Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:42 am 
This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
Hey, I'm running into a problem here - I've got a laptop with two graphics cards - a lousy Intel onboard one, and an NVIDIA one that's somewhat fancier. But when I run the script, it always picks up the Intel one, and says it can't handle the mining because of course it can't.

When I run the command you're using to get the video card, the output is:

Quote:
C:\...\mine4erf>wmic path win32_VideoController get name
Name
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

And then when the script starts up I see:
Quote:
m 02:33:59|main ethminer version 0.14.0.dev1
m 02:33:59|main Build: Windows/msvc / Release
i 02:33:59|main Found suitable OpenCL device [ Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 ] with 1468006400 bytes of GPU memory

Is there a way to override the selection and make it use the better graphics card?

PS: this whole experiment is so cool :stanley:

EDIT: I tried tweaking the internal.bat script to only pick up the NVIDIA card, as follows:
Quote:
FOR /F "usebackq delims=" %%i IN (`wmic path win32_VideoController get name ^| FIND /I "NVIDIA"`) DO set GRAPHICSCARD=%%i

But the internal.exe code doesn't seem to take this into account and still picks up the Intel regardless.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I have some ideas for how to approach this, but am not sure what options are the right ones. If you're willing to assist in some science and do some testing, we can hopefully sort this out. If you edit internal.bat to replace

Code:
    .\internal.exe %MODE% -O %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS%

with

Code:
    .\internal.exe %MODE% -O -U %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS%

does it help?

What if you add "--cuda-devices 0" or "--opencl-device 0" or both? Or swap the 0 for 1?

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Running
    Code:
    .\internal.exe %MODE% -O -U %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS%

Gives a bunch of "Invalid argument: 130116"
    Where 130116 is my Erfworld user ID.

If I add in those additional parameters, as in:
    Code:
    .\internal.exe %MODE% -O -U --cuda-devices 1 --opencl-device 1 %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS%

I get the same behavior as the stock script, for all permutations of 0 and 1 in there. Same goes if I use only "cuda-devices" or "opencl-device" with either 0 or 1.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I think I'm having a similar issue. It says I don't have a GPU with sufficient memory but I'm pretty sure I do. I'm running a GTX 980. I do however have other graphics cards for my multi monitor setup so I'm thinking it's picking up one of those.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 am 
    Doing some internet searching I found a way to make it work: set the "--opencl-platform" parameter to 1. Also, the -O has to be the last parameter before %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS% or else things won't work. So, something like this:

Code:
    .\internal.exe %MODE% --opencl-platform 1 -O %MINE4ERF_ALLFLAGS%

Combine that with something like my modification above to pick up the -G flag appropriately, and it'll work.

....... but in the end I still don't have enough VRAM even on the better GPU :(

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    That's really helpful to know. Thank you! I'm not sure how to approach an automatic fix for this, but it's very helpful to know what solved the problem.

Maybe an FAQ item and a prompt that lets you add extra parameters (which are preserved across autorestart) at the minimum, maybe a more sophisticated hardware detect powershell script included that it uses or something.

Edit: Also the intent of the script is that NVIDIA cards should not get the -G; I don't know if it does much hard to NVIDIA card speeds, but the goal is to detect if NVIDIA is present and if not, pass -G so it doesn't ask for CUDA support. So that bit should be alright either way.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 am 
    Is internal.exe a custom build of ethminer or something? The "--list-devices" command doesn't seem to work, at least for me.

I think the best solution is to let the advanced user pick the GPU themselves. Expose the list-devices command so that the user can learn the right parameters for --opencl-platform and all the rest of those fiddly parameters, and then take them as optional inputs. Also document whatever the existing behavior is, which seems to be "take the last line of output from the WMI command" at the moment.

My suggestion for a semi-automatic fix, if you're able to enumerate the GPUs and their parameters internally - just throw out anything containing "Intel", or move it to the back of the line. That should at least take care of the cases where there's an obvious wrong choice.

EDIT to reply to edit:
    Quote:
    Edit: Also the intent of the script is that NVIDIA cards should not get the -G

For me, my NVIDIA card only works with -G and complains about the CUDA driver ("insufficient") if you use -U or blank. Since the card's too old to work it probably doesn't matter, but there's another data point for you.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:07 am 
    Site Admin
    I've done some work on it and identified why the --list-devices command wasn't working; our added check for having a user ID given to us to attribute shares to was before the list-devices logic. I've changed this, and added a little hardware detection powershell script that uses the list-devices output and tries to work out what parameters to pass.

It tries to specify --opencl-platform and --opencl-devices parameters to exclude detected Intel hardware, and favours -G, unless it detects nVidia and non-nVidia non-Intel hardware in the same system (in which case it leaves the default CUDA+OpenCL behaviour).

Explicitly forcing to only OpenCL also seems to decrease system impact of running the miner, too, which is good.

It's a pity your card can't mine Ethereum, but thank you very much for the help refining the miner.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 am 
    For what it's worth, the new hardware detection works for me. Thanks!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf