Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Your Games

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:02 pm 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
I'm suffering a pretty annoying cold/flu or something right now. While I spent the day sleeping, I dreamed that I managed to get my side wiped out in two turns. Hoping that wasn't a premonition! lol

Warlord question: Promoting Archers, Scouts, or Knights. Do they lose any specials?

Special question: Can a special be humanoid or is that specifically limited to the Knight?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:20 am 
    This user has been published!
    Waiting on Acorntail to finish turn 1.

No time for questions right now. Answer tomorrow.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:36 pm 
    A couple of things:

Some folks have planned attacks against elephants, camels, and in one case, a hypogriff. The black animals represent hunting sites.

[the rules]
    Economic Structures
    There are various structures around the map that produce additional income. In order to produce income, the structure must be controlled, upgraded, and connected by road to one of your cities.
    Mines and Farms may be upgraded at a cost of 200S per turn. Max level 5. They produce 50S per level.
    Hunting Sites may be upgraded at a cost of 100S per turn. Max level 5. They produce 25S per level.
    [/the rules]

Also, there is some confusion about movement, and perhaps it is not clear from the rules.

Some of this is assumed cultural information from previous games played on this site, and has not been stated explicitly for that reason. I apologise.

The MarbitChow (tm) school of movement runs thus: a rider on a mount uses up their own movement even as the mount moves.
    Example:
    A rider with 6 move is on a mount with 12 move. Together, they travel for 12 movement. The rider MAY NOT get off the mount and move for 6 more movement. The riders movement drops to 0 as soon as the mount has made its first 6 move.

Why do this? To prevent the insanity of the GM, trying to keep track of how much move a unit has left after travelling on seven different mounts across three continents. And tTo stop the use of "helicopter" mounts that drop combat troops a few hexes from the scene of battle, and then carrying the victors safely away in the same turn.

MarbitChow is/was one of the great gamers on this site, and any problems with this school of movement can be expressed to him in writing directly.

You can set up a relay system, where one unit can trade mounts and move a very long way - the rider just can't get off and walk the rest of the way at the end.

Other questions:

Promoting units to Warlord - lose specials?
    I'm going with a tentative "no". Though I reserve the right to change this if there is a massive problem I have overlooked.

Can a special can be a humanoid?
    Yes - it would be considered a special knight. The only limitation is that it cannot be a mount.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:56 pm 
    I am also grappling with a continuity problem at the moment.

As it stands at the moment, I am performing all of a player's actions, and then creating the map and sending it out as the starting map for the player's next turn. This works ok when there are no other players in the "battlespace".

Unfortunately, there are now at least 3 players in close proximity to each other's battlespace, and beginning to impact on each other's maps.

So, I'm going to have to change the way I make the maps and reports. From now on I'm going to need to process every other player's turn before I send a report to the first player. Essentially, every player will be waiting for every other player to have their turn before they get to have their own turn. You might say "big deal, that was happening anyway" and you're right, but now it is going to be a bit more obvious. Essentially, as soon as you get your report, send in your next orders so I can send the next player's report.

The turn order, as it stands at the moment, is:
    Acorntail
    Deo
    HerbieRai
    Silversought
    GWvsJohn
    CroverusRaven
    SeraphRedux

In the event that I do not get a response within 48 hours of me sending you your report, your Empire will take no actions other than to gather income and pay maintenance. The game will need to move on.
    In theory, we should be able to action a full turn per week. In theory.

Cheers

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Is this being enacted right now to prevent people acting on information that they're behind on? Aka, it's only one particular person's turn right now?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:10 pm 
    At the moment it is Acorntail's turn, and Deo's, and HerbieRai's.

That is to say, these three players are not in any danger of interacting with each other at this time. I am processing their orders and responding to issues with them.

The other four players will take their moves in order after these three. Players will be informed when their turn starts, and if anything has changed from their previous reports.

I apologise for this conflabulation.

A couple more things need to be said more explicitly than has come across in the rules (although some players have interpreted things the way I meant them, rather than the way I wrote them, which I think speaks of a universal (if limited) thinkamancy link).

* Units that are not in the same hex as a command unit cannot be given orders remotely. I'm not sure this is comic-esque or not, but you would need to send a message out to an isolated stack to have them do anything other than what they did the last turn.
    * Command units (including units with leadership) are assumed to have a basic link to their ruler, so they can recieve basic orders (go here, do that) even if some distance away.
    * Scout units have a limited thinkamancy with a range of 6 hexes - scouts that start the turn more than 6 hexes from a command unit (or another Scout unit that is in range of a command unit) cannot move or scout or send reports.
    * To interact with another player (or NPC) you will both need command units present. Unled stacks autoengage, blah blah blah.

Why is this the case?
    Game control reasons. For one, it makes Command units important and useful. If every unit responds perfectly to orders over an absurd range of hexes, then it drives the GM nuts as dozens of units move in a dozen different directions every turn. This way, units move around in groups, generally do the same thing, and it makes life a whole lot simpler.

Additional Notes:
    Most players now have cities (or are about to have a city). In each city your ruler finds a magic book, in which they can write information, and have it appear in the similar books all over Erflia. It is the "Magic Book of the Thread".

Players can communicate with each other via this forum thread to make pacts, issue demands, threaten, etc. All of this discussion is public.

Players can (and should) only communicate with each other via PM if they both have command units in the same hex (Courtiers, Mancers, Rulers?). To incentivize betrayal, any player caught communicating illegitimately with another player via PM or other means will have 5000S moved from their account to the account of the player bringing it to the GM's attention (with appropriate proof, of course).

Additionally, this is a game about a comic, so I will look very kindly on players who provide appropriate artworks of their sides and adventures to this thread. The very kindly look might include finding gems, or extra schmuckers, or a fudged die roll here and there.

Cheers

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 pm 
    Oh, and yes. Flying units cannot use roads. It always costs 2 MP for a flyer to enter a hex.

The noble wing'ed creatures doth not trample the dirt.

And finally - the rules say that Infantry units can be promoted to Commanders for 500S. I'm widening this to include the Knight unit, though not any of the Special units.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm 
    Deo and HerbieRai processed.
    Waiting on a response from Acorntail.

It is now Silversought and GWvsJohn's turns.

Oh, and first blood.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:30 pm 
    Janis sighed as the scouting reports came in, one by one. It seems Wonderland hadn't been the only side to hide things away. Another side had risen from the ashes nearby, of about equal strength to her own paltry force. They had to be dealt with, one way or another. And after the most recent conquest of the Empires, Janis was sick of battle. She picked up the heavy, bound tome that had popped the moment they'd claimed this city site, picked up a quill pen, and began to write.

"To the side that bears this color:
    http://imgur.com/VKwyoGI

((Presumably underempire))

We are Wonderland, clad in Gray. We mean you no harm, propose a truce, and wish to parley. If you agree, place a command unit in a hex with the following coordinates:

x-coordinate is your leftmost scout's x-coordinate, plus 4.
    y-coordinate is your leftmost scout's y-coordiante, plus 2.

We guarantee your unit's safety and will bring no more than 2 units to the meeting. Any betrayal from our side would be made public, and harm us far more severely than it harms you. Similarly, we wish to see no more than 2 units from your side there.

Furthermore, until we have reached an agreement, we would propose a preliminary border between our lands. If you will keep all of your units right of the x-coordinate of our meeting point, we will keep all units left thereof.

Tearing each other apart right now would only exhaust both of us, and leave the other sides at a comparative advantage. Perhaps the turn will come that we must destroy each other, but this turn, let us parley in peace, and stand side by side as we face this harsh world we have been popped into.

Signed,
    Janis Tassadar"

Last edited by GJC on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm 
    I am Queen Vicotria, Ruler of the Underempire. We are the ones you are speaking too, and we might be able to agree to a truce. Unfortunetly I'll need a more exact location for the parley, as the coordinates you speak off would be in the middle of nowhere and very difficult to reach.

OOC I just did my turn today, so my scout probably moved from where you were speaking of. I'm hoping first blood wasn't against me, as the defenders usually get pwnd in TBS games.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:20 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    OOC

Unled units in the comic will auto engage hostile units, So I am guessing that someone ran into unled units and were engaged, if we are using those rules.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm 
    Do scouts autoengage a hostile unit? They're technically unled, but with 0 attack.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:38 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    SeraphRedux wrote:
    Do scouts autoengage a hostile unit? They're technically unled, but with 0 attack.

Unsure. Though it is possible that two sides might have units heading to the same location, without knowing of each other, that did have attack.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    The lights winked out in his head, and he shook in surprise. The Mogul had not experienced this feeling before. It was unpleasant, but more importantly, it was offensive. They'd croaked an EyeWit, as if any harm could possibly come from sight alone! It was. . . barbaric!

The Mogul stared at the book manifested before him; perhaps it was the Titan's Will. Egging him on, lending voice to the spread of scandal and intrigue. He smiled, then flipped the book open, noting that there were already pages filling with the words of others. He giggled a bit, eager to be heard by the other powers. Eager to be known.

[Book]I am the Mogul. I wish to spread the value of speech, and as such, I would like to begin by addressing a certain power of whom I have recently become aware. You have a City near a mountain, and this last turn, you croaked a poor EyeWit. Is Secrecy such a necessity, that even the unarmed may not be allowed passage? I am understanding, though; the poor EyeWit was traveling unannounced. As an offer to restore any lost honor to you, that you may have unintentionally lost, I propose a meeting! The Coordinates are those of (Your City X+2, Your City Y+2), or two hexes below and to the right of your City. I will send my Warlord to parley so long as the units accompanying your Warlord are all stacked with the Warlord.

Remember, my friends; the power of speech is respected over the power of war![/Book]

Last edited by Silversought on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 pm 
    AARRGGHH. I'm going to assume your not talking to me, but you might be. I haven't gotten any notifications of a battle, but I do have a city near a mountain. At least I know I wasn't ambush-KOed again.... at least not yet.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm 
    HerbieRai wrote:
    AARRGGHH. I'm going to assume your not talking to me, but you might be. I haven't gotten any notifications of a battle, but I do have a city near a mountain. At least I know I wasn't ambush-KOed again.... at least not yet.

OOC: City adjacent to a Mountain Hex that is part of a range with some Heavy Mountain Hexes? Resource sites on either side?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:46 pm 
    I'm an Orange Color if that helps. There's a resource site on one side, I haven't seen one on the other, but my scouting is spotty atm.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm 
    HerbieRai wrote:
    I'm an Orange Color if that helps. There's a resource site on one side, I haven't seen one on the other, but my scouting is spotty atm.

OOC:
    It's Blue, but is anybody else Blue? lol

City hex is surrounded by 2 Forest hexes, 1 Rocky Desert hex, 1 Mountain hex, a Grassy Road hex that looks like it has a Resource Site, and a Desert Road hex that looks like it has a resource site. Roads point North (then northwest) and Southeast. That's like. . . the best description I can give without just giving away your locale. XD

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm 
    Q: Also, what units can build roads and upgrade economic structures? Any command unit?

A: Once an economic structure has been claimed (ie, one of your units was last to enter the hex) and can trace a clear road path to your city, it can be upgraded even if no unit is present.

Under no circumstances can roads be built - that would drive the GM crazy!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:37 am 
    Mogul,
    Know that we are currently engaged in a continent wide struggle with the Imperial might of the Raj Empire and its dominions, colonies and protectorates. The Raj are not above using underhanded mercenaries like yourselves as spies on our cities and confederations but your units will know now what it means to ally yourself with the crawling menace that is the Raj. Know also that we will hold no truck with parleying with enemy units. We trust in our allies and have no need to stoop to the hiring of mercenaries or spies. We leave such vile practices to the Raj.

Otto Von Wiemar
    Chancellor of the Confederacy of Nuremdorf
    Federal republic of Uberalles

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Your Games