Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 pm 
Has collected at least one unit
Is there any game with a contract system in the style of erfworld? Not necessarily something as multi paged as Charlie's contracts, but something akin to a written contract that can screw both sides if they are not careful.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 am 
    You mean something the players can negotiate? Lots of games have barter systems where you can put stuff into a trade window and click accept, so you could accidentally make a really bad trade. It could even be bad for both sides, like if the items traded were of negligible value to anyone but the original owners.

There are story-line games where your actions are constricted by some contract or legal obligation as part of the plot, so you can lose or at least make things far more difficult by doing something you're not allowed to do.

But if you mean a game where you can write up a contract in natural language and have the computer parse it for enforcement, no, natural language processing technology has not progressed to that point. Computers can imitate natural language by taking samples and stitching them together with syntax rules, and can transliterate phrases in one language to another, but they have zero ability to actually understand natural language at a level that would make their interpretation of a contract anything other than laughable (I mean, that could be a funny game, like those rag-doll physics games that mostly trade on how silly they are, but I doubt that would qualify). Heheh, I guess they have Alexa, which you can set to cost you money trying to guess what you're asking it to buy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:34 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    I meant writing natural language contracts.
    I think that if you greatly limit the vocabulary and phrasing possible, it could be done in a not so complicated way. I think the greater challenge will be designing such a game that people would actually want to play, and that making contracts the "correct" way will be intuitive.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:54 pm 
    I think that the closest I've encountered would be some fairly tightly scripted RPG's where you have to go through a dialogue to 'negotiate' something, and if you choose the wrong responses you either lose outright or are significantly handicapped.

Or something that involves actual programming in-game, but in that case you're not working in natural language and the computer/robot you program just executes the program you write (if it parses and executes, that is) without any concern about how advantageous it is to you.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming