Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 am 
Sinrus wrote:
If you know anything about Greek mythology then no, they are totally different.

Actually, the Titans (Theoi Titantes) of Greek Mythology were, in fact, gods. The Olympians (Theoi Olympios, what are more commonly referred to as the Greek Gods in modern society) and the Theoi Khthonioi (underworld gods, like Hades, Charon, Thanatos, etc) were the children of the Titans: the Titans were the progenitors of the Olympians. Both, however, were considered Theoi (gods). They represented great cosmic forces, and were themselves the offspring of Ouranos and Gaia (two of the Protogenoi, a yet earlier generation of gods).

Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hestia, Demeter and Hades were the children of the titan Kronos and his wife Rhea (one of the Titanides). The remaining Olympians were, in turn, the children of those gods (mainly fathered by Zeus). Aphrodite is, alternately, either the daughter of Zeus and Dionne or was spawned from sea foam when Kronos' testicles fell into the ocean.

Last edited by DoctorJest on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 am 
    Ytaker wrote:
    throwingrocks wrote:
    And, incidentally, the Titans were gods. Elder gods. Which the younger gods replaced. They're probably just called that because they look more like big, titanic beings than gods.

It's the other way around: we call big things "titanic" because of the perception of the titans as being big, like we call things "elephantine" in the same way, because elephants are big. But the actual name "Titanes" is part of "Theoi Titanes" which means "Straining Gods". It was, according to Hesiod in Theogony, the name Ouranos gave to his sons after they castrated him and threw his testicles into the sea.

They are also known as the Theoi Ouranidai, which means the gods who are offspring of Ouranos.

The word "Theoi" means "Gods" so the Titans were, in fact, called gods. It's just popular usage in modern English that differentiates between "Titan" and "God". There is, in fact, no such distinction.

The blood of Kronos which fell to the earth from that wound spawned a race of beings called the Gigantes, which is where we get the worlds "Gigantic" and "Giant" from, as well.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Alexei P wrote:
    BTW, I really admire how Rob managed to change Sylvia from a vague, undefined character, to one of the deepest (IMO) in a single stroke.

Let's not go over-board, it's just poetry. Meaning it's whatever you want it to be.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Quote:
    As a scarlet seashell.
    They had to call and call
    And misname me to breathing again.

This is interesting. It sounds like Rob originally intended her to be down and out, which goes with whole star Jek Tono Porkins schtick. But because we made such a big deal over her, that he wanted us to at least get her name right. But he didn't want to name her out of story by Word Of God, and he didn't see a productive reason to do a flashback to give her name, so he just brought her back, even though she was supposed to be to scattered to revive originally. So I see this, not as some kind of proof that she will become a major character and live a long time, rather, I see it that Rob's reason for bringing her back has now been satisfied, so he can kill her off again permanently knowing that her legendary status will at least attribute the correct name this time.

Since her new name is a reference to her resurrection, Lady Sylvia probably originally had a different name in Rob's mind, or he never bothered to name her at all, since she was supposed to be a background character anyway. Very cool though, I don't see this as him bringing her back to appease us, so her death seems imminent to me, maybe even this next battle, but to appease his sense that if a character is so popular, she should at least be referered by the correct name. :)

Unbreakable. Does not receive leadership penalties, Loyalty, or morale hits due to delays, imperfections, vacations, breaks, filler days, or retcons. All such debuffs, if somehow applied, are reduced to 0. - ShaneTheBrain

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 am 
    Infidel, that's more or less my interpretation of the matter. Almost enough to want to change my avatar in expectation ...

Wait a min.

*goes of GIMPing*

And done. Lettering's a b

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:53 am 
    If she dies we then replace her with the unnamed dark haired girl "sable".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm 
    Shoki wrote:

Link? Who is this "Sable"?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 pm 
    Infidel: I think you need to change your sig.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm 
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    Let's not go over-board, it's just poetry. Meaning it's whatever you want it to be.

"Being whatever you want them to be" is the mark of a deep character. The very act of comparing her to Sylvia Plath allows the character to evolve significantly.

Have you noticed how really memorable stories often reach into poetry territory?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:19 pm 
    theseus2x wrote:
    Shoki wrote:

Link? Who is this "Sable"?

Eh i think she was a inf/warlord crying over the loss of oss on page 12 if i recall.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Alexei P wrote:
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:

"Being whatever you want them to be" is the mark of a deep character. The very act of comparing her to Sylvia Plath allows the character to evolve significantly.

Have you noticed how really memorable stories often reach into poetry territory?

'Being whatever you want them to be' is the mark of a deep character'? Wha?

Scarlet's claim to fame was that she had red hair. Scarlet has a history as being a 'blank character' that many have made into 'whatever you want them to be'.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
    OneHugeTuck wrote:

Yes. Deep characters allow for multiple roles and interpretations. Take Parson. Depending on whom you ask, he might be seen as a brilliant general, a slacker who shirks responsibility, a goofball, a hero or a great evil. Likewise, Sylvia just passed from an unnamed character to a complex individual whose story role and personality can be analyzed and debated on multiple levels. Which is why I found today's update so remarkable.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:50 pm 
    OneHugeTuck wrote:

Scarlet's claim to fame was that she had red hair. Scarlet has a history as being a 'blank character' that many have made into 'whatever you want them to be'.

You are mostly correct, OneHugeTuck, though probably her claim to fame is the image chopped into my avatar now (Book 1, page 137).

Which is why when I list my favourite Erfworld characters, Scarlet is not among them. Rather, she gets mentioned as "my favourite nine-pixel-square blob" or some-such.

Thing is, I and a few others, for some reasons, think this blob of pixels shows great promise for character development. It does not appear- it never did- that this will be the direction taken however. Having her not die nameless is the compromise.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and we'll see her finally rule this flippin' comic!

Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:52 pm 
    Alexei P wrote:
    Yes. Deep characters allow for multiple roles and interpretations.

I guess.

But there's two ways to define something/somebody, both of them equally important, and one of them is about what that something/somebody ISN'T.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 pm 
    DoctorJest wrote:
    Sinrus wrote:
    If you know anything about Greek mythology then no, they are totally different.

Actually, the Titans (Theoi Titantes) of Greek Mythology were, in fact, gods. The Olympians (Theoi Olympios, what are more commonly referred to as the Greek Gods in modern society) and the Theoi Khthonioi (underworld gods, like Hades, Charon, Thanatos, etc) were the children of the Titans: the Titans were the progenitors of the Olympians. Both, however, were considered Theoi (gods). They represented great cosmic forces, and were themselves the offspring of Ouranos and Gaia (two of the Protogenoi, a yet earlier generation of gods).

The cyclopes were also children of the Ouranous and Gaia. Are they gods too, in your mind?

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm 
    The difference between the titans and the gods was purely generational, just because my dad was born during disco doesn't mean he is a different species.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 pm 
    Yes, but we're talking about Greek mythology. Generational is pretty huge. I mean seriously, Pegasus was born from Medusa's dead body.

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Sinrus wrote:
    Yes, but we're talking about Greek mythology. Generational is pretty huge. I mean seriously, Pegasus was born from Medusa's dead body.

θείον = god = divine = 'any supernatural being' (I think). Although in English you might reasonably restrict the term 'god' to those beings who were petitioned for intercession.

Translation of divine concepts into our Judeo-Christian culture is a tricky thing - where we are used to GOD as the prime mover.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 pm 
    Seerow wrote:
    Seriously I lurk a lot and very rarely post, but I just have to say one thing about this update:

Fan Service

:shock: Stop the presses!!!

Did you figure that out all by yourself or did you get assistance?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:24 pm 
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    Seerow wrote:
    Seriously I lurk a lot and very rarely post, but I just have to say one thing about this update:

Fan Service

:shock: Stop the presses!!!

Did you figure that out all by yourself or did you get assistance?

Maybe we can give the lurkers a break when they're brave enough to let the sun shine on their faces for a few moments?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions