Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post subject: Adjustable Resource Use?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 am 
Year of the Dwagon Supporter
I'm not especially well versed in crypto mining, so I'm not sure what sort of options are available for the mining programs. I'm wondering if there would be some way of adjusting how much of my system resources that the mining program would use?

I have two SLI'd GTX 980s, a Core i& 4790K running at a steady 4.40Ghz, and 16GB RAM. I tried opening the mining program while I had Chrome open with two Twitch streams running, and my computer slowed to the point of being a slideshow. It was still responsive enough for me to pause the mining without any issues, and let me close the program easily as well.

If I was to continue using the program, keeping the ease of use is definitely important. But beyond that, I think I would need to be able to run it in the background while watching Twitch streams or doing other non-gaming stuff. I generally don't leave my computer on while I'm not using it, so I probably won't change my normal pattern to mine overnight.

I'm not sure if an adjustment like that is possible, or if the mining would even be useful without utilizing my system completely, so this might be something that may not be possible. Just wanted to give my brief feedback after a first look.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:40 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    That's helpful to know; we did try to have a light mining feature, depending on the version of the miner we used, but it never worked very well. There's no easy way to scale the usage down (in part I think because Ethereum mining stresses memory bandwidth?) but it's definitely worth some further work to try to find reduced intensity options that actually work.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    The new version of it will if possible try to only use OpenCL rather than OpenCL and CUDA combined, which can decrease the impact on the rest of the system a bunch with nVidia hardware. This actually seems to improve mining results, at least on my 1070. It might be worth evaluating.

If you close and relaunch mine4erf.bat, you'll get the new version automatically (if you're not sure if you have it, you can check whether you got a hardware-detect.ps1 in your mine4erf folder).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: +1
     Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf
    It would be great if we could throttle this. I'd be much more likely to Mine4Erf if I could do it in the background while I work without it revving my fans to maximum.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:16 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I know in Windows you can set CPU priority, but I'm not sure that would help here. I'm running an EVGA GTX970 Hybrid, and while it runs cool, the GPU is pegged at 100% and basic 2D Windows desktop manipulation is basically impossible. I'll poke around to see if there's anything that can throttle it from a system standpoint rather than in the app itself.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:26 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    By adding the -li parameter you can reduce the workload of your miner. I did experiment with it and big numbers did have an effect. Start with -li 10 and see if your performance issues decrease.
    (open the bat file with notepad and add -li 10 in the last line of the bat file).

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Bandaid wrote:
    By adding the -li parameter you can reduce the workload of your miner. I did experiment with it and big numbers did have an effect. Start with -li 10 and see if your performance issues decrease.
    (open the bat file with notepad and add -li 10 in the last line of the bat file).

You mean as part of the call to internal.bat? I put it there and got "Invalid argument: 10" on startup, and the same with other values.

Wait, just tried it without the space between -li and the value, and that didn't throw an error. It also didn't seem to affect the performance.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:46 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    lordfisch wrote:
    Bandaid wrote:

You mean as part of the call to internal.bat? I put it there and got "Invalid argument: 10" on startup, and the same with other values.

Wait, just tried it without the space between -li and the value, and that didn't throw an error. It also didn't seem to affect the performance.

Hmm, did you try a higher number? Like 30 for example? On my PC that did cause a significantly lower hashrate and temperature.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:06 pm 
    Nah, no real difference at 30 either. For completeness, here's the line:

mine4erf.bat wrote:
    CALL ./internal.bat %* -li30

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool!
    On my GTX1080 (2560 CUDA cores, 8 gig dedicated vram, 16 gig system ram), it takes 96 to 100% of the GPU when it runs, regardless of what I do with the process's priority or with the -li parameter. My whole machine feels like it's 30 years old while this is running. It destroys the other processes that I run in the background, so I can't leave it up. If I could run it at about 25% capacity, I'd be able to leave it up constantly.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:32 pm 
    Site Admin
    The -li stuff worked on the alpha miner; the beta miner doesn't support the parameter, but is a bit lighter than the alpha miner anyway.

It would be nice to have a way to make it tuneable, but the underlying crypto miner doesn't support running at a slower speed and I am not sure how readily it could be implemented or how to do it. The closest thing I was able to find was a fix I did a day or so after launch, to not try to use CUDA and OpenCL at once, which reduced load on nVidia cards a *lot*. But it's still intensive and doesn't give people a tunable way to turn it up and down.

If I had an easy way to make an adjustable resource use option I would. I wouldn't rule out figuring out how at some future point and will be sure to include it in a release announcement if I do.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool!
    I did see that the stable kernel isn't as tunable as unstable. I haven't put VC on this machine and so can't readily build a a custom executable to play around with yet.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:20 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    It is more the other way round for me. I am running it with my 1080 and the Minder only uses 2.5 of my 8 GB VRAM, which is fine if I want to use my Computer but it is kinda stupid to only use about 30% when it is idle anyway.

And as a second question:
    Is there a list of useable parameters somewhere?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most
    Orion Guardian wrote:
    It is more the other way round for me. I am running it with my 1080 and the Minder only uses 2.5 of my 8 GB VRAM, which is fine if I want to use my Computer but it is kinda stupid to only use about 30% when it is idle anyway.

Ethereum and Ubiq mining use something called a DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph) in their calculations. This DAG has a set size, 3 gigabytes in the case of Ethereum and 2 gigabytes in the case of Ubiq. This is why your system is only using a set amount of VRAM.

Using more isn't necessary as there are no performance gains to be had by doing so. In fact, the large DAG sizes aren't performance related either... they are there to create an artificial limitation to keep ASICs from being used to mine these currencies. I'll spare you the politics behind that, but it has to do with preserving cryptocurrency's anonymity aspect.

The main thing that effects performance with these cryptominers is memory bandwidth between GPU and VRAM... which I can just about promise you is being saturated.

Orion Guardian wrote:
    And as a second question:
    Is there a list of useable parameters somewhere?

There is, but you should be careful using them. Simply open a command prompt to the location of the miner and type "internal.exe --help" for Ubiq or Ethereum.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf