Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 am 
Hello fellow Erfworld fans,

I am looking for a computer game which Erfworld has reminded me of. It was a turn based game which was sort of like civilization with hexes and cities and so forth, but it was in a fantasy setting with halflings, dwarves, elves, trolls, etc.

I thought it might be Heroes of Might and Magic after searching for a bit, but while initially I thought that might be it I realized the gameplay was very different.

It is an old game which I must have played more than 10 years ago. I can't really think of any more pertinent details. If I saw a screenshot of some of the battle gameplay I know I would recognize it in an instant. Edit: Specifically, I can remember halfling units that threw rocks with slings.

If anyone recognizes the game from my description I would really appreciate knowing its name.

Thanks!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 am 

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:22 am 
    I may be imaging the hexes! It was such a long time ago. They might have just been squares or something. Edit: I looked it up and that was not the game. Thanks very much just the same. I don't think I will find it to be honest, but I appreciate the response because I am still a bit hopeful.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:03 am 
    Age of Wonders 2 is about 10 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders_II:_The_Wizard's_Throne

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:29 am 
    Sounds like it may be Fantasy General or even Warcraft... before it became World of Warcraft.

I'd suggest looking on this abandonware site as it contains lots of old freely downloadable games and not just the strategy section pointed to in the url above

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:56 pm 
    Good link

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Has collected at least one unit
    You might check out Master of Magic or Age of Wonders, they're pretty old and are fantasy wargames.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Twitter: cayzle
    It's not Warcraft I, II, or III. (The RTS games before WOW.) Those definitely had no halfling slingers. No halflings at all.

When I saw your header, I tried to recall fantasy games on a hex grid. All I got are two olde tyme board games, Dragon Pass and Divine Right. Both great games, BTW. Neither on video, sorry.

Oh, and also Wizard, Melee, and The Fantasy Trip! Those were great hex-based board games too!

I suppose Titan is sort of hex based.

Man, what I wouldn't give to play some old board games! Life was sweet and time was ample, oh back in the day!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:10 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    You're probably imagining the hexes, but what you're describing sounds very much like Master of Magic. gog.com has it for cheap.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:49 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Hexes and halfling slingers... sounds a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

The halfling is top left, wizard unit I think? The hexes can be turned on and off
    http://www.lgdb.org/sites/default/files/node_images/2324/3954.jpg

but then again, you said it is not HoMaM so... sorry, this is the closest I came up with

PS sorry for necroing

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:53 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Was it Wesnoth?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:15 am 
    Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Not sure if this thread is even followed anymore by the OP, but have you looked at the Warlords and Warlords Battlecry series? Old fantasy-themed strategy games that might fit the description and I'm pretty sure one of those games has halfling slingers...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:31 pm 
    It is Battle of Wesnoth - https://www.wesnoth.org/

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:10 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Could these be the Halflings? Other than the time frame of 10 years, (The Halflings first appeared in Wesnoth around April 2010 https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29418) everything seems to match with the OP.

(Screenshot from the latest stable version of Wesnoth (1.12.5) featuring the Halflings from the add-on Grafted Era. Slinger depicted on right side of pic.)

Attachments:
    File comment: From Wesnoth 1.12.5, Halflings can be found in add-on 'Grafted Era'
    Screenshot_001.jpg
    Screenshot_001.jpg [ 255.02 KiB | Viewed 5623 times ]

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » General Gaming