Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 94
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm 
E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Yeah, I agree, I don't think it's that big of a deal on its own.

Casters can cast outside their disciplines. Wanda is good at it, Sizemore is bad at it (but tries anyway). The Arkendish gives Charlie awesome thinkamancy, but it's not surprising that he can learn things about other disciplines as well.

I also wouldn't take anything that happens in Thinkspace too literally. Lilith is not actually a castle, there are not actual doors that wanda/maggie walked through, there were no actual units being croaked/converted/recrypted. It's all metaphorical/mental.

I'm looking forward to learning what Charlie actually learned from Lilith, but I don't really think we know yet.

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    6 minutes to update deadline.......come on baby.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    And...bummer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Damn. I guess Rob's out $878. He could have my share anyway, so long as I don't have to wait until Friday. :(

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 am 
    Xarx wrote:
    Damn. I guess Rob's out $878. He could have my share anyway, so long as I don't have to wait until Friday. :(

"The update schedule for Erfworld's main books is Mondays & Fridays. Comic pages and texts that will go in the main book count as "updates." An update is considered on-time if it is posted by 11:59 pm eastern time (Rob's time zone) on the day it is due. Whether an update counts as on time or not is at our sole discretion, but there shouldn't be any confusion. We will continue to aim to have the pages up just after midnight eastern, but any time within the 24 hours still counts. "

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:10 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Damn. I was hoping he had wiggle room built in for time zones.

I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run, comics that are made at the last minute aren't the best anyway, I hope he's not frantically racing to finish things in the hour or two before the deadline.

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Ruler of Erfworld
    Yahoo Messenger: bbwa1969
    AOL: bbwa1969
    Facebook: DJVladinator
    Google+: +ScottLockwoodIII
    Twitter: real_vladinator
    YouTube: bbwa1969
    Insert Fry here shouting "Take my money!"

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    ftl wrote:
    Damn. I was hoping he had wiggle room built in for time zones.

I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run, comics that are made at the last minute aren't the best anyway, I hope he's not frantically racing to finish things in the hour or two before the deadline.
    And he'd been doing so well. But I guess it's been getting tighter and tighter lately; something had to give. I wonder why he didn't at least post a note about it. Hope everything is okay.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I wonder how much cash they are out since January 1st from not posting updates (including Wednesday updates)? I feel that pain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:44 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    Archons are all knights, and have limited set of abilities. Vampires can be casters or warlords. Royal or not. We've seen nothing from vampires that sets them apart from regular men. Many of them fly, but we've seen that men can get the flight special. They all seem to have the life drain special, but Vinny implied that it was possible that Albert could have had it. They act, in every way, like regular human units. Archons do not.

The comic never says Vampire, we're using our understanding of their appearance to label them as such.

Transylvitans simply tend to have a particular look and are "men" that usually have the drain life, affinity for bats, and flight specials. There are examples (like Don not being able to fly) where individuals are missing those specials however.

There is nothing about them otherwise that folklore vampires have.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:50 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Soval wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    Archons are all knights, and have limited set of abilities. Vampires can be casters or warlords. Royal or not. We've seen nothing from vampires that sets them apart from regular men. Many of them fly, but we've seen that men can get the flight special. They all seem to have the life drain special, but Vinny implied that it was possible that Albert could have had it. They act, in every way, like regular human units. Archons do not.

The comic never says Vampire, we're using our understanding of their appearance to label them as such.

Transylvitans simply tend to have a particular look and are "men" that usually have the drain life, affinity for bats, and flight specials. There are examples (like Don not being able to fly) where individuals are missing those specials however.

There is nothing about them otherwise that folklore vampires have.

My point.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:51 am 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    OneHugeTuck wrote:
    And...bummer.

I could not believe my eyes when i woke up this morning. And that is over an above not being able to distinguish detail smaller than a pound coin when I wake up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:00 am 
    almondsandrain wrote:
    DunkelMentat wrote:
    I'm not saying he learned decryption. I'm saying he learned a central power of croakamancy. Not enough to do it in the real Erfworld but enough to use it in one context. What I'm getting at is what this suggests. It suggests that if he learns enough about a magic class he can use some of the spells. Remember: Charlie can do most thinkamancy but as he is not a thinkamancer he does not understand it like even an adept thinkamancer. But he still has the most awesome thinkamancy powers on Erf. How many other classes does he have some proficiency in? This is a big BIG deal.

I don't really see it as a big deal. He isn't the only caster that can cast disciplines outside of his class. Wanda can too. Hell, assuming that Hoboken is a shockamancy spell, most casters can cast outside their discipline from the turn they pop. I expected Charlie to be able to since he's a very old, high level, attuned, likely master-class Carnymancer. That isn't counting how he had an army of units that can cast from multiple disciplines. Even if the archons can't directly teach them their spells, he can probably learn how they work their disciplines by waiting in their heads while they sling spells.
    The ability to cast outside of your class isn't that rare. It's just that most casters don't study magic outside of their discipline, let alone their class.

I don't think what Charlie is doing is Croakamancy at all. I think he means he's using the same tactical trick of using enemy assets against them instead of letting it go to waste. In his mind, he recognizes that it's a wasted opportunity to simply bulldoze through Lillith's mind when he can make it work against her instead. It's a purely strategic epiphany on his part.

Wanda is using Decryption here because it's a familiar simile for something that she understands. You gotta remember that the Thinkspace here is mostly figurative. Lillith's fortress isn't a literal fortress after all.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    Point of clarification.

1) If Rob doesn't post by midnight EST, he's out the $878? Or can he post a day late and still claim the money?

2) If he can't claim the money, then doesn't that set up a financial incentive to not post late if he's missed a deadline? IOW, if he has a comic 90% finished at the Monday night deadline, but he doesn't finish and post in time, then the rational thing for him to do would be to post it on the following Friday as that Friday's comic. Posting it on Tuesday morning wouldn't make financial sense, because he'd be giving up the Monday comic for nothing, and then he'd still have to write a new one for Friday. Do I have that right?

No criticism, implied or otherwise, of Rob -- I'm just trying to understand how the system works so I can adjust my expectations accordingly.

Doug M.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Guess who went and got drunk? Dis guy!

Shame that Rob missed his deadline. I hope everything is okay... and, no, he can't claim the money. He's out $879.50 or however much it was at the time that he would have posted the comic.

Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:17 am 
    This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Hey, just think: At this rate we'll have another 16 pages of discussion and speculation before Friday's comic. Just think of all the inane theories we can come up with (at an exponential rate, even). :mrgreen:

Jacior wrote:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:43 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Dark Shadow wrote:
    Hey, just think: At this rate we'll have another 16 pages of discussion and speculation before Friday's comic. Just think of all the inane theories we can come up with (at an exponential rate, even). :mrgreen:

Only 16? We didn't even have a drunk Commander before.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:08 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Are those trees shaking? :D

My theory: Charlie did indeed learn some tidbits about Croakamancy. Not enough to actually uncroak units yet, but the conversion part is important. I think he will eventually be able to convert units by touch, with study and practice.

...damn that is creepy to think about.

Monday's update: It was Labor day here in the US, I think technically that allows things to be postponed a day.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 am 
    Nuh.
    He's a Carnymancer with extremely Thinkamancer tendencies. It's ironic but Carnymancers make good Thinkamancers in the sense that both deal with human psychology.

To me, it makes utter sense that he has powers to brainwash people. He's done it before.
    I'm sticking with the "Croakamancy as inspiration" hypothesis.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Beeskee wrote:
    Monday's update: It was Labor day here in the US, I think technically that allows things to be postponed a day.

Um, no, Labor Day is the 7th. Hope you didn't skip work yesterday :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions