Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:14 pm 
This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
Probably as soon as someone is willing to have their mac be a guinea pig for testing. My understanding is they have a mac client ready to go but the only machine they had to test it on didn't have a strong enough video card.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:15 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf
    Hey new version works great for me! My system isn't set up for anything graphics intensive no this is the first time I've gotten it to work.

AMD A10-7700k 4.2Ghz R7 16gb Ram (2gb graphics)
    Crossfire R7 240 2gb
    Win 10
    Windows Defender

Running with flags --ubiq -G
    Uses both devices and gets me a 4.8 Mh/s speed.

edit:
    I have also added flag --opencl-devices 1 to run it off of my discrete R7 (2.7 Mh/s) only and leave the APU alone and have no loss of performance during general computer use.

I also had to turn off real time protection in Defender to get the download to not be hijacked and then added exception for neoscrypt-opencl.exe, then turned rtp back on.

I've gotten as many as 10 chances per spin running both devices and 1-2 off GPU alone.

edit: I tried the older Crypto enhanced AMD driver 17.30.1029 but it doesn't seem to support my crossfire setup.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    mrnegativity78 wrote:
    edit: I tried the older Crypto enhanced AMD driver 17.30.1029 but it doesn't seem to support my crossfire setup.

At this point from what I can see, cards with <3GB dedicated VRAM aren't supported by the GPU-intensive miners - they're all really looking for 4GB minimum.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    ripple wrote:
    mrnegativity78 wrote:

At this point from what I can see, cards with <3GB dedicated VRAM aren't supported by the GPU-intensive miners - they're all really looking for 4GB minimum.

From what I've read crossfire/sli in general causes problems with cryptomining.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool!
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    Probably as soon as someone is willing to have their mac be a guinea pig for testing. My understanding is they have a mac client ready to go but the only machine they had to test it on didn't have a strong enough video card.

Sadly, mine has he same video card.
    I was hoping the new software could be run on machines with weaker video cards.

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am 
    keybounce wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

Sadly, mine has he same video card.
    I was hoping the new software could be run on machines with weaker video cards.

Well... it can. But I dunno exactly what mac and video card they used. And I don't know if they still have access to that machine. It wouldn't hurt to offer to test it for them... proviso you agree to not hold Erfworld liable if it causes your computer to catch fire and burn your house down. :-P

I have a mac here but it doesn't have a discrete video card at all I dun think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am 
    Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    mrnegativity78 wrote:

How do you run the new miner with flags? Do you have to modify some bat file?
    Or do you run it in DOS command line?
    Thanks!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am 
    Zebio wrote:
    mrnegativity78 wrote:

How do you run the new miner with flags? Do you have to modify some bat file?
    Or do you run it in DOS command line?
    Thanks!

mine4erf.bat wrote:
    Listing CUDA devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
    Starting with parameters: -G
    You can override these parameters by adding a hardware-detect-override.txt file to the miner's folder.

Seems related. My guess? Create a new text file in the same folder as mine4erf.bat named "hardware-detect-override.txt" and put what parameters you want in there. But I haven't tried this (yet).

EDIT: Yup... exactly that...

mine4erf.bat wrote:
    Listing CUDA devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
    Starting with parameters: --ubiq -G
    You can override these parameters by adding a hardware-detect-override.txt file to the miner's folder.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    Seems related. My guess? Create a new text file in the same folder as mine4erf.bat named "hardware-detect-override.txt" and put what parameters you want in there. But I haven't tried this (yet).

Well, I'm still trying to get my old Nvidia GeForce GT630 to mine Ubq instead of feathercoins, so I thought that maybe changing so parameters would help. I guessed that it had with hardware-detect-override.txt to do but didn't how to use it; you guessed it right so thank you.
    It "worked", meaning that the miner launched with the custom parameters, but then I got several errors:
    1) with --ubiq -G, it starts mining Ubiq (connection to the ubiq pool) but I get Error1.jpg saying that my device runs OpenCL1.1 and that the miner needs at least 1.2. I've updated my Nvidia drivers, and when I look at the version of my openCL dll they are 2.0.4.0. But that's an error I got when I tried to run ethminer on my own, so probably it doesn't look at the right place to find openCL.
    Attachment:
    Error1.jpg
    Error1.jpg [ 227.73 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]

2) with --ubiq -U, it also starts to mine Ubiq but I get Error2.jpg where the miner restarts with new parameters after "cu 22:45:29|cuda-0 | Allocating light with size: 18481088":
    Attachment:
    Error2.jpg
    Error2.jpg [ 162.92 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]

It ends up with switching on ethereum mining where I get the following error (quite understandable), as well as the OpenCL1.1 error such as above:
    Code:
     cu  22:45:36|cuda-0  |  CUDA device GeForce GT 630  has insufficient GP
    . 2147483648  bytes of memory found < 2550134144  bytes of memory requir
      X  22:45:36|cl-1    |  OpenCL Error: clEnqueueWriteBuffer: CL_INVALID_
    QUEUE (-36)

Sometimes, after "Allocating light with size: 18481088", I got some error like in Error3.jpg, but it's not always.
    Attachment:
    Error3.jpg
    Error3.jpg [ 80.28 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]

That might be the source of the mine switching to feathercoins rather than mining Ubiq although my GPU should be able to mine the latter.
    JBeshir wrote:
    I'm not sure why your GPU isn't getting the Ubiq miner- I'll see if I can come up with any ideas.

3) Finally, I don't understand if my GPU could use more memory to mine and if I can change the OpenCL parameters, increasing CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE for example (I've read somewhere, in my quest to understand something to mining and miners, that some people set up this parameter close to the CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE value). This is what I get at miner start-up:
    Code:
    Listing OpenCL devices.
    FORMAT: [platformID] [deviceID] deviceName
    [0] [0] GeForce GT 630
            CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU
            CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 2147483648
            CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 536870912
            CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 1024

Some part of the errors / log file are in french (nobody's perfect), but they mainly say "hit a key to continue" and "SUCCESS: the specified value has been recorded/saved"...
    Well that's a pretty long message, I'm sorry but if anybody has any idea, I would be very thankful!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm 
    Ok so your graphics card is limited to OpenCL1.1... which isn't sufficient to mine with the ethminer (which is used for both ubiq and etherium). But you have an Nvidia so you should be able to mine with CUDA. CUDA is the -U flag (instead of -G which is OpenCL).

With CUDA it should work... I think. Obviously, it doesn't though. Try it with just the --ubiq flag and see what happens?

I'm taking shots in the dark at this point.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 pm 
    Thanks JadedDragoon for your reply. With --ubiq alone, I have the same errors than with -G, probably the default mode is with OpenCL... I still don't understand if my GPU really is OpenCL1.1 limited even if the Nvidia driver's version is OpenCL2.0 (probably though, because I guess there is no retro-compatibility for old cards).
    Another thing around which I had questionings about was that when I run dxdiag or look in my Nvidia configuration panel, they say that I have 3.816 Go of video RAM, 2.048 Go from my GPU and 1.768 Go from system shared video memory. Is there any way to use the latter for mining?
    Thanks again to you all!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 am 
    Zebio wrote:
    Thanks JadedDragoon for your reply. With --ubiq alone, I have the same errors than with -G, probably the default mode is with OpenCL... I still don't understand if my GPU really is OpenCL1.1 limited even if the Nvidia driver's version is OpenCL2.0 (probably though, because I guess there is no retro-compatibility for old cards).
    Another thing around which I had questionings about was that when I run dxdiag or look in my Nvidia configuration panel, they say that I have 3.816 Go of video RAM, 2.048 Go from my GPU and 1.768 Go from system shared video memory. Is there any way to use the latter for mining?
    Thanks again to you all!

No, you can't use shared memory. Unfortunately. The problem is the latency between system ram and the GPU. The video memory on the graphics adapter is connected directly to the GPU with a tremendous bandwidth. It allows huge amounts of data held in video memory to be accessed and manipulated by the gpu very very quickly with negligable delay.

The system memory, on the other hand, is connected to the gpu via the PCIx bus, through the CPU, and then to the system ram. That all adds up to a great deal more latency which would very negatively impact the performance of any cryptomining work. The gains in memory capacity wouldn't be enough to offset the lost perfomance due to latency.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:23 am 
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    Zebio wrote:
    Thanks again to you all!

No, you can't use shared memory. Unfortunately. The problem is the latency between system ram and the GPU. The video memory on the graphics adapter is connected directly to the GPU with a tremendous bandwidth. It allows huge amounts of data held in video memory to be accessed and manipulated by the gpu very very quickly with negligable delay.

The system memory, on the other hand, is connected to the gpu via the PCIx bus, through the CPU, and then to the system ram. That all adds up to a great deal more latency which would very negatively impact the performance of any cryptomining work. The gains in memory capacity wouldn't be enough to offset the lost perfomance due to latency.

Nice technical answer, I learned something.
    What's your speciality, Computomancy?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 am 
    Zebio wrote:
    Nice technical answer, I learned something.
    What's your speciality, Computomancy?

As a matter of fact, I've been fixing computer professionally for just over 20 years now. :-)

So yes. :-P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 pm 
    In a desperate attempt, I ran ethminer (not the ErfMiner) with -U and the address of the Erfworld Ubiq pool (including my UID) to see if it gave the same kind of errors.
    It replied :
    Cuda error in func 'set_constants' at line 164 : invalid device symbol

So I decided to install the whole CUDA toolkit from NVIDIA, maybe that was lacking, but even after that, it's still not working... I guess I'll abandon now and keep mining feathercoins...
    If someone or even me can come to an idea I haven't tested yet...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    JBeshir wrote:
    If you have at least 2GB of VRAM, you'll mine Ubiq, a cryptocurrency which is a lot like ETH, about 80% as good to mine, and whose main distinguishing features for our purposes is that it needs a bit less VRAM to mine.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by 80%?
    Is it 80% of the eth value? Or is 80% as efficient as eth when calcualting watts per dollar?

I experimented a little with Ubiq and with -U and dsr1.2x I get 19.15Mh/s and with -G I get 19.30Mh/s.

So with GTX980 it appears I am getting a lot more shares per hour in ubiq rather than eth only at the cost of spins per hour.

Also it is slightly more possible for me to do stuff on my computer while mining.

Though while mining ubiq I did suffer a crashing reboot. Unfortunately I wasn't watching the screen when it happened and there was no eventlog for it. Found a memory dump for it, but no attatched log.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 am 
    Knott wrote:
    JBeshir wrote:
    If you have at least 2GB of VRAM, you'll mine Ubiq, a cryptocurrency which is a lot like ETH, about 80% as good to mine, and whose main distinguishing features for our purposes is that it needs a bit less VRAM to mine.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by 80%?
    Is it 80% of the eth value? Or is 80% as efficient as eth when calcualting watts per dollar?

I experimented a little with Ubiq and with -U and dsr1.2x I get 19.15Mh/s and with -G I get 19.30Mh/s.

So with GTX980 it appears I am getting a lot more shares per hour in ubiq rather than eth only at the cost of spins per hour.

Also it is slightly more possible for me to do stuff on my computer while mining.

Though while mining ubiq I did suffer a crashing reboot. Unfortunately I wasn't watching the screen when it happened and there was no eventlog for it. Found a memory dump for it, but no attatched log.

A reboot like that possibly indicates an overheating event. Just an fyi. This is very rarely harmful for the equipment as the equipment tends to malfunction (stopping the heat gain) well before reaching temperatures that would cause physical damage. But it is something you should keep an eye on.

As to your other question. Average hourly hashrate in the etherminer pool is currently 1.9 GH/s. This gives an estimated payout of $3.17usd per hour. From this we can estimate that 10 MH/s comes to ~0.017usd/hour.

Average hourly hashrate in the ubiq pool is currently 147 Mh/s. This gives an estimated payout of $0.21 per hour. From this we can estimate that 10 MH/s comes to ~0.014usd/hour.

That means that each hash for ubiq is worth about 85.6% what each hash for etherium is worth. It's worth noting that what JBeshir posted was from the beginning of the week and we've had some market shenanigans in the last week. Ubiq has fully recovered (and is doing better, in fact, than it was) relative to the US dollar while etherium is still slightly lower than where it was seven days ago. This readily accounts for the 5.6% difference in JBeshir's numbers before and mine just now.

I can't tell you with certainty this is what JBeshir meant, however, but I believe it to be the case.

It's also worth noting that the shares awarded for ubiq mining when rolling for gems are adjusted to account for the difference between ubiq and etherium. If you find it too inconvenient to mine etherium then you probably should mine ubiq instead. It won't hurt (or improve) your per-hour chances of finding a gem.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:43 am 
    Knott wrote:
    JBeshir wrote:

So I should be able to mine Ubiq with my GT630 2GB GPU (see above), I'm still trying anyway. I want more shares, because scrypt mining is quite inefficient, ran for almost 12 hours tonight, got only one (unsuccessful) spin, probably because the miner needs time to start mining (often long periods with 0 hashrate before starting) and does not produce many shares.
    Erfminer and ethminer don't work (see above), I tried claymore's miner, but it doesn't allow pool mining with the http protocol so I may have to change the -epool parameter but I don't know how.
    I was even on the verge to try CPU mining with geth or go-ubiq, but I don't want to download DAG files, to synchronize a block chain and I didn't find how to do CPU pool mining (yet). Also, I read that CPU is quite inefficient and I don't know if it's worth the effort (for Erfworld and for me)...
    I still have a few miners to try or maybe consider to mine some other currency and change it to ETH for Erfworld (or stop mining alt. buying a recent GPU).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    ripple wrote:
    mrnegativity78 wrote:

Well a little update...

So the crossfire is specifically a 'hybrid crossfire' with my APU and a discrete R7.

That being said. The APU technically uses shared memory but the it seems to handle it so long as I set the buffer to 2gb.

Now, my APU and my R7 card are both unlocked so with some adjustments I've boosted my system memory clock as far as I can take it, boosted the APU's gpu clock up to 1100 mhz from 720 and gota modest boost from 2.21Mh/s to 2.67. On the discrete R7 I upped it's clock 720 to 890mhz and upped the memory up to 1170mhz and got another modest boost there from 2.71Mh/s 3.46.

So now I'm getting an average of 6.01Mh/s from 4.89.

On top of that I upped the frame rate in GTA V too and I can't be happier! Thanks Mine4erf!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:54 pm 
    mrnegativity78 wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    ripple wrote:

Well a little update...

So the crossfire is specifically a 'hybrid crossfire' with my APU and a discrete R7.

That being said. The APU technically uses shared memory but the it seems to handle it so long as I set the buffer to 2gb.

Now, my APU and my R7 card are both unlocked so with some adjustments I've boosted my system memory clock as far as I can take it, boosted the APU's gpu clock up to 1100 mhz from 720 and gota modest boost from 2.21Mh/s to 2.67. On the discrete R7 I upped it's clock 720 to 890mhz and upped the memory up to 1170mhz and got another modest boost there from 2.71Mh/s 3.46.

So now I'm getting an average of 6.01Mh/s from 4.89.

On top of that I upped the frame rate in GTA V too and I can't be happier! Thanks Mine4erf!

The APU is really just a combination CPU and GPU like modern Intel CPUs have... AMD is just being unnecessarily fancy with their terminology. The key here is that the GPU built into the AMD CPU has nearly direct access to system ram. In fact, the memory controller for system ram is actually a part of the CPU on modern systems (ever since Intel integrated the functionality of what used to be called the "northbridge" into their CPUs). This makes it easier for the CPU (and any integrated GPU) to use system memory than dedicated video memory.

So yes, that's pretty consistent with your results.

But, to be frank, I'd estimate that your dedicated graphics card should be getting 15Mh/s or more by itself. I still think your crossfire setup is holding you back.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf