousands of turns" was even used to describe how long ago that was.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    So, at least 6 years old.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Zeku wrote:
    Im pretty sure that "Charlie wants endless war" is just a forum speculation, it has not been confirmed in comic, and only recently hinted at. The only thing we've heard in-comic (from Olive) is that Charlie is no longer interested in Peace on Erf.

As the leader of a mercenary side, Charlie is dependent on war to fund his side. World peace would leave him without a means to fund his (expensive) units' upkeep. Charlie doesn't just want endless war, he needs it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:06 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    It would be interesing to get an idea of the average turn-span of an Erfworlder. I think the only popand croak dates we have are for Merika Neagle of FAQ from her memorial.

http://www.erfworld.com/2012/09/inner-p ... isode-043/

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Tathar wrote:
    Zeku wrote:
    Im pretty sure that "Charlie wants endless war" is just a forum speculation, it has not been confirmed in comic, and only recently hinted at. The only thing we've heard in-comic (from Olive) is that Charlie is no longer interested in Peace on Erf.

As the leader of a mercenary side, Charlie is dependent on war to fund his side. World peace would leave him without a means to fund his (expensive) units' upkeep. Charlie doesn't just want endless war, he needs it.

Well, recent updates have shown us that he wanted world peace at one point, but then abandoned that idea - BEFORE he became a mercenary.

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Lilwik wrote:

Well, there was the whole volcano uncroaking thing, and there's no reason why we can't have underground volcanoes. It needed a tri-link, but it proves that casters are capable of changing a hex type.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
    ftl wrote:
    Tathar wrote:
    Zeku wrote:

Well, recent updates have shown us that he wanted world peace at one point, but then abandoned that idea - BEFORE he became a mercenary.

The thing is, the Charlie and Endless War thing has to do with Charlie as the mercenary ruler, not before. As a mercenary ruler, he is dependent upon war to obtain customers for his business. Therefore, peace as anything more than an alliance to fight a common enemy is a threat to his business. If his business fails, he either finds a new means of supporting himself, or he goes bankrupt and units start disbanding from lack of upkeep. This mercenary thing is pretty much the only thing he's good at, and it keeps him in the shadows. Of course Charlie's going to act in his own best interest, so of course Charlie's going to try and sabotage any attempt at world peace.

Before he became a mercenary, Charlie may have been interested in other things. But that's not the Charlie we're talking about.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm 
    Tathar wrote:
    Well, there was the whole volcano uncroaking thing, and there's no reason why we can't have underground volcanoes. It needed a tri-link, but it proves that casters are capable of changing a hex type.

They're capable of it, but I doubt they'd ever think of it. It took Parson to come up with that idea. I think a big "point" of the comic is that Erfworlders are capable of a lot more than they realize, but only Parson thinks of that sort of thing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Tathar wrote:
    The thing is, the Charlie and Endless War thing has to do with Charlie as the mercenary ruler, not before. As a mercenary ruler, he is dependent upon war to obtain customers for his business. Therefore, peace as anything more than an alliance to fight a common enemy is a threat to his business. If his business fails, he either finds a new means of supporting himself, or he goes bankrupt and units start disbanding from lack of upkeep. This mercenary thing is pretty much the only thing he's good at, and it keeps him in the shadows. Of course Charlie's going to act in his own best interest, so of course Charlie's going to try and sabotage any attempt at world peace.

Before he became a mercenary, Charlie may have been interested in other things. But that's not the Charlie we're talking about.
    You are wrong. Charlie abandoned his dreams of peace when he got the Arkendish, and then began withdrawing. This was even before he founded Charlescom. Olive even said he was an amazing Overlord, matching wits with two other powerful sides and winning. Being a mercenary is not the only thing he's good at. He's a merc by choice, but could be a standard Ruler if he wanted to.

He doesn't want endless war to sustain himself as a mercenary. The desire for endless war came before that.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    You are wrong. Charlie abandoned his dreams of peace when he got the Arkendish, and then began withdrawing. This was even before he founded Charlescom. Olive even said he was an amazing Overlord, matching wits with two other powerful sides and winning.
    Are you citing Olive as a reliable source while she testifies for her life? I prefer to trust Wanda's version of the story, but I'm not sure that even Wanda is entirely honest. Wanda might be trying to take the easy way with Fate by fudging the facts. We really don't know that there ever were any dreams of peace.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 pm 
    "There wasn’t even time for her to cry out. She made no sounds now, either."

*shakes trees* Perhaps Jillian just ganked a foolamancy Olive. Though I have no idea why Jack do such a thing or how Olive could've pulled it off.

What a tweest! Olive was foolamancy this entire time!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions