Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 am 
Site Admin
Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
New 0.5 version of the miner released (as announced in a <a href="http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/59449/ads-croaked">news post</a>) with support for more platforms, and improved compatibility with anti-virus software from being based on a new, cross-platform codebase, and only downloading the supplementary neoscrypt miner if it needs to use it.

0.5.2 adds fixes for the Ubiq secondary miner and some OpenCL-using machines on Windows, as well as usernames containing spaces. It also has an additional entry in its known AMD integrated graphics devices which won't work, thanks to Jade <a href="http://forums.erfworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14455">here</a>.

0.5.6 improves the behaviour of pausing on all platforms, including adding support for it to the second alt miner which previously lacked it, and improving responsiveness of pause. It also moves updates to a new mine4erf.com domain.

0.5.7 fixes a fault where if your first attempt to enter a username failed, all retries would also fail, and handles backspace/delete key while entering username better (they still don't work, but now they're cleanly ignored rather than causing weirdness). It also causes us to not leave the console window in a weird state on Linux or macOS if we find we don't have support for mining on the computer.

Thanks for all the testing of the new version and all the feedback, everyone!

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Where can I find information on how to set flags for the miner? The post says you can use hardware-detect-override.txt to force ETH instead of Ubiq, but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually says what flags need to be set in the file. Am I missing this in the FAQ post or would this info be somewhere else?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:39 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most
    MaximumTaco wrote:
    Where can I find information on how to set flags for the miner? The post says you can use hardware-detect-override.txt to force ETH instead of Ubiq, but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually says what flags need to be set in the file. Am I missing this in the FAQ post or would this info be somewhere else?

It's not really documented anywhere. You have to run the actual miner (not the launcher) with the "--help" flag to get the information on flags to use.

Which coin you end up mining is actually handled by the launcher, however. You can specify the "--ubiq" flag, for example, to force mining Ubiq. I don't think you can force mining Ethereum. It automatically mines Ethereum if you have enough video memory. You need about 3.5GiB video memory for it start mining Etherium. If it's pushing you to Ubiq, baring a malfunction, it's because you _can't_ mine Ethereum. In which case, forcing Ethereum would just make the miner fail with an error message.

Additionally, there's not a lot of benefit to mining Ethereum over Ubiq. There no benefit at all to you. However many shares you produce will be adjusted to be equivalent to the same number of shares as Ethereum mining. So you would get the same number of shares either way. You would simply have fewer shares per spin (cause you'd have twice as many spins). And believe me, I've done the math. I've even run simulations (I'm actually running them again right now). There's no meaningful difference in one 10 share spin and two 5 share spins.

There is _some_ benefit to Erfworld in mining Ethereum over Ubiq... but only if you actually _can_ mine Ethereum. From the Erf Team's perspective, it's more valuable to have you mine Ubiq than to mine nothing at all.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    If 0.4.3-beta is currently running fine on my system, is there any benefit for me to upgrade to 0.5.2?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    No reasons to upgrade if the existing version works well for you right now- eventually the new version might get reasons to upgrade to it, but if it does I'll take a shot at making the update happen automatically (the new version isn't automatic for the older right now, because it has a new update mechanism that doesn't redownload as much, but I might be able to make it so).

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Pause isn't working for me on Linux. Miner version 0.5.2, glibc 2.27.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 am 
    Site Admin
    Is it running one of the secondary miners, or mining ETH?

What happens if you press 0 while it's mining? Nothing?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    JBeshir wrote:
    Is it running one of the secondary miners, or mining ETH?

What happens if you press 0 while it's mining? Nothing?

ETH. Nothing looks to change.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am 
    Site Admin
    Okay, thanks, I'll investigate and see if I can replicate, and if I can't I'll see if I can figure some further steps for working out what's up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:22 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    However many shares you produce will be adjusted to be equivalent to the same number of shares as Ethereum mining. So you would get the same number of shares either way. You would simply have fewer shares per spin (cause you'd have twice as many spins). And believe me, I've done the math. I've even run simulations (I'm actually running them again right now). There's no meaningful difference in one 10 share spin and two 5 share spins.

I've got 3GB of VRAM and 15GB of normal RAM, wasn't sure if it was a hard limit or just related to performance optimizing. I'm not entirely sure what the shares per spin thing relates to based on the main mineforerf page or where the explanation of conversion from other mined currencies to ETH is, or what shares represent in general... Definitely beta haha :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:49 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    JBeshir wrote:
    Okay, thanks, I'll investigate and see if I can replicate, and if I can't I'll see if I can figure some further steps for working out what's up.

There's still definitely something weird going on with pausing. Sometimes it works fine, other times, I see what looks like corrupted log output. When this happens, I typically don't see the "Press enter to resume" message.

Hope this helps you figure out what's going on.

Attachments:
    Untitled.png
    Untitled.png [ 19.19 KiB | Viewed 966 times ]
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am 
    DeltaGeek wrote:
    JBeshir wrote:

There's still definitely something weird going on with pausing. Sometimes it works fine, other times, I see what looks like corrupted log output. When this happens, I typically don't see the "Press enter to resume" message.

You look to have encoding issues as well, that might be messing up the resume message. What terminal emulator are you using?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:57 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    DeltaGeek wrote:

You look to have encoding issues as well, that might be messing up the resume message. What terminal emulator are you using?

I believe the NT Command Prompt (a really beefed up DOS-like terminal and shell) is the default when launching the Mine4Erf.exe by double-clicking (which appears to be what they've done). You can even tell it's Windows 8-10 by the minimize/maximize/exit icons in the top right. That should handle that color encoding (ANSI escape sequences) just fine, so it's a bit odd. Might be a localization issue with the escape character.

Where are you from DeltaGeek? Do you use a non-english locale in Windows?

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    I believe the NT Command Prompt (a really beefed up DOS-like terminal and shell) is the default when launching the Mine4Erf.exe by double-clicking (which appears to be what they've done). You can even tell it's Windows 8-10 by the minimize/maximize/exit icons in the top right. That should handle that color encoding (ANSI escape sequences) just fine, so it's a bit odd. Might be a localization issue with the escape character.

I'm in the US, running on US-English Windows 10 x64. Client is launched by double-clicking the executable.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 pm 
    DeltaGeek wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

I'm in the US, running on US-English Windows 10 x64. Client is launched by double-clicking the executable.

Yeah something odd is going on there then.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf This user has been published!
    Hey! Old version never really took flight here, so I tried this 0.5.2. But I keep on getting this error message: neoscrypt-opencl.exe: --gpu-platform: '--device' is not a number
    QUIT - Restarting in 60 seconds...

And it loops on and on... how do I solve it?

E.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:36 pm 
    Eclison wrote:
    Hey! Old version never really took flight here, so I tried this 0.5.2. But I keep on getting this error message: neoscrypt-opencl.exe: --gpu-platform: '--device' is not a number
    QUIT - Restarting in 60 seconds...

And it loops on and on... how do I solve it?

E.

I think I know the problem there. Can you show me the full output? I might be able to tell you a temp solution till JBeshir can investigate on his end.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:48 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf This user has been published!

Looks like this. Thanks a lot for helping me out!

E.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 pm 
    Eclison wrote:

Looks like this. Thanks a lot for helping me out!

E.

Create a new text file (Press WindowsKey+R, type "notepad" without the quotes into the box, click ok). On the first line put "NSCRYPT-OPENCL: --gpu-platform 1 --device 0" without the quotes. Then save that file to the same folder as mine4erf with the name "hardware-detect-override.txt". Restart the miner. Hopefully, that will get it working.

Edit: corrected missing "NSCRYPT-OPENCL: " in the HDO.txt line.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Mon May 21, 2018 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 pm 
    Triedit, but it responded "Invalid argument: --gpu-platform" without the quotes.

Maybe there is a spacebarhit missing?

E.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf