Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:33 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Looks like it's the magic of being... epic!

8-)

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:44 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent
    And so we glimpse the source of conflict
    Born of family and courses picked
    By unsteady minds and timid souls,
    By low esteem and courtly trolls

More magic insights and players too
    "How people work and what they do"
    And how like a shockmancer, in his signs
    Foul, hated, useful at times

But enough of all this talk and jawing!
    On to dinner! To drink and gnawing!

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:47 pm 
    Yep - seems that the core of Rhyme-o-mancy is to psych up your allies and psych out your enemies. Presumably the dance fighting bonus, for example, is a form of natural Rhyme-o-mancy buff, and if you have an actual Rhyme-o-mancer and units that can dance-fight, the Rhyme-o-mancer can compose some awesome beats to dance to. Very much the "bard" as seen in other game systems.

Also, intriguing intrigue. What reasons does have Thomas have to question Bibi's judgment and to avoid Dylan? Is there an actual good reason not to have a heroic epic about him, for example? (Or a bad reason that serves his own ends?)

Dylan's position, at least, is straightforward - he wants to help his Side, composing an effective heroic epic is the best use of his juice to do so, and interviewing Thomas is crucial to succeeding in the compose-cast. What he doesn't know is... well, whatever secrets Thomas is keeping, I guess.

(also, it seems we've got a rhyme-o-mancer in the thread.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:56 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    "The pony (Springsteed) took off like a boss, as if it had been popped to run."

Ugh... *groans* I like it.

I'm catching references here and there, but nothing that puts it into an overall theme. Some music/poet related, but other names aren't fitting into that as far as I can see. I need to reread part I anyway since its been a few weeks.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent
    Mithiwithi wrote:
    Also, intriguing intrigue. What reasons does have Thomas have to question Bibi's judgment and to avoid Dylan? Is there an actual good reason not to have a heroic epic about him, for example? (Or a bad reason that serves his own ends?)

Considering how she's temperamental and prone to disbanding people at court, it sounds like Bibi doesn't have the most strategic and stable mind. Since she normally lets Thomas do what he wants, it usually doesn't matter, but since family is involved...

As for why Thomas doesn't want an epic, it's pretty clear - he's been losing. If he deserved an epic saga about him, he wouldn't need it. As it is, he probably feels that the epic will either be bluster and lies, or full of truth and failure. ("Brave Sir Robin ran away~")

Mithiwithi wrote:
    Dylan's position, at least, is straightforward - he wants to help his Side, composing an effective heroic epic is the best use of his juice to do so, and interviewing Thomas is crucial to succeeding in the compose-cast. What he doesn't know is... well, whatever secrets Thomas is keeping, I guess.

Ha! It's even more straightforward than that. This isn't a project Dylan's started of his own initiative - he's been ORDERED and threatened with torture and death to do it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:16 pm 
    No one in particular wrote:
    Mithiwithi wrote:

Ha! It's even more straightforward than that. This isn't a project Dylan's started of his own initiative - he's been ORDERED and threatened with torture and death to do it.

That too. I guess my point is that this isn't an order he'd even see any reason to resist (yet) - the threats merely mean he's going to much greater lengths to execute the order.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:20 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    A non-royal Overlady that has a court with Courtiers and a Court Jester..
    Consider me intrigued.

I thought Courtier-units were exclusive to sides subscribing to nobility and royalty.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:23 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Wait, Dylan McQuillan? It was Dylan Fugue in the previous update. Multiple names, or just a mistake?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:33 pm 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    It may be just me
    but I worry Dylan's side
    is not long for Erf.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:26 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Mithiwithi wrote:
    Yep - seems that the core of Rhyme-o-mancy is to psych up your allies and psych out your enemies. Presumably the dance fighting bonus, for example, is a form of natural Rhyme-o-mancy buff, and if you have an actual Rhyme-o-mancer and units that can dance-fight, the Rhyme-o-mancer can compose some awesome beats to dance to. Very much the "bard" as seen in other game systems.

(also, it seems we've got a rhyme-o-mancer in the thread.)

From what I can tell, he doesn't believe himself worthy, and so finds the idea of the process uncomfortable and stressful.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:45 pm 
    This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Ok, that's interesting insight in Rhyme-o-mancy.

I was wondering one thing:
    Last week you had to skip the update because the rhymes didn't work out, but since there weren't all that many rhymes here, could it be that you moved that content to the next update after elaborating stuff that happens before those rhymes take place?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:00 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I'm not getting the significance of the characters yet, but I'm starting to get a Florida vibe from the place names and the drama.
    Opencola = Pensacola FL
    Bay City = Tampa Bay
    A bunch of female rulers having drama and intrigue sounds a bit like caddy beach girl cliques perhaps?
    Though the mention of Pencilvania (Pennsylvania) makes me wonder if it's the east coast in general.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:16 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    fabe wrote:
    Wait, Dylan McQuillan? It was Dylan Fugue in the previous update. Multiple names, or just a mistake?

:oops: Drafting error. Fugue is correct and Retconjured. Have 5 Shmuckers.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm 
    Oh, cheer up Thomas - don't be glum
    this war is far from finished.
    Although you dread it, home you've come
    its glory undiminished.
    We know you dread an audience
    with Dylan, Bibi's thrall.
    You feel the weight and are quite tense;
    fear Opencola's fall
    shall be solely laid upon your breast
    but take heart, Noble man!
    For now, allow yourself a rest
    the Titans have a plan...

So meet up soon with Dylan Bard
    and Chester, jester sly
    work with them now, do not be hard
    permit their crafts to ply
    and join them in their scheming ploy
    for if you three work together,
    you'll find your sorrow turned to joy
    and break your mother's tether!

For they'll help you form a cunning plan
    turning lost war to glory
    and you'll be honored (instead of panned)
    in life and song and story.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:24 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Fascinating, I would have thought it would be the Signamancers who would be able to look into someone's inner workings, but it makes sense. Signamancers look at who you are based on your outsides, Rhymeomancers know who you are based on your insides.

So Rhymeonmancers (at least master ones) are probably close to living lie detectors, interesting. And since a master can compose epics based on (potentially false) rumors, they aren't even necessarily bound by actual truth.

They seem fun, like less problematic Luckamancers.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:30 pm 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Fascinating, I would have thought it would be the Signamancers who would be able to look into someone's inner workings, but it makes sense. Signamancers look at who you are based on your outsides, Rhymeomancers know who you are based on your insides.

So Rhymeonmancers (at least master ones) are probably close to living lie detectors, interesting. And since a master can compose epics based on (potentially false) rumors, they aren't even necessarily bound by actual truth.

They seem fun, like less problematic Luckamancers.

If you cross the Thinkamancers, their secret society will mute you and brand you a Baddie.

If you cross the Rhyme-o-mancers, their secret society will revoke your Literary License.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:46 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Dylan and Thomas - Part 2 wrote:
    The rest of the time, his only contribution to the side seemed to be making talismans

I'm most interested in this. It was mentioned last time too.

Dylan and Thomas - Part 1 wrote:
    And then he could, in peace and good conscience, go back to making trinkets and talismans

I'm interested in the kinds of items that Rhyme-o-mancy alone could make. We already know a little bit about it from Dylan's own thoughts.

Dylan and Thomas - Part 2 wrote:
    Rhyme-o-mancy was Stagemancy, performance magic. A Rhyme-o-mancer could boost or diminish the performance of almost anybody. Whatever a unit did, he could help steer them toward the higher or lower end of their range of potential effect.
    To do this, he needed to know what the unit was capable of. Although he was only a novice, his natural senses allowed him a dim but true insight into their inner nature.

It sounds like Rhyme-o-mancy is the magic of potential, which makes me think that they could enhance items (old school D&D style +1, etc), but I bet they can do more than just that. Kind of reminds me of Earthdawn. An item gained magical properties through the narrative. If a hero took an axe and killed a giant bear with it, and stories were told about it, that axe would become more powerful. I bet Rhyme-o-mancy do something similar; give an object powers by building a narrative around it.

That would be AWESOME, and would fit with Stageamancy and the idea that Rhyme-o-mancy is the magic of potential.

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:07 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    "He sewed confusion and distrust among allies,"

I suspect that that should be 'sowed' not 'sewed'. As in, sowing the field. As opposed to sewing a sweater.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:08 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    0beron wrote:
    I'm not getting the significance of the characters yet, but I'm starting to get a Florida vibe from the place names and the drama.
    Opencola = Pensacola FL
    Bay City = Tampa Bay
    A bunch of female rulers having drama and intrigue sounds a bit like caddy beach girl cliques perhaps?
    Though the mention of Pencilvania (Pennsylvania) makes me wonder if it's the east coast in general.

Unfortunately, Pensacola is west of Tampa Bay, so the orientation is a little backwards. but, if you mash-up Orlando and Pensacola to get Opencola, that would be east of the Tampa Bay Area.
    OpenCola is an open source beverage.
    Gesund Heights = "gesunheit" after someone sneezes
    Springsteed = Springsteen (Bruce Springsteen), aka the Boss. 1975 song Born to Run. Be on the lookout for E street.
    From American Fugue: Take care of all of your memories, for you cannot relive them... Bob Dylan; Open the Door, Homer.
    Chester Drawers = Chest of Drawers. Also, Chester is used as a derogatory for someone who has an attraction to much younger mates. On a work computer,so can't use the full phrase, but it does rhyme with Jester.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions