Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Website Things » Suggestions/Requests

Post subject: Skip Days
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 am 
This user is a Tool!
I understand that Rob said he wouldn't be announcing skip days, but that attitude is extremely unfair to the readers. I don't know how many times I've checked to see if there was an update today, but it's been more than 10, I'm sure. If he'd posted a simple message at any point during the day, saying nothing more than, "Today is a skip day," I would have been perfectly satisfied and would have stopped wasting my time checking. As it is, I'm a bit ticked off. "Unscheduled" doesn't have to mean "unrecognized."

To clarify, I don't object to the "skip days" themselves, but to the attitude that he's too busy or whatever to make a simple post to acknowledge them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Skip Days
     Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am 
    I think that part of the issue is a desire for people to subscibe to the RSS feed rather than just refresh the page a whole bunch.

I think that Rob also desires to have the flexibility of releasing a page if it's ready or holding it if it needs more adjustments than are feasible at the last minute. Since it might not always be possible to make that determination before the actual last minute, there's not a massive utility to putting up a last minute post saying "we couldn't fit our desired adjustments into the last minute" over just letting site users look at their clock and say, "well, the last minute is past."

If you're hitting the site refresh enough to be bothersome, then setting up an RSS feed might be worth doing. For most browsers it should be as simple as hitting the RSS link at the bottom of the homepage. Some browsers might need an RSS plugin or something?

You can also check the Erfworld Twitter (someone tell me if that's wrong).

I get that it may be annoying, but imagine that Rob is working with the creative team to make adjustments to a very crucial page. Should Rob keep checking the time to see if he needs to post (one minute before the clock will tell us) that there's no update today, or should he focus on getting the page ready? If the page is done before the clock runs out, they can upload it and there's no need to tell us there won't be a page because presto, there's a page. If the page is not done but we already checked a dozen times, what good does a post about there being no page do when we'd know that in another minute without a post?

It may seem like "it wouldn't take Rob but a minute to post that there's not going to be a page", but interrupting a creative collaboration like that can be detrimental, and scientific studies on the effects of constant digital interruptions are starting to bear that out. It only takes a minute to make such a post, but you risk losing the 10 minutes of creative processing before the interruption and it can take some time to get back into the work-flow.

Or so I say, my brain may not work this way, but that doesn't imply anything at all about how human brains typically function.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:19 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    I decided to interpret this policy as "updates once a week, sometimes with extras". That way I'm not tempted to care very much.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Sorry to grave-dig the thread, but yeah, I would really like to at least see something on a skip day so I know it's one. Anything would do, from some neat image that Rob just reposts every time there's a skip day to even just a text post like "Skip day, see you next update" - it could even just be copied, pasted, and reposted, takes less than a minute. I know Rob is very busy (busier than I've ever been in my life, that's for sure), but even just that small thing would be appreciated. I love the comic so much, and look forward to it every single update, and I completely get why the skip days are needed; just a small something so I know to give up fir the day and hope for next time would be nice, is all.

Thanks for everything you do for us Rob, and I hope everything keeps going well for you guys!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Website Things » Suggestions/Requests