Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Duke Forecastle, Part 2
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:10 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 am 
    Oh, so we're going the 'Forecastle gets the Seafarer special' road.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    the admiral is a jerk. i wonder what the rules of gaining specials are. if it is a trained thing like being a crewmember on a ship then i guess you could gain the special when you level accompanied by proper training.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:28 am 
    conmor wrote:
    the admiral is a jerk. i wonder what the rules of gaining specials are. if it is a trained thing like being a crewmember on a ship then i guess you could gain the special when you level accompanied by proper training.

I think it depends on what the special is... I think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 am 
    What a short, sweet, fantastic update. I would be ecstatic to get an update like this with solid rule clarification every week.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:35 am 
    As a navy veteran, I've been saying his name "Fawksull" (in my head) as well, as that is the correct pronunciation for the part of the ship. However, I'm pretty sure a unit knows how to say his own name... So, fore-castle it is. Seems so strange to me.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I'm guessing the double entendre is intentional. As in, watching a unit who would be better for castle defense become Fawksull, the leading part of the ship.

Yes. That is a rocket-propelled bulldozer of love.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Hi Rob,

I know people point out typos when they occur. I'm going to be very bold and make a comment about actual phrasing.

Quote:
    For a given turn, the ship’s total move was calculated by the total move of all seafarers in the crew, divided by a number that was determined by the ship’s design and condition.

To me, that doesn't have the voice of a character in a story. A small change, "the ship's total move could be calculated ..." would make it sound a little more like something someone in that world might say or think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    We now have a bit of insight into movement rules. Perhaps this also relates to columns on land with Siege units? The siege slowing down the entire column by being a minus factor to the algebraic formulations of a columns' entire movement, so having more siege means a slower combat group in the long run. Perhaps this is why Ansom and Vinny had so LITTLE move in book 1 for the Dwagon Ambush, because their move as a part of the column was reduced because of the presence of slow moving siege engines, and Jillian's was so great, because hers were all fast moving mounts.

BOOM! That's the sound of your mind being blown!

Oh, and I was lucky enough to be awake this early because I just finished writing and posting the next update for Shadows of the Evergreen, if anyone is actually interested. I'll be doing another proofreading later when I've had some sleep, and probably a full day of work or two.

So sleepy.

EDIT:
    Oh my god! He's the Nelson Checker! The most famous paint job for a ship in British Navel history, patterned after Lord Viscount Nelson's own favored pattern! I can't believe I didn't catch that on first pass.

I wonder, will Lord Chequer pattern himself after the life of that great and indomitable man... or the death...

/Riveted

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 am 
    Since proper navigation, taking wind and tide into account, is actually a thing in Erfworld rather than just the "move north six hexes, then move north-east for six" style that seems to apply to land and air units, I wonder if a Seafarer-Signamancer (I'm guessing all their casters, like their warlords, have the Seafarer special) would be particularly good at cartography and navigation?

I think quite a lot of mathematical advances were funded by the British Admiralty for their use in navigation and position-finding as well. I wonder if Seaworld has a Mathamancer who produces that kind of thing?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 am 
    Free Radical wrote:
    Since proper navigation, taking wind and tide into account, is actually a thing in Erfworld rather than just the "move north six hexes, then move north-east for six" style that seems to apply to land and air units, I wonder if a Seafarer-Signamancer (I'm guessing all their casters, like their warlords, have the Seafarer special) would be particularly good at cartography and navigation?

I think quite a lot of mathematical advances were funded by the British Admiralty for their use in navigation and position-finding as well. I wonder if Seaworld has a Mathamancer who produces that kind of thing?

Wind and Tide are described as a random effect. Probably there are equivalent for at least other air and land vehicles. (I think mounts expend their own move rather than the rider move like vehicles do)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:22 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    What's the deal with his name and it being pronounced wrong? I feel I'm missing something obvious here.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 am 
    Crod wrote:
    What's the deal with his name and it being pronounced wrong? I feel I'm missing something obvious here.

Someone already pointed it out above.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Crod wrote:

A "Forecastle", is part of a ship. "Fawksull" is the correct pronunciation as opposed to "For Castle"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:38 am 
    I've realised what this means for Spookism. They all deal with one type of unit and a unit stat.

Turnamancer deals with vehicle units and movement.
    Dollamancer deals with animated units and equips.
    Weirdomancer deals with living units and abilities.

So any naval side would benefit incredibly from having a Turnamancer. Anchobar could have one.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    BakaGrappler wrote:
    We now have a bit of insight into movement rules. Perhaps this also relates to columns on land with Siege units? The siege slowing down the entire column by being a minus factor to the algebraic formulations of a columns' entire movement, so having more siege means a slower combat group in the long run. Perhaps this is why Ansom and Vinny had so LITTLE move in book 1 for the Dwagon Ambush, because their move as a part of the column was reduced because of the presence of slow moving siege engines, and Jillian's was so great, because hers were all fast moving mounts.

I think you're misinterpretting the situation. I agree that the column probably has it's move calculated in a similar fashion, but that same mechanic is definitely not being applied to those smaller groups you mention. Groups that don't have a Vehicle with them don't run out of Move collectively, they simply chose to go only as fast as their slowest member. We see this with Jillian actually, she's moving with a group and stops because some of her Mounts run out of Move and they want everyone together. When her plans change, the takes the Mounts with Move remaining and leaves Webinar with the "exhausted" ones.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:53 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Ashendant wrote:
    I've realised what this means for Spookism. They all deal with one type of unit and a unit stat.
    Turnamancer deals with vehicle units and movement.
    That may be a fair description in part, but is not an exhaustive list of the abilities. Turning a unit to your side, and accelerating production schedules do not fit within that description, yet Turnamancers do it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 am 
    0beron wrote:
    BakaGrappler wrote:

I think you're misinterpretting the situation. I agree that the column probably has it's move calculated in a similar fashion, but that same mechanic is definitely not being applied to those smaller groups you mention. Groups that don't have a Vehicle with them don't run out of Move collectively, they simply chose to go only as fast as their slowest member. We see this with Jillian actually, she's moving with a group and stops because some of her Mounts run out of Move and they want everyone together. When her plans change, the takes the Mounts with Move remaining and leaves Webinar with the "exhausted" ones.

We've seen battlebears pushing siege engines. Those units around the collumns might've been working as "crew" to increase it's move by pushing it.

Last edited by Ashendant on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:57 am 
    Agreed. It's definitely reasonable to assume Columns/Seige might work the same way. I just was objecting to Baka's assumption that ALL groups work the same even when they lack a Vehicle-type thing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 am 
    Quote:
    That may be a fair description in part, but is not an exhaustive list of the abilities. Turning a unit to your side, and accelerating production schedules do not fit within that description, yet Turnamancers do it.

I wasn't stating movement as in "move" only. I would say that production and loyalty have tendencies to decrease that could be called movement.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions