Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm 
Site Admin
Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
I've added a version number to the miner so you can tell whether you're running the latest version, and see when it updates. A bunch of fixes are in the changes from today. You'll see them next time you run the miner (or it autostarts), as the autoupdate logic will pick up on it:

- Improved hardware support checks: On launch we now check what cards we can detect with enough VRAM, and use only those, to more reliably get the right card. If you don't have enough VRAM we now give a good error message. For nVidia card owners, we also check for whether your card's CUDA capabilities are good enough. This won't necessarily catch all the cases where hardware doesn't support the miner, but should catch most. This might avoid a lot of confusing crash cases we've had, which seem to have happened when the card didn't support the miner but instead of producing a nice error message the miner was flipping out.

EDIT: 0.2.3 now only does the CUDA check if we can get that information; otherwise skips it. Hopefully avoids a problem with nVidia drivers that aren't the latest.

EDIT: 0.2.4 fixes an issue breaking AMD card detection.

EDIT: 0.2.5 does improved detection of parameters needed to skip some integrated graphics. 0.2.6 has a potential fix for incorrectly using a mode that requires the latest nVidia drivers.

EDIT: 0.2.7 shows the hardware we could detect if we think you can't mine, to help with investigating problems.

- Suppress spurious delete error: If you weren't launching automatically on startup, you'd see an error message, because each time you ran it, it was trying to remove the launch-on-startup link to make sure it wasn't there, even if it already didn't exist. We now make this happen quietly.

- Graphics cards list on launch: We now show what your cards are and their details when the miner starts running, to make diagnosing issues easier.

Website changes (not the miner):
Your gem collection and gem mining scene will now be persistent (they were *supposed* to be, but had a bug), and miners will now no longer see ads on archives (as intended).

Gems continue to count towards you and your tribe's score after being sold.

2018-02-23:
The sidebar has been restored to Gem Mining and Gem Collection pages, and will fall to the bottom of the page on mobile, so you can see the team score and leaderboards without having to go to the homepage or something.
Personal score is now visible on the Gem Mining page. You're welcome Yshl!

This isn't the end of work by a long shot and there's a lot of stuff additional to fixes that would be good to add soon too. We're working towards reducing the scary "all miners are suspicious" antivirus complaints, too, by getting a code signing certificate that will let us declare that This Comes From Erfworld And We Are Endorsed By Authority, it's just this is going to take a little longer.

Thanks for all your support, both by running the miner and helping to improve it!

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most
    Seems the new hardware detection script breaks mine4erf for me.

Spoiler: show
    Attachment:
    Screenshot 2018-02-22 14.17.43.png
    Screenshot 2018-02-22 14.17.43.png [ 15.27 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I've just put out an 0.2.3-beta, which tries to work around a problem with some versions of nVidia drivers (maybe all but the latest) which might cause this. Does this go back to working okay?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:56 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most
    JBeshir wrote:
    I've just put out an 0.2.3-beta, which tries to work around a problem with some versions of nVidia drivers (maybe all but the latest) which might cause this. Does this go back to working okay?

I'm actually running a Radeon R9 390x. But let me check... nope. Same problem.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    I was able to successfully mine last night, and now I get the following message when I try to start it today.

"Thank you for attempting to mine4erf! Unfortunately it looks like we don't support your hardware (yet).

It took a few minutes for me to get up and running last night but it worked. Now it doesn't. I kinda wish I would have tried to mine for longer than the hour I did last night just to get a few more spins.

I have no idea what my drivers are. I am not that technically proficient when it comes to that kind of stuff. I just know it worked yesterday and today it won't even try it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    DLuxxx wrote:
    I was able to successfully mine last night, and now I get the following message when I try to start it today.

"Thank you for attempting to mine4erf! Unfortunately it looks like we don't support your hardware (yet).

It took a few minutes for me to get up and running last night but it worked. Now it doesn't. I kinda wish I would have tried to mine for longer than the hour I did last night just to get a few more spins.

I have no idea what my drivers are. I am not that technically proficient when it comes to that kind of stuff. I just know it worked yesterday and today it won't even try it.

What hardware do you have?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    JBeshir wrote:

Radeon here as well, and it also claims an integrated graphics card is all I have.

Looking at the hardware detect script, the 'processCurrentCardCL' function isn't setting 'hasOtherValidOpenCLPlatform' true, so I don't think any AMD card is going to start with this version.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Ruler of Erfworld This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I've gotten a hold of ethminer 0.9 which supports cpu mining and may support older gpu as well. I will test later and make available as a HowTo later if it works

Follow the Adventures of Prince Valareos of Halareos: First Page Latest Page

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    I, too, was mining just fine before this update and am now getting that message now on launch. Anyway to roll back to the previous version?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:08 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Add me to the list. Radeon Rx480.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    What hardware do you have?

I have a stock Dell Inspiron 5765.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:03 am 
    Site Admin
    agburanar wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    JBeshir wrote:

Radeon here as well, and it also claims an integrated graphics card is all I have.

Looking at the hardware detect script, the 'processCurrentCardCL' function isn't setting 'hasOtherValidOpenCLPlatform' true, so I don't think any AMD card is going to start with this version.

Nicely caught! I've just put out an 0.2.4 that should hopefully correct this. Does this solve the problems people are having?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I just rebooted, and the new script has started giving me an insufficient CUDA error D:

Insufficient CUDA Driver: 8000
    Running Geforce GTX 970M

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 am 
    Site Admin
    Could you run ".\internal.exe -U --list-devices" from a command prompt opened in the directory of the miner?

This error means that the way the miner is running requires the latest nVidia drivers, and they're not installed. An immediate fix is to upgrade drivers, but we try to avoid this by running in a more compatible way unless we detect we can't.

Clearly, the more compatible way worked for you, and that detection was wrong. I've made a change that might solve this- I think if something was showing up with not enough VRAM during the CUDA check it might have falsely caused it- but it'd help to confirm if I could see that list.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 am 
    JBeshir wrote:
    Nicely caught! I've just put out an 0.2.4 that should hopefully correct this. Does this solve the problems people are having?

This cleared up the problem with my Radeon. TYTY. Btw, if you ever need someone to troubleshoot Radeon problems I'm game. Just let me know.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 am 
    Site Admin
    That's good to know! I might try to get someone from the community with an AMD card to test things in future- none of the team have one, which means a lot of the AMD-specific code can't be tested before updating the miner.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Mm, updated Nvidia driver fixed for me, back to mining!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 am 
    Mined 4 Erf E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    The update to 0.2.6 is working now. Yay!

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series here if that helps somehow.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Ruler of Erfworld This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    No luck finding an Eth CPU miner. And the reason why you need 4 GB vram is the file used to calculate target difficulty is like 2 and a half gigs. Cant find any miner that just downloads the dag to hard drive and uses gpu to calculate :/ and most have removed support for cpu cause "not viable"

THough... does the ethermine have a non stratum server? may be able to get it working that way

Follow the Adventures of Prince Valareos of Halareos: First Page Latest Page

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    My mining speed has decreased dramatically for some reason. On tuesday and wednesday I was mining at 10 to 10.3 Mh/s, today my speed has been between 3 and 3.3 Mh/s. I'm also seeing somewhat fewer shares per hour, earlier in the week I mostly got 4-7 shares per hour iirc, today it's mostly 3/hour, a 1, a 2, and 5 as an outlier.

I'm using a Radeon R9 280.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf