Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 pm 
User avatar
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
Offline
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 37
fractal wrote:
You're suggesting a context in which Jillian would choose not to fight? Have you been reading about the same Jillian that I have? Now, she might be happy enough with losing and getting decrypted, but I can't really picture her not fighting in the first place.


Yes, I have. ;) That's why it's just a fantasy. Although you've added a new element: a fight 'for show' before she submits. mmmmm. :twisted:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:14 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 9:03 am
    Posts: 336
    AngryAngel wrote:
    fractal wrote:
    You're suggesting a context in which Jillian would choose not to fight? Have you been reading about the same Jillian that I have? Now, she might be happy enough with losing and getting decrypted, but I can't really picture her not fighting in the first place.


    Yes, I have. ;) That's why it's just a fantasy. Although you've added a new element: a fight 'for show' before she submits. mmmmm. :twisted:

    I can see this happening, even subconsciously. Her doing her usual completely reckless leaping from flying mount to flying mount to kill enemies, but choosing second grade targets to simultaneously avoid hurting Ansom/Wanda and provoke her own secret death wish.

    Morbid. I like it.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:30 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:44 am
    Posts: 55
    Menas wrote:
    The point I was making was that no-one yet in the storyline has seen through a veil PRIOR to it being used for the purpose it was designed for.

    - Parson used a veil on the twoll to trick Ansom. Worked. Didn't go away until the twoll attacked.
    - Jack used a veil to make dwagons and archons look like siege and infantry. Worked. Didn't go away until Ansom told him to drop the veil.
    - Jack used displacement to make units appear to be somewhere they weren't. Worked. Jetstone didn't know the units weren't real until they discovered they weren't taking any damage. And until Jack got hurt and they went away, but it was a moot point by then as they already knew the displaced units were fake.

    In each of these cases, the veil didn't go away until the person using it attacked (which means it served its purpose), or intentionally dropped it. In none of these cases did anyone recognize that a veil was present prior to the attacker having the drop on them.

    So again, there's no reason to believe Charlie's units couldn't be there and veiled without being discovered.


    You forgot:
    - Jack used a veil to hide Stanley and a Dwagon, as well as himself. Was seen through, only barely managed to escape even with a massive distraction giving them a huge lead.

    Also, the archons saw right through Bogroll's veil, they just didn't tell anyone because of an overriding strategic imperative.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 pm 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:54 am
    Posts: 367
    Kaveman26 wrote:
    *cough*

    There are no goblins in GK...

    Charlie is most likely responsible for this...

    Charlie has significant forces in the battlespace. Not Archons...forces

    There are some veiled Archons working with Jillian but I think the reason that we arent seeing Charlies forces is because they are underground. Methinks we are about to find out where the goblins went and how Charlie turned them.


    I like how you think. Dunno how effective gobwins will be against a force of fliers, but it's still an awesome idea.

    _________________
    No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:59 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:40 am
    Posts: 376
    Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:14 am 
    User avatar
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm
    Posts: 498
    fjolnir wrote:
    Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...


    Oh... A "scone" is a biscuit or other pastry item that is often eaten in England with tea. One often dunks the scones in the tea. Dunkin' scone... like dunkin' donuts.

    _________________
    "Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

    I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

    Avatar hoarked from PS238.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:03 am 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm
    Posts: 1249
    The people at the local bakery told me that scones are supposed to be made to mimic the top crusty part of a muffin without the soft underbelly.

    _________________
    Unbreakable. Does not receive leadership penalties, Loyalty, or morale hits due to delays, imperfections, vacations, breaks, filler days, or retcons. All such debuffs, if somehow applied, are reduced to 0. - ShaneTheBrain

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:06 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:00 pm
    Posts: 824
    hahaha I can buy those nearby, they're called 'muffin tops.' But it would be awesome if erfworld had a Dune based side.

    _________________
    Hey! Click on my self-advertisemnt!
    And this one, too!

    <INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm
    Posts: 174
    Now you're going to get on the whole British English vs. American English on what the words "scone", "biscuit" and "cookie" mean.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:00 pm
    Posts: 824
    don't forget chip

    _________________
    Hey! Click on my self-advertisemnt!
    And this one, too!

    <INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 am 
    User avatar
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am
    Posts: 3447
    AngryAngel wrote:
    I'm not getting how the forthcoming battle is going to be a slam-dunk victory for the RCC2. We know GK has been all but unstoppable up 'til now. We know Jetstone is preparing to defend their capital. We know Faq is there to help. We know Charlescomm is assisting Faq. We know Janis hinted to Sizemore that the coming battle was important, and concerned Parson. And that is all we know.


    You are correct about what we know, but that never stops us from intuiting, hoping, expecting or fearing beyond the immediately obvious. And in these few updates, it's been the case that GK is facing a Jetstone with an ever-increasing roster of reinforcements. I for one would be disappoint.

    Spot wrote:
    I think I understand Chalie.(...)


    Spot, that was a good story. But notice how you gave us all the tactical details. If you had not done this, and just recounted how noobs feared invisible tanks, it would have read much like an empty boast. Also notice how in your case it was about you and artillery skills, not about how you managed to convince other little helpers to come do the job with you. So good story, but not applicable here.

    _________________
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:09 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm
    Posts: 210
    Dr Pepper wrote:
    Yeah. When she was a mercenery, she could indulge in S&M games. But now as a leader, i don't think duty would permit her to deliberately do something detrimental to the side she leads.


    Actually there is a hint she already has done so after she became Queen. Otherwise how would Jillian know that Vanna "didn't play it right".

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm
    Posts: 8
    Still not loving the new Jillian artwork. I find it too generic and manga, without enough distinctive character in the face. I can only tell Jillian and Wanda apart by their hairstyles.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:16 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user posted the comment of the month
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:42 am
    Posts: 57
    Perhaps you should invest in a new pair of glasses?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 am 
    User avatar
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am
    Posts: 3447
    gameboy1234 wrote:
    HandofShadows wrote:
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    You're wrong about Part 2, it would not be blank pages. Rather, several very fan-servicey images of Wanda in various outfits doing things with/to the Jetstone family and Jillian.


    And that would increse traffic here by 2000%. :mrgreen:



    I agree with your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.


    Alas, I have no newsletter, but let's see what I can whip up ... humm, sorry ... on such short notice. Keeping things firmly tongue in cheek ...

    *five hours later*

    And voila, but be warned, inferior grasp of anatomy ahead.

    Spoiler: show
    Image

    _________________
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:35 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:49 pm
    Posts: 234
    (name here) wrote:
    Menas wrote:
    The point I was making was that no-one yet in the storyline has seen through a veil PRIOR to it being used for the purpose it was designed for.

    - Parson used a veil on the twoll to trick Ansom. Worked. Didn't go away until the twoll attacked.
    - Jack used a veil to make dwagons and archons look like siege and infantry. Worked. Didn't go away until Ansom told him to drop the veil.
    - Jack used displacement to make units appear to be somewhere they weren't. Worked. Jetstone didn't know the units weren't real until they discovered they weren't taking any damage. And until Jack got hurt and they went away, but it was a moot point by then as they already knew the displaced units were fake.

    In each of these cases, the veil didn't go away until the person using it attacked (which means it served its purpose), or intentionally dropped it. In none of these cases did anyone recognize that a veil was present prior to the attacker having the drop on them.

    So again, there's no reason to believe Charlie's units couldn't be there and veiled without being discovered.


    You forgot:
    - Jack used a veil to hide Stanley and a Dwagon, as well as himself. Was seen through, only barely managed to escape even with a massive distraction giving them a huge lead.

    Also, the archons saw right through Bogroll's veil, they just didn't tell anyone because of an overriding strategic imperative.


    Good points (and I admit I'd forgotten about those). These two cases are still different from what's going on now though.

    - In the first case they were already looking for Stanley, knew he was trying to get away, knew exactly where he'd been when they lost track of him, and knew he had a foolamancer with him.

    That's different than the current scenario, because they don't have any intelligence on what Jillian and Charlie are doing and therefore have no reason to be looking for Charlie's units. They don't expect him to be there, so there's no reason to be specificially looking for him or his units. And even if they did know he was there, they wouldn't know where to begin to look, although they'd probably be able to guess at the unit type. Also, since Jillian is his partner and she's a member of the alliance, I'm expecting there's a number of ways they can use that relationship to avoid any general detection schemes for veiled units that Jetstone may be employing.

    And technically, the veil still 'worked' because it allowed Stanley to escape.

    - As for the second case, there are still two differences. The first is that Jetstone doesn't have any Archons =) (although I'm guessing they have some units that can see through or detect veils). But secondly, in the case of Bogroll, Bogroll was a visible unit to begin with, i.e., the veil didn't completely hide him, it just altered his appearance. It may not be as easy to detect a veil on a unit that is completely hidden to begin with (invisible).

    And technically, the veil still 'worked' because Bogroll was able to take out Ansom, even though the Archons had seen through the veil.


    Last edited by Menas on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:45 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:49 pm
    Posts: 234
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    Spot wrote:
    I think I understand Chalie.(...)


    Spot, that was a good story. But notice how you gave us all the tactical details. If you had not done this, and just recounted how noobs feared invisible tanks, it would have read much like an empty boast. Also notice how in your case it was about you and artillery skills, not about how you managed to convince other little helpers to come do the job with you. So good story, but not applicable here.


    I disagree that it's not applicable here. I think the point Spot is trying to make is that the author is going to fill in the blanks just like Spot did, but he's going to do it as part of the storyline and reveal it in his own good time. Spot was also making the point that whether or not the noobs he was facing had a valid explanation of what was going on, there still WAS a valid explanation, they just didn't understand what it was. Just because what was happening seemed in their perspective to be like a 'hack' or a 'Deus Ex-machina' didn't make it so.

    The argument of 'this couldn't possibly happen because I can't see how it could happen when I don't have all the information I need to understand the situation' doesn't carry much weight for me.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:29 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:44 pm
    Posts: 46
    gameboy1234 wrote:
    fjolnir wrote:
    Her cheif warlord duncan is Duncan Scone, a warlord captured from Jitterati, whose name, crest and colors are supposed to remind people of starbucks... if they do go with a duncan idaho angle from it I won't be surprised but still...


    Oh... A "scone" is a biscuit or other pastry item that is often eaten in England with tea. One often dunks the scones in the tea. Dunkin' scone... like dunkin' donuts.


    This is a good thing to do - until you are in Cornwall (or Devon) and have a 'cream tea' - a scone cut in half with each topped with butter, clotted cream and jam (ideally black-current, but each to their own i guess). These do not dunk ;)

    (easily).

    Also, there is much 'national' (read as cornwall vs devon) distinction between whether the jam should top the clotted cream or the clotted cream the jam. wars have been fought, well, squabbled over this.

    The point of this though, to bring it back to the comic, is that - taking his original appearance into account - if Zhopa gets promoted up from Garrison status (or Gobwin Knob re-invaded) he may end up being Cream Mr T'd by Duncan Scone...

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:56 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
    Posts: 439
    AngryAngel wrote:
    fractal wrote:
    You're suggesting a context in which Jillian would choose not to fight? Have you been reading about the same Jillian that I have? Now, she might be happy enough with losing and getting decrypted, but I can't really picture her not fighting in the first place.


    Yes, I have. ;) That's why it's just a fantasy. Although you've added a new element: a fight 'for show' before she submits. mmmmm. :twisted:


    From what I'm reading, this isn't the Jillian of the past. She's smarter than before, seeing the big picture, realizing that constantly charging into battle and getting captured just isn't going to cut it anymore. Part of that is Don King's influence, some of it is Charlie's, Some of it is simply the fact that she's embraced her Royal nature.

    Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

    No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:21 pm 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm
    Posts: 565
    Location: Northern Virginia
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    Alas, I have no newsletter, but let's see what I can whip up ... humm, sorry ...

    No, you're not. :D

    theseus2x wrote:
    Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

    No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

    I suspect that you're right, particularly given her confrontation with Wanda before the final big battle in Book 1. I expect some very wrenching moments of temptation, though....

    _________________
    Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], PlatointheCave and 16 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: