Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Admin
Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
This post lists guides that exist to optimising your miner to increase the number of shares and thus gems you get.

For AMD Graphics Cards

Trying A Special Mining Driver: http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/58411 ... hics-cards (Yshl)

For nVidia Graphics Cards

GTX 970 Guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/co ... ining_faq/

GTX 9xx Cards - Switching to Intensive Mode Using SMI: viewtopic.php?p=235709#p235709 - you'll want to open a command prompt in "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI" to use these commands.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:18 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I wish there were a way to easily swap drivers on the fly - I have an AMD card, but my "mining rig" is just my always-on gaming rig when I'm not at home to be gaming (or when I'm not doing gaming), and it's a right pain to swap to the coin-focused drivers and back.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 am 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    There exist a few different ways to squeeze a few extra hashes out of your card. The one I'm covering today is overclocking. The friendly miners or at reddit have assembled repository of tools and guides. https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/wiki/software/oc

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK Overclocking can damage your precious video cards.

While I am not particularly verbose in explaining things the short end of it is I was able to squeeze and additional 5 MH from my gtx 1080 but a measely .4 MH from my gtx 960 (post optimization tricks posted above).

My 1080 oc settings:
    power target: 75%
    gpu clock offset: +100
    memory clock offset: +800

My 960 settings
    power target: 75%
    gpu clock offset: +100
    memory clock offset: +428

When over clocking it is recommended to start your memory off set at +400 and work your way up/down as +800 may give you reduced output but +500 could be better. There is no exact science (afaik) to overclocking. It is all trial and error. Note: Ethereum mining is more memory intensive so the gpu clock shouldn't the total mining speed a large amount but will change the power consumption much more significantly.

Additionally, it seems that I get an extra few shares an hour using the standard ethminer client instead of the lovely custom one team erfworld put together. I haven't tested this enough to obtain statistically significant data yet. If requested, I can put together a quick guide on how to install and use ethminer.

Last edited by Cryptomancer on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Is there a facile way to tweak the actual overall percentage usage of the card? Eyeing my hardware while it runs, I'm seeing something on the order of 37.5-40% usage while otherwise idle. Might be worthwhile to bump that up to 60 or 80% for light workload, temperatures depending, while otherwise idle.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:04 am 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    ThePartyGecko wrote:
    Is there a facile way to tweak the actual overall percentage usage of the card? Eyeing my hardware while it runs, I'm seeing something on the order of 37.5-40% usage while otherwise idle. Might be worthwhile to bump that up to 60 or 80% for light workload, temperatures depending, while otherwise idle.

I'm assuming you're talking about gpu usage? Like I said in my last post, Eth mining is a memory heavy workload meaning that the gpu usage percentage is largely irrelevant. You can raise the gpu clock offset and to increase the workload through the overclocking programs but the overall effect isn't huge aside from energy consumption.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:18 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I was referring to memory usage on the GPU.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 am 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    For NVIDIA 970 cards, I found this post, that helped me understand the max rates I could set the card to without actually overclocking (and how to force the card/drivers to stay there) :) UAYOR & YMMV

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/14669/howto-efficient-mining-ether-with-nvidia-gpu-windows-10-uptodate-drivers

Another thing to note: when you update drivers using the NVIDIA GeForce Experience, it resets most of your settings back to defaults, I couldn't figure out why I went from 11 shares an hour down to 3 :( Now I'm testing with the advice from the link above...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Cryptomancer wrote:
    ThePartyGecko wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about gpu usage? Like I said in my last post, Eth mining is a memory heavy workload meaning that the gpu usage percentage is largely irrelevant. You can raise the gpu clock offset and to increase the workload through the overclocking programs but the overall effect isn't huge aside from energy consumption.

As far as I can see, neither the GPU memory nor the GPU processor is getting much use on mine. Task Manager says GPU memory usage with the miner running is at 3.8/24.0 GB, and GPU time is running under 5%. Isn't there anything I can tweak in the miner parameters to make it use more of my GPU's capabilities without overclocking anything?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Storel wrote:
    Cryptomancer wrote:
    ThePartyGecko wrote:

As far as I can see, neither the GPU memory nor the GPU processor is getting much use on mine. Task Manager says GPU memory usage with the miner running is at 3.8/24.0 GB, and GPU time is running under 5%. Isn't there anything I can tweak in the miner parameters to make it use more of my GPU's capabilities without overclocking anything?

First off, you don't have 24GB video ram. Likely you have 8 GB of video memory and then 16 GB of system memory.

Second, the resource that crypto mining depends on heavily for performance is VRAM bandwidth. That is the amount of data that can be by the GPU from VRAM in a given amount of time. The only reason the crypto miners uses even 3GB of VRAM is to prevent the use of ASICs for crypto mining. It's not a performance-related requirement. And it's normal for crypto mining to not tax the GPU... because, again, the bandwidth between the GPU and VRAM is the bottleneck here.

Finally, overclocking doesn't allow you to use more of your graphics cards capabilities... it gives your graphics card more capabilities. Overclocking the video memory bus might improve performance (by giving you more vram bandwidth). In-fact, it has been shown to. But the rest not so much. Not for cryptomining.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    First off, you don't have 24GB video ram. Likely you have 8 GB of video memory and then 16 GB of system memory.

Exactly correct, sorry for my confusion.

JadedDragoon wrote:
    Second, the resource that crypto mining depends on heavily for performance is VRAM bandwidth. That is the amount of data that can be by the GPU from VRAM in a given amount of time. The only reason the crypto miners uses even 3GB of VRAM is to prevent the use of ASICs for crypto mining. It's not a performance-related requirement. And it's normal for crypto mining to not tax the GPU... because, again, the bandwidth between the GPU and VRAM is the bottleneck here.

Finally, overclocking doesn't allow you to use more of your graphics cards capabilities... it gives your graphics card more capabilities. Overclocking the video memory bus might improve performance (by giving you more vram bandwidth). In-fact, it has been shown to. But the rest not so much. Not for cryptomining.

Ah, I see. So the short answer to my question is "No". Thank you!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf