Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Your Games

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:00 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
Well you could join mine.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Well, if you're interested in running the game still, I'm sure you could find an option that is acceptable to you.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Hey, been a while since I was on the forums- I apologize for flaking out, as I did enjoy this game a great deal. Not sure what if anything has happened since I left, as by the nature of the game's system all information is entirely obscure to anyone not playing.

If the game's completely stalled and no one is playing anymore, I could go through my PMs and post up a play history of my side- basically an edited version of the game's messages. It might make for an interesting read.

The reason I've come on at the moment is because I saw Rob once again at Gencon this year, and amongst other amusing Erfworld things (tested several Erfworld card games, notably including Dittomancer's Duel by 0beron which we were actually able to wrangle into something fun to play after drastically mutilating its mechanics; all others I played were scrapped as unfun or mechanically unsound) managed to ask him a few questions. Nowhere near as many as last year, as I was busy, he was busy, the party was singularly memorable, and when we finally managed to get to talking on Sunday afternoon I had to run off to catch a plane.

As before, the topic drifted a bit, my memory is not perfect, nothing is solid canon until it's seen in the comic, and everything is presented through the lens of my own understanding and interpretation of what was said. Still, anyone reading this may find it interesting.

Cities were the primary topic that came up. Cities don't pop a specific "side" unit set; rather, each has a set of open unit slots. When it goes from level 0 (city site, no city) to level 1, its entire unit set is defined via a process which is primarily natural signamancy, reading the ruler's desires (usually but not always subconsciously), and taking into consideration as secondary factors a number of external items such as terrain type, surrounding terrain, surrounding cities and how they are currently templated, and so forth. At level 1 only the first couple units in the set will be unlocked, but the entire set, including those currently 'greyed out', is accessible information (to the ruler? Any city manager? This was not made clear). The first units are generally basic infantry, archers, and warlords follow shortly thereafter... but not every city has to or should follow this, as explained following.

The 'default' settings for the city will be whatever is most efficient- most aligned with all the signamancy of the ruler, terrain, and so forth. At a cost of efficiency, the ruler (or possibly the one popping the city if the process is being mediated by a signamancer/dirtamancer/etc., not made clear) can will the city to pop with a different unit set than the default; for example, a city in the desert could be built to pop warships or one of Stanley's newly captured and razed cities could be built to pop bats, but it would take them longer than for a location/ruler which has a natural affinity for those units. The inefficiency is proportional to how unfitting the units are, and can potentially result in extreme pop time differences between cities.

This is based mostly on the ruler, not the side. This means that any given ruler who builds cities may- is even likely to- have a different default unit set than their predecessor, or at the very least pop units at different efficiency levels. Because of this, a long-lasting side can see serious unit drift over time with any cities that are razed and rebuilt coming to reflect later rulers. A side can easily be completely unable to rebuild a city to its past specifications if its ruler doesn't strongly resemble the previous ruler who built the city. But a ruler can, any time they order a city built, wish for its unit set to contain literally anything they want- it's just usually not a good idea to want something wildly unusual.

The reason this is signamancy is because ultimately it boils down to a projection of information into something tangible, which is core to the signamancy discipline. A city is Erfworld's manifestation of the stat-based realities of the ruler and circumstances to which the city is popping. Everything about it reflects something about them, even if they may be not easily definable as numbers (personality traits, etc.) or extremely subtle (the ratio of troops to warlords owned by the side creating the city at its time of creation).

This segued neatly into the fact that, as cities' natural signamancy is affected by the terrain and cities around them in addition to the primary influence of the ruler, so too are other signamancies affected by the perception of the thing being signed for, no matter who does the perceiving. Someone widely perceived in a certain way will begin to take on Signs of that perception, even if they themselves disagree with the perception and even if the opinion is entirely inaccurate. The consensus of others can and will establish appearance characteristics- and it seems this can be self-reinforcing, because if you think someone is a great warlord and then they look like you imagine a great warlord to look, your opinion that they're a great warlord will be firmed up and the signamancy is reinforced.

Initial signamancy is less subject to this, though. It's primarily based on a unit's initial personality and perception of themselves, with a dash of Fate mixed in. Wanda is a good example here as she popped with a Fate-dictated appearance of someone stronger than she initially was in terms of personality (see comments on the mirror). The royals of Jetstone are another; in Jetstone the king's policy of sending out princes to fight nobly and die while he rules from home has resulted in his own signamancy being short and waddling while his princes are strong and noble- but it's not just some cosmic truth of his own personality and theirs which does this, but also the fact that an entire side is believing that the king is the sort of king who sits on a chair, eats feasts, and doesn't do anything particularly significant, while the princes are royal paragons of battle. Tramennis popped with different looks due to his personality (and possibly fate), and his unusual-for-a-prince appearance was reinforced by pushing him into a social role which would encourage the Jetstone populace to think of him in a different way than most princes. Of course, in all examples you have spoiling data in the form of the subjects' thoughts about themselves, so it's difficult to know exactly how much of their appearance is their own signamancy, how much is their fate's signamancy, and how much is the world pressing its signamancy upon them.

On a completely different topic, ships are popped much like siege engines in that they come into existence fully crewed. They include a full crew of seafarers, which can potentially include a seafaring warlord captain and multiple naval officers (specific term for this may change). The naval officer role is analogous to that of a knight in most ways, in that it's self-leading and improved infantry and all that, but while a knight has stronger personal combat statistics an officer grants an improved combat bonus to any ship when it's fighting as part of the crew rather than getting any kind of personal combat boost.

I forgot to ask once again about created units' upkeep. Blast. I should keep a running list of questions to reference next time I have such a chance.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:46 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    That's really cool. I would never have guessed it working that way, either! Still, a very interesting alternative to Side-wide popping lists. :)

Does that mean that a Signamancer has the capacity to change existing cities without needing to rebuild? Or am I interpreting the paragraph mentioning popping efficiency wrong?

It's also nice to know how ships are poppd.

Thank you for the information, Exate. :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Th Revanchist wrote:
    That's really cool. I would never have guessed it working that way, either! Still, a very interesting alternative to Side-wide popping lists. :)

Does that mean that a Signamancer has the capacity to change existing cities without needing to rebuild? Or am I interpreting the paragraph mentioning popping efficiency wrong?

It's also nice to know how ships are poppd.

Thank you for the information, Exate. :)
    We didn't significantly discuss the uses of casters as far as messing with these mechanics. Casters are a huge part of Erfworld narratively, but in my experience bringing their abilities into discussions of fundamental mechanics tends to derail things massively and I was short on time; better to get a sense of how things work in the absence of someone mucking with them.

My guess would be that a signamancer could change city pop data, but I doubt it would be easy. A lot of the natural magic mechanics in Erfworld work on a much larger scale than casters seem normally able to effect. On the other hand, turnamancers can massively accelerate popping rates and that feels like a large-scale mechanic, so who knows? Maybe the reason that Jillian said sides with signamancers have the best-looking capitals is because they optimize the signamancy as their method for changing the city's unit types, pop rates, and/or initial unit strengths. That said, signamancy deals with life/matter-as-representation-of-reality; actually messing with the Numbers that underlie the reality which signamancy reveals might be more of a date-a-mancy thing. I'm not sure and that's getting pretty speculative.

Speaking of initial unit strengths: After reading 0beron's comment here, I both wonder if we met at GenCon but somehow didn't introduce ourselves and think that a couple of Rob's comments now make more sense in context- I suspect that in addition to the efficiency losses in pop time, the resulting units from a city popping against its defaults might also be weaker than those popping with its defaults, as a general rule. He'd said something about the ships from the landlocked desert-city example being terrible, which I'd brushed off, but if units of identical type actually pop at different strengths in different cities as well as having different pop times.

We did briefly discuss how Charlie may have haxxed his way into getting super-archons by first finding a city site with favorable characteristics for popping them, having a suitable personality to pop them as a normal unit (personal speculation, could thinkamancy/carnymancy allow editing one's personality or "faking the system" to fool it into thinking one's personality was different for purposes of determining units? I should have asked), and then pouring his all into making a city pop while not caring about any unit that it could make except for archons, sort of biasing its slot selection in that direction and possibly paying some kind of cost in terms of its other characteristics to make up for his crazy archon pop rate. That was a bit of a diversion, though.

Something which my previous statements might not have made clear- since new cities are so heavily based on a ruler's personality, if a ruler changes their personality, usually due to life experience over hundreds of turns, their cities' default pop choices and efficiency levels might change as well.

Anyway, my pleasure to share. If you didn't read my similar stuff from last year, it's just one page back, here.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:08 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Exate wrote:
    Tested several Erfworld card games, notably including Dittomancer's Duel by 0beron which we were actually able to wrangle into something fun to play after drastically mutilating its mechanics; all others I played were scrapped as unfun or mechanically unsound.
    Really? I was there on Saturday and heard that my other game, Zero's Calling, was very well received whereas Dittomancer's Duel didn't get played. I'll try not to be too insulted by your assessment of the latter -_-

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 pm 
    0beron wrote:
    Exate wrote:
    Tested several Erfworld card games, notably including Dittomancer's Duel by 0beron which we were actually able to wrangle into something fun to play after drastically mutilating its mechanics; all others I played were scrapped as unfun or mechanically unsound.
    Really? I was there on Saturday and heard that my other game, Zero's Calling, was very well received whereas Dittomancer's Duel didn't get played. I'll try not to be too insulted by your assessment of the latter -_-
    I'd hope you're not insulted at all; my comment wasn't meant to be derogatory. Most of the games submitted were simply mechanically unsound or just plain unentertaining; the fact that yours could be salvaged and made actually fun- which was agreed upon by all four players of the final game after a couple revisions (by the way, it's multiplayer now) including Rob himself- is if anything high praise. No one really expected the games to be perfect or even that workable as-written, which was rather the point of the playtesting event.

I know that Zero's Calling was played, but I wasn't a part of that group. There were several games ongoing at once and it was difficult to track everything which was ongoing, so I'm not surprised someone might have had incomplete information as to what was tested.

Sorry to have missed you on Saturday! I tried to introduce myself to people and find out if they were forumgoers, but I only made it to around half the room. A damn shame, because it would have been nice to meet and chat mechanics with you.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:52 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Exate wrote:
    a couple revisions (by the way, it's multiplayer now)
    ooooh, this gives me a hint at what went wrong then....I must have worded it poorly when I posted it because it was never meant to be a solitary game haha. No wonder it was boring at first!
    Exate wrote:
    Sorry to have missed you on Saturday! I tried to introduce myself to people and find out if they were forumgoers, but I only made it to around half the room. A damn shame, because it would have been nice to meet and chat mechanics with you.
    Likewise, I was pretty bad about find out who people were as well. I think I only said my forum name to Taikei and Rob himself actually. Oh well, there's always next year. I live in Chicago now, which makes it easy for me to attend Gencon. I went just for the saturday gathering and then came immediately back home.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:43 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Hello again, Exate :) I missed you! 0beron, you want to try reviving that old game with Exate? I could manage two players...
    -----------
    My increasing dismay and jealousy about how much fun Gencon was for you two aside (u~u), this is all pretty useful and fascinating data :D A list of available units to pick from would likely be helpful, but we should also take into account that unit creation was in fact a fun part of any game. Just because we haven't seen, say, phoenixes in the comic, doesn't mean that somewhere, a side has a phoenix analogue as one of their units. This would mean that in theory and side could also produce any unit any other side had, too.

But this brings up an interesting point - Jillian is not in the least like her father, so why is she popping the same units now?

This either means A) She forced the gwiffs into the city, which means she's got inefficiency going on, or more likely B) Banhammer inherited the side from a previous ruler. It would make a certain amount of sense, really. King Banhammer was less likely to have popped in some secluded area and immediately gained exactly the casters he needed to maintain his very unorthodox lifestyle. Further, such a lifestyle is more likely to spring from war-weariness than just exist from the turn they pop.

So perhaps these cities were already built and went into hiding after his ruler died, and he simply left them as is while focusing on his philosophy instead.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    One other possibility is that since Signamancy is as much about outside perception as personal perception, and Jillian was the public face of FAQ even when Banhammer was the ruler, Jillian's personality may have had a heavy impact on the site's production even when she was just Chief Warlord.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Godzfirefly wrote:
    One other possibility is that since Signamancy is as much about outside perception as personal perception, and Jillian was the public face of FAQ even when Banhammer was the ruler, Jillian's personality may have had a heavy impact on the site's production even when she was just Chief Warlord.

The issue with that explanation is twofold - Jillian was popped into a side that already popping Gwiffins, which were sort of how she got around to display that public face, and also that city production does not change in a city. It has to be razed to the ground and rebuilt in order for production options to alter.

Unless you are suggesting some sort of time warp where Jillian creates the tone of her side before she was popped and that Banhammer regularly razes his cities and rebuilds them to change production...?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 pm 
    Perhaps they were gered toward fearsome and brutal units, such as those in the employ of Stanley? A pacifist like Banhammer probably wouldn't want offensively oriented units... :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 pm 
    Well the Ruler is only a hypothetical 1/3 of the equation. The site and the architecture both factor in as well, so a different Ruler rebuilding on the site isn't necessarily going to cause a drastic alteration, because the site is unchanged and though Jillian geared her city very differently from a stats perspective, the aesthetic of her side is still very traditional.

Also, there's the glaring possibility that Jillian is far more like her father than she cares to admit. Stubborn to a fault, highly analytical, and very intimidating when they wish to be. They have applied these skills/traits in drastically different ways, but the core personality is a lot a like IMO.

Finally, Gwiffons and Megalos remind me of Banhammer. Fat and a bit unwieldy, but also carrying themselves with a sort of grace and inspiring awe. So I think that if Banhammer did indeed found FAQ at that location, they're a unit that suits him. Then Jillian grew up with them, and has a deep emotional attachment to them, so her heart's desire would be to see them return with her refounding.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:57 pm 
    Somewhat tempted to write up a proper story for this game and post it here...

Granted, this assumes none of you want to try resuming :V

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:09 pm 
    I'd like to resume it, or failing that see exactly what everyone else was up to, but I don't know how much time I'll have in the near future. Sometime this week I should know what my schedule will look like for the next month or so, and I'll be able to make a choice then.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:47 am 
    I don't have the time/mental energy to devote to it anymore. Other things have filled up my plate in the interim.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm 
    0beron wrote:
    I don't have the time/mental energy to devote to it anymore. Other things have filled up my plate in the interim.

Well, that's the nail in the coffin then! I guess we'll have to just close the game officially, then.

I'm thinking of making it into a proper story, but I'm also considering a serious rule revision and possibly a small (2 people only) test game, to establish mechanic efficiency. You know, what with all the new info we have on things...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:28 am 
    It is terrible, unspeakable necromancy for me to post here when the thread has officially died and been slowly sinking into the archives for nearly two years... but I haven't been posting anything on the forum in that amount of time, and a bit of checking on the more recent pages didn't turn up anything that looked like an active Erfgame-or-similar.

I return because it's been another GenCon, and I took notes again. Since anyone reading this forum can be assumed to be a huge Erfworld mechanics nerd, I thought you all would want to know the latest news. Fair warning: This rambles a bit, and everything written here is filtered by both my own understanding of what was said and also by my ability to effectively express that understanding, and of course, as ever nothing is true canon unless it's in the comic.

My opening question for this year was "what does a Findamancer actually do?" The simple and trivial "finds things" answer has never really sat well with me, particularly with the sense that Lookamancy sort of fits into the same niche. Fortunately, there were answers to be had on this.
    You may recall that a couple years ago, I posted about how Signamancy is the discipline which is used for discerning historical information, and is useful for tracking and such because in spite of things reverting or repairing on a turn-by-turn basis, a hex "remembers" events that have taken place there. Each hex, effectively, maintains a historical database on itself. This Erfworld-as-computer paradigm is ultimately an analogy, but a useful one because Erfworld does in fact have Numbers underpinning its existence, so you can think of hexes, units, cities, and whatever all as objects in the programming sense, masses of data- their Numbers- which interact with one another in specified ways- Erfworld mechanics.

Using this paradigm, Findamancy can be conceptualized with a fair bit of accuracy as the ability to query the Erfworld database for already-existing information and getting it in a format relating to the user of the discipline. At the most base level this is a query which returns a distance; "where is the nearest enemy heavy" returns "8 hexes away" or similar. Increasing mastery of Findamancy (and increasing expenditure of juice) gives direction and allows for the use of more complex queries from the user.

What Findamancy does NOT do is anything other than retrieve existing numbers. Pure Findamancy cannot, for example, say "find a ruler who would be willing to ally with me", because it can't model the interactions between units which may or may not result in an alliance (the example required would need date-a-mancy). It could find a ruler, or a ruler of a specific side, but it can't predict what that ruler will do. The farther you move outside the realm of hard observable facts, the more difficult a time Findamancy has. It may not be able to reference things based upon intangibles at all, even those whose existence is certain; that discussion was left incomplete. Nor can it reference the past, or potential futures; only the present is within its scope. Mixing it with other disciplines can drastically change this; thinkamancy in Parson's summoning spell allowed for the Findamancy to locate someone based upon psychological criteria, for example. Presumably date-a-mancy could allow queries which account for modeling expected interpersonal interactions and signamancy could allow queries of past events.

The three disciplines of Hocus Pocus fit together in a highly synergistic way as different aspects of informational magic; Findamancy is essentially the database tables of Erfworld-as-it-is, Mathamancy does not gather data but rather is used to generate output tables of some specific operations using already-acquired data, usually presented as probability statistics, and Predictamancy alerts the user to special rules and cases which modify which of those probabilities are valid. Taken individually, any of these disciplines have significant holes in their ability to achieve what a caster might want, but when combined they make for truly staggering data processing ability by covering each others' informational gaps and leapfrogging off each others' information to produce more impressive results.

Summoning does fall under Findamancy, which initially seems unrelated to information retrieval, but object retrieval is in many ways a physical application of the same principle- except that instead of returning numbers in response to the findamancer's juice-fueled database query, Erfworld returns the object itself to them. The amount of juice required is directly proportional to distance, because movement in Erfworld is "paid for" by Move as units change location, and the Findamancer is essentially substituting for this Move by paying juice instead. Note that this operation cannot be reversed- Findamancers cannot do outgoing teleportation, only incoming, because Findamancy is always rooted in the self- the user is the locational anchor of their spell. Hat Magicians can do outgoing, as we've seen in the comic, but they need an anchor (hat) at each end to make that work and it's functioning on entirely different principles.

Because of these applications and limitations, Findamancers are generally considered most useful when taken into the field, since triangulation and being close to any teleportation objectives means lower juice costs. A findamancer could have easily found Faq, veil or no veil, assuming that they asked the right questions.

Neutral cities go into stasis when their side falls, but the city will retain its command structure as a pseudo-side. That is, even though the units in there are barbarians, they still consider themselves allied to the other barbarians in-city and commanders can issue lasting orders, control troops they're not stacked with, and so forth. They are in stasis at any point during which the city is not contested, but the city being contested only requires an enemy presence in any city zone.

This means that there is an arguable "unlimited lifespan at no upkeep" exploit where a city of neutrals has a friendly warlord walk in every day, stay in the city without actually taking it so that it's "contested", then leave before nightfall. No upkeep is ever paid and the city-dwellers can continue to experience sapient awareness for as long as the warlord keeps showing up, though they'll never sleep, recover Move (which is set to 0 when they go neutral), or recover juice. Rob commented that this can certainly happen but is obviously limited by the existence of a friendly side maintaining the system, and they of course are paying the upkeep on the commander unit doing so.

On upkeep, the question of how, if only part of upkeep can be covered by rations, feral units can still feed themselves came up. The answer is that any non-commander unit can have the entirety of their upkeep covered by rations. It's only commander units that have an upkeep floor requiring the use of shmuckers instead of rations, generally 50% of their base upkeep. Any unit with a purse needs the purse to stay alive; any unit without a purse does not need a purse to stay alive. This means that a feral stabber or similar could conceivably live forever as a pure hunter-gatherer, but a feral warlord could not; he would need shmuckers.

To get them, there were a number of speculated options that Rob brought up or confirmed as likely-real-but-not-canon-until-declared-so. A barbarian warlord might pop with some in his purse (but those won't last), he could mine or otherwise acquire gems, he could get transferred them by someone else, or he could kill units. Units popped by sides with equipment can have their equipment "cashed in" for shmuckers by barbarian units which defeat them and claim it as trophies rather than use it as equipment for themselves, which allows barbarians to keep themselves alive as long as they keep raiding. Barbarians could also claim each others' purses outright if they should kill each other.

The foraging skill, which any unit can do, includes the set of actions needed to maintain the ability to forage. This means that the previously mentioned feral stabber (and yes, feral stabbers actually pop, this was confirmed) could repair or recreate a crude spear if his broke, or fashion hides into clothing, or similar; from Erfworld's perspective all of that is rolled into the "foraging check" the unit makes, along with the acquisition of food. The stabber could spend a day making a spear instead of hunting from his own perspective, but to Erfworld-the-system they're not distinct actions as long as they're ultimately both done in pursuit of ration acquisition.

Cities must always be popping; they can't choose not to pop. They can, however, constantly change production allocation so that they never actually pop anything, wasting their pop-time on units which are promptly cancelled. The economical thing to do if for some reason no more units are desired, though, is generally to pop a harvestable unit, though, because the one turn of upkeep they cost their side is inevitably a fair bit less than the money gained from the rations via harvesting.

Erfworld's size is undefined (Rob doesn't want to pin that down), but as a practical matter from an in-world perspective its effective size is very small. Travel is difficult because move is limited, and there's generally nothing practical that sides which are far apart can do for one another- if they don't border your neighbors, or at least border your neighbors' neighbors, then they might as well not exist at all. Move is limited for sides that don't have a lot of fliers, and sending units off exploring is a burden to the side doing it since there's no immediate practical benefit and their upkeep must still be paid. Aside from that, Erfworld is full of sides who want to keep their own territory as well scouted as is practical (though how practical scouting is varies extremely widely) and who will notice the existence of others coming into their battlespace by changes in the turn order, and they may default to hostility. Securing safe passage agreements through multiple sides is difficult at best. The Magic Kingdom is an exception to this but casters aren't generally diplomats.

Charlie is able to range so far afield because not only do archons have high Move and fly over most terrain, they also can veil themselves, which keeps them safe in enemy territory since many methods of detection aren't going to be looking closely enough to blow the veil- Transylvitan bats will only have a chance to do so if a warlord is looking through them directly, Lookamancers will only do so if they closely examine a single hex instead of doing wide-area scanning, and so forth.

Units can be ordered to turn, but not freely. A unit of the side they're turning to must be present and active; the turn mechanic is fundamentally an offer of patronage from the side gaining a unit to the unit which is turning, a statement that they'll take responsibility for them (and their upkeep). This means that units can't be ordered to simply go barbarian- there would have to be a "seed" barbarian present and offering them the barbarian lifestyle in order for it to happen. If that criteria was met units could be spun off into barbarians freely, though, which could have uses in deniable operations or in having numerous units live past the fall of their native side (though see previous information about commander upkeep, so this has limitations).

That's all I've got. Hope anyone reading this enjoyed!

Edit: Corrected several errors in spelling and grammar. After rereading this I remember that several other topics were covered, things like the nature of intangible "stats" or how a ruler can get "expected upkeep" and "last turn's upkeep paid" for a specific unit when paying attention to that through natural magic but lacks efficient spreadsheet-like income/expenses for the entire side, and some other things, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 pm 
    Thanks for the info from your meetings at GenCon. Makes me wish I went to conventions.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:09 pm 
    Thread croakamancy or no, the information is very appreciated!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Your Games