Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming

Post subject: Fire Emblem - Echoes
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
Anyone else playing this at the moment?

I suspect my best bet for some decent conversation about a turn based war strategy game might be on a board dedicated to a comic about turn based war strategy game (but at the same time I don't think much traffic comes to this part of the website).

So far I am really enjoying it I like the more simple story a little bit better than Fates/Awakening with more focus on the combat and individual characters rather than the combo systems of Fates/Awakening. I might be a bit biased because it feels more like the GBA games I grew up with and loved.

The voice acting is superb and normally I wouldn't comment on it but I think due to the static art (which is beautiful) the voice acting really makes the scenes come to life and add a different dimension to the dialogue.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the modern FF's on the 3DS (I did) but this one is engaging me more. I feel a bit more connected to the characters as they have defined arcs to the point that it is forcing me to play certain characters near each other just so I can hear their support conversations.

Anyone else playing this? Got any tips? I am just playing through chapter three on Classic/Hard so it is starting to get harder.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Fire Emblem - Echoes
     Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:15 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool!
    I just started. I think I goofed with my villagers, honestly. I think certain villagers have specific stat growths, and I probably put them in jobs that were counter to their strengths.

Possible spoilers, but... nobody else is lookin' at this thread, so... whatever:

My suggestion: Don't dawdle. Don't ever dawdle. I continually find myself in situations where two different red guys are camped right outside town, because I just haaaaaad to drop off an ax. Now, I can't win that fight, because there's twenty cavalry units that mow through all my units, which are separated automatically into groups of three in random points on the map. I am just hoping one of them wanders away.
    To that end, consider moving both groups frequently. Maybe go back and forth between groups, otherwise you'll have one side overwhelmed and you'll completely forget that the overwhelmed side doesn't have that rad archer that got five levels of great stat boosts and can one-shot all the enemy casters.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:29 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I completed it fairly recently! The story was really, really good!

Where did you go with the villagers?

I went

Grey - Merc
    Toby - Archer
    Kliff - Mage
    Faye - Pegasus Knight

I heard those where the canonical matching so that is the way I went I was fairly happy with what they brought to the table.

I agree with the dawdling I had a fair few tough fights because I did those necro-dwagons on Celica's route where a pain! My fav class is Merc tbh because Dread Fighter is so OP!

I did grab the free DLC and re-classed Lukas into a Merc it was a pretty good choice because he was a complete beast!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool!
    I did:
    Grey - Mage
    Toby - Archer
    Kliff - Merc
    Faye - Pegasus Knight

I like Grey as a Mage because of his hairband, and that is all. But, his average stat progression doesn't have enough natural speed to mitigate the Mage class's lower speed. It's suuuuper rare I can get a double hit with him, while Kliff is just mowing through everything.
    Also, I wish I'd sent Faye into Mage, too. Having another Flier is nice (since Clair is the only other one you get in the first half, from what I can tell), but I know that she gets Seraphim at an early level and I just don't have any good answers to Terrors on Alm's side.

I will say, though, while I'm enjoying it a lot, it made me ache to go back and play Awakening, again. I switched to Awakening a couple days ago and can't bring myself to go back.
    Echoes has a more streamlined combat aesthetic, but I have more fun and options with Awakening. Echoes started to feel like I was doing a crossword with a Sharpie, and I hate that feeling of being just... stuck.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm 
    I do love me some Awakening and I feel your pain with Echo's some of it can be so frustrating and with fairly barren maps you can't often play some ace tactical manoeuvres when you're out-gunned and under levelled.

I didn't really feel Mages in this game if I am honest their low speed was always a draw back in comparison to Dread Fighters but in fairness I exclusively used Mages and Dread Fighters with a little bit of Archer.

The other classes by contrast I felt where a little lack lustre. I really liked the Archers being more flexible in their approach and of all the features I would probably like that one to be passed onto future titles.

Are you finding you're missing attacks more in this game than others?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 pm 
    I do notice the accuracy difference, yeah. I think, in contrast to other GBA and 3ds titles, it's because your accuracy is more tied to the character, instead of the weapon you carry.
    Also, in Awakenings and Fates, you're generally teamed up with an ally, which gives you, at minimum, an extra 10% chance to hit.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:31 pm 
    I did a lot of teaming up in Awakening but I generally tried to solo in Fates (naturally with their spouse/pal next to them).

What did you think of the maps in Echo's? Part of me really liked that the enemy was so aggressive in games like Fates/Awakening I am often annoyed that I have to spend most of my time positioning baits to attract the enemy in and then they mindlessly swamp them and then I counter. With Echo's I felt a bit more pressured that defending my healers had to happen pretty quickly or I'd be in trouble.

The downside to that where the maps just really barren in some respects and the defensive points where often so far out of the way you couldn't build a coherent strategy around them with a few exceptions.

I also didn't mind that magic cost HP but it did stop me using the higher level spells and stick to the basics.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 pm 
    Yeah. I think the maps are pretty barren. There's some random tree or tile squares, but there's almost never a wall, unless it's a giant friggin' fort. A lot of them feel very same-y.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming