Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:06 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
As a nice side effect of my wife's computer dying, the replacement seems to have the right specs. Unfortunately, I'm running into some new problems, which seem somewhat related but different from what's in the forum so far. I don't think they have to do with the typical Windows Defender warning or the McAfee Security the computer came with, since I tried downloading the miner several times with everything I could turn off turned off, and the FAQ says that shouldn't be a problem if I work around the messages. Nothing's quarantined either, but I thought I should mention the background. VRAM = 4141 MB, btw.

Immediately after entering my Erfworld username and choosing whether to automatically start the miner, a third line pops up that reads:

Could Not Find C:\Users\wifename\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\mine4erf.lnk

If it matters, 'wifename' is a redaction in place of her name, and there's a space between 'Start' and 'Menu' in the line.

Most of the following lines indicate success of whatever's happening, but about twenty lines down, right before it goes into a succession of 0.00 Mh/s messages that last for several minutes, there are these four lines:

Creating light cache buffer, size 39190336
Creating DAG buffer, size 2508191872
Creating DAG buffer failed: clCreateBuffer: CL_INVALID_BUFFER_SIZE (-61)
OpenCL Error: clEnqueueWriteBuffer: CL_INVALID_MEM_OBJECT (-38)

Got any help for me?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    No immediate clues; Any idea what the video card in it is?

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Ruler of Erfworld This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    silly as this may seem, turning off the anti virus may not turn off the Web protection or the Real time protection in many antiviruses, including McAfee.

Create a folder on your computer, and add that entire folder into your antivirus's exception list. THen put your ErfMiner in that folder

Follow the Adventures of Prince Valareos of Halareos: First Page Latest Page

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    HighJumper wrote:
    Immediately after entering my Erfworld username and choosing whether to automatically start the miner, a third line pops up that reads:

Could Not Find C:\Users\wifename\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\mine4erf.lnk

I can tell you this relates to the miner starting up with windows. Not 100% certain that's not SOP. An easy test is to restart the computer and see if the miner comes up on its own. But outside of that, it should be harmless.

The other problem is more troublesome, however. Best suggestion off the top of my head is to make absolutely sure you have the latest graphics drivers from the video chip maker (AMD or nVidia).

Is should look more like this, (for reference).

Code:
    m  01:34:00|main      ethminer version 0.14.0.dev1
      m  01:34:00|main      Build: Windows/msvc / Release
      i  01:34:00|main      Found suitable OpenCL device [ Hawaii ] with 8589934592  bytes of GPU memory
      m  01:34:00|main       Press 0 to pause mining!
      i  01:34:00|main      Connecting to stratum server eu1.ethermine.org:14444
      i  01:34:10|stratum   Connected to stratum server eu1.ethermine.org:14444
      i  01:34:10|stratum   Starting farm
     cl  01:34:10|cl-0      No work. Pause for 3 s.
      i  01:34:10|stratum   Subscribed to stratum server
      i  01:34:11|stratum   Authorized worker 0xB6dE5c4849f5b48fcE48a4531aa8a0f85a12f027.128967
      i  01:34:11|stratum   Received new job #3d826e15
     cl  01:34:13|cl-0      New work: header #3d826e15ΓǪ target 0000000112e0be826d694b2e62d01511f12a6061fbaec8bc02357593e70e52ba
     cl  01:34:13|cl-0      New seed #a9b0e0c9ΓǪ
     cl  01:34:15|cl-0      Platform: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
     cl  01:34:15|cl-0      Device:   Hawaii  / OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2527.7)
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      OpenCL kernel: Stable kernel
      m  01:34:16|main      Speed   0.00 Mh/s    gpu/0  0.00  [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Build info:
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Creating light cache buffer, size 39190336
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Creating DAG buffer, size 2508191872
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Loading kernels
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Writing light cache buffer
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Creating buffer for header.
     cl  01:34:16|cl-0      Creating mining buffer
      m  01:34:21|main      Speed   0.00 Mh/s    gpu/0  0.00  [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
      i  01:34:21|cl-0      2.33594  GB of DAG data generated in 5219 ms.
     cl  01:34:21|cl-0      Switch time 10906 ms / 8236831 us
      m  01:34:26|main      Speed  24.92 Mh/s    gpu/0 24.92  [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
      m  01:34:31|main      Speed  25.92 Mh/s    gpu/0 25.92  [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
      m  01:34:37|main      Speed  26.44 Mh/s    gpu/0 26.44  [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 am 
    Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    HighJumper wrote:

It's not really an error. I get the same message if I choose not to automatically start the miner. When you choose "no" it tries to delete the file that automatically starts the miner, that's the ...\Startup\mine4erf.lnk file. If you didn't choose "yes" the previous time, that file isn't there, so it shows an error.

The batch file could be changed to check if the file exists before trying to delete it:
    if exist <path&file name> del <path&file name>

Wish I could help with the buffer errors, but I don't have a clue with those.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I'm not sure what causes the buffer size error here; it MIGHT be a CUDA capabilities error, depending on what the card is. There's a new version of the miner up now which silences the "could not find" error and has improved checks: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14216&p=234928#p234928

If you rerun the miner (by clicking mine4erf.bat) you should get the newer version, and if it passes hardware checks, it'll show your graphics cards in a list when it starts; could you do that and paste the details here? I might be able to work towards figuring out what the buffer size problem is from there.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Now all I'm getting is:

----------------------
    Mine4Erf 0.2.1-beta
    ----------------------
    Thank you for attempting to mine4erf! Unfortunately it looks like we don't support your hardware (yet).
    CAN'T MINE
    Press any key to continue...

Pressing any key closes the command window.

I do vaguely remember something about shared memory not counting toward the actual VRAM, but I just looked up VRAM by Approximate Total Memory in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. All the information I see there:

Name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
    DAC Type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Display Device
    Approx. Total Memory: 4141 MB
    Display Memory: 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 4013 MB

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:16 pm 
    Site Admin
    Ah, yeah, unfortunately the figure which determines whether you can mine here is the display memory rather than the shared memory. :(

Thank you for trying to run the miner, and for the help debugging!

There should be a more elaborate error message explaining the hardware problem, it tries to print something like "CAN'T MINE: It looks like you only have integrated graphics, which don't support mine4erf :(" but I think the particular configuration didn't generate it. I've made an additional tweak that should make that message show up more reliably.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:18 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I'm getting a similar error now with the new vershion on my gtx970 which was mining just fine until this, it seems to be only seeing my motherboards integrated graphics.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Update: This version of the miner requires the absolute latest driver vershon, i hadn;t updated since just after christmas but since it ran fine i hadn;t worried about it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:34 pm 
    Site Admin
    Thanks for the info, it might be caused by the CUDA checks. I'll think some on whether I can make it recognise an older driver and skip the checks, maybe with a warning.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf