Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Digdoug - Episode 22
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:22 pm 
Why is everyone in this thread convinced that this was a true prediction? The guy's name is Carniac--CARNY ACT-- for boops sake.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Zak3056 wrote:
    Why is everyone in this thread convinced that this was a true prediction? The guy's name is Carniac--CARNY ACT-- for boops sake.

Because his description matches a Predictamancer that was with Marie. Based off of Johnny Carson's character Carnac. 7th Panel.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -09-06.jpg

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

Last edited by Lipkin on Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    Zak3056 wrote:

Because his description matches a Predictamancer that was with Marie. Based off of Johnny Carson. 7th Panel.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -09-06.jpg

And because Johnny Carson's character was named "The Great Carnac." So, in the legendary words of the internet...

Sounds legit.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    It also explains why Posbrake traded the heir for a caster. If the side is fated to end, what's the point of having an heir that will just die anyway? Better to trade for a unit that will live on after the side has gone.

Except the predictamancer was hired after Digdoug was purchased.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Corrupt User wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    It also explains why Posbrake traded the heir for a caster. If the side is fated to end, what's the point of having an heir that will just die anyway? Better to trade for a unit that will live on after the side has gone.

Except the predictamancer was hired after Digdoug was purchased.

Could have been hired multiple times. But yeah, I see your point.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:49 pm 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    "end of part one"? 22 episodes is part one? Man, whoever Kickstarted this storyline is really going to get their money's worth.
    Lipkin wrote:
    Am I the only one getting an Avengers Assemble feel to these stories? The story of Lord Crush shows creative thinkers finding a way to make alliances work. Digdoug shows a caster with a beef against Charlie and a prediction that the ring will once more belong to a ruler. Both are reasonable future allies of Gobwin Knob. You've even got Dove, who doesn't want to work for Charlie, but is in with the Carnies and would make an excellent mole.

It would be really cool if rather than just expanding the world, these stories were being set up for integration. Like all of the Marvel movies leading up into the Avengers.
    Yeah, that would be awesome.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:49 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    So my take on all of it, is yeah, it's sounding a bit like Avenger Assemble. I agree.

Rob is giving us insight into something. Parson needs allies, and this last post is suggesting that the Predictamancers would, well, predict that. So why not start setting that up well in advance?

And I do think that the Predictamancer that PosBreak hired was Carniac. Carniac also probably also knew the Dirtamancer would survive and enter the MK as a Barbarian, and probably offered PosBreak a Prediction, to be done in the future when the HomeKey side really needed it, at the moment it was needed. Hence, Carniac being there for Digdoug, who aparently, would either rebuild the Homekey side, or gift that ring to the ruler he believes would be the one to end Charlie. "It will be again."

(Sounds like a deal a Predictamancer would make. Pay now, and I'll show up the next time you need me. When will that be? Oh, I'll know.)

And yeah, PosBreak had to have known disaster was coming like a barreling train. Looking back at when he told Digdoug he'd hired the Predictamancer and found the loophole, he was depressed, desperate, and searching for hope. We need another Loophole. His side was predicted to fall, on the same turn as the massive air attack. And that is probably why PosBreak gave Dove the ring, to have something of Homekey continue on. That is probably why PosBreak ordered Dove to carry Digdoug into the Magic Kindgom for healing, instead of having a Healomancer brought back to the capitol, which would have been more tactically sound. PosBreak was setting up his legacy with the only people he could, after the instant he realized that the Carnymancy shield against projectile attacks would not be enough to defy his Fate.

PosBreak was incredibly cunning, and probably understood what I called the Oedipus Paradox. By knowing your destiny beforehand, you try to change it, but in trying to change it, you in fact are the primary mover in bringing it about. He didn't tell anyone anything he didn't HAVE to, because it would affect things. I think this is so because PosBreak was acting so unnaturally through the entire second half of the story, like he KNEW something no one else knew.

But yeah, we're looking at something huge being formed, far off in the distance. Rob, you are using the contributed donations for personal stories to form something greater than their individual sums. You are using them to build a greater existence for the whole of Erf, and the betterment of the main storyline.

I salute you.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 pm 
    The way I see it happening is that Posbrake hired Carniac, and then Carniac saw Posbrake's fate. Once he saw Posbrake couldn't be saved, Carniac offers to help him get revenge on Charlie. Carniac seemed more like a co-conspirator than a one time ally. The Predictamancers openly aided Parson without asking or requiring compensation. So after initial payment, I don't think Carniac would have asked for more when the goal is to bring about Charlie's demise. If this isn't the case, and Carniac was simply fulfilling a contract, then Digdoug is now on his own, because Posbrake didn't have money to spare on a ton of predictions. I think the story is more fun if he's got predictamancers looking out for him.

And yeah, great story. Makes me excited for more.

I think Digdoug pt.2 will be about Digdoug's rise. He'll probably get revenge against Delkey himself, and leave Charlie for Parson. I wonder if Delkey is in the RCC?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:14 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    T The Predictamancers openly aided Parson without asking or requiring compensation. So after initial payment, I don't think Carniac would have asked for more when the goal is to bring about Charlie's demise. If this isn't the case, and Carniac was simply fulfilling a contract, then Digdoug is now on his own, because Posbrake didn't have money to spare on a ton of predictions.

Then "And as an added bonus" then?

But yeah, I think a Predictamancer would not be standing around helping Digdoug out saying, "Okay, take the third left and you'll be on your way to fulfilling vengeance." I'd say they really are the more "Intercession at the moment it is needed" role. The Sage, if you will in writing literary terms. The one moment that decided if Digdoug was going to wander aimlessly and then take a swig of suicide juice, or if he was going to find a hole in the ground to start planning his revenge from. That's how I see a good Predictamancer doing their job, unlike Temple who was all full of herself and destroyed her side through her constant manipulations.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:24 pm 
    BakaGrappler wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    T The Predictamancers openly aided Parson without asking or requiring compensation. So after initial payment, I don't think Carniac would have asked for more when the goal is to bring about Charlie's demise. If this isn't the case, and Carniac was simply fulfilling a contract, then Digdoug is now on his own, because Posbrake didn't have money to spare on a ton of predictions.

Then "And as an added bonus" then?

But yeah, I think a Predictamancer would not be standing around helping Digdoug out saying, "Okay, take the third left and you'll be on your way to fulfilling vengeance." I'd say they really are the more "Intercession at the moment it is needed" role. The Sage, if you will in writing literary terms. The one moment that decided if Digdoug was going to wander aimlessly and then take a swig of suicide juice, or if he was going to find a hole in the ground to start planning his revenge from. That's how I see a good Predictamancer doing their job, unlike Temple who was all full of herself and destroyed her side through her constant manipulations.

Sure. I'm just saying I don't think it needs to be a one time thing. I don't expect Carniac to keep popping up and directing Digdoug. But he, or another Predictamancer, might offer him some cryptic words in the future to keep him on track or point him in the right direction. Marie knew when Parson needed her help, but also when he didn't. At the end of book 2, she says he'll have her help when he needs it. I expect it'll be the same with Doug.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:36 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    This story seems to me more about what Charlie wanted, and what Posbreak wanted.

Charlie wants to control the demand for Carniemancers as a means to monopolize the supply. Since Posbreak was going to start a possible trend of demonstrating the value of hiring a Carniemancer, his death while turning a personal profit outweighed the damage to Charlie's reputation. And consequently, aside from Dove, he can still keep the the Carniemancers under his manipulative thumb. The Carnies probably don't know they are being played by the greatest Carnie of them call, Charlie.

(I will point out that while the Carnies were opposed to Parson at Jojo's urging, nothing suggests that they were doing so knowing they were serving Charlie's ends; and simply being opposed to Parson doesn't make them villains any more than Jillian is).

Posbreak, on the other hand - his true legacy was not Homekey, but unconventional thinking. He wanted that legacy to survive, preferably through him, but if Fate could not be cheated, then through Digdoug's witness and, perhaps, Digdoug's advice to any future side who hires him (who probably would not be Royal, and Posbreak knew that as well).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I guess we find out more about Dirtamancers in the Magic Kingdom next episode. :D Anyone know if that is coming next or if something else will be?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:12 am 
    Jatopian wrote:
    "end of part one"? 22 episodes is part one? Man, whoever Kickstarted this storyline is really going to get their money's worth.

He paid for two stories.

Beeskee wrote:
    I guess we find out more about Dirtamancers in the Magic Kingdom next episode. :D Anyone know if that is coming next or if something else will be?

I think the word from Rob is that there will be a new Lord Crush length story, perhaps slightly shorter, and then Book 3? I think that's the plan. Prologue story to be resumed between book 3 updates. Won't be seeing Digdoug for a while.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:16 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    FINALLY <3

Not that I don't like the stories, but it was like waiting for Parson to go through the gate all over again. :D

I had a feeling this story wouldn't link to any time period or group we recognized. That did make it a little less interesting overall, since there's no world context.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:

The Heir is still alive though , so should not have Follywood inherited everything ?

If Posbrake intended for DigDoug to life on why did he not give him any Shmukers ?

Plus im still confused about the value of Rands : it pays upkeep so it should be worth the highest upkeep of a unit , for example it should be worth a thousand shmuckers for Parson , while only worth 160 shmukers for Doug , so Dove should actually have no Rands , she would be a fool not to sell them to units with a high upkeep , as even selling them for a discount she gets more out of it than consuming them herself ....

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 am 
    Kichumen wrote:
    Plus im still confused about the value of Rands : it pays upkeep so it should be worth the highest upkeep of a unit , for example it should be worth a thousand shmuckers for Parson , while only worth 160 shmukers for Doug , so Dove should actually have no Rands , she would be a fool not to sell them to units with a high upkeep , as even selling them for a discount she gets more out of it than consuming them herself ....

Except that Dove is not a Mathamancer.

Sure, there may be a whole substratum of Casters making their living by trading Rands to higher upkeep units for slightly less than they are worth and then using that profit to make more rands. But that sounds like a job where you would need to be as trustworthy as a bank. I don't think a Carnie would be able to get that kind of business off the ground.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:26 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I think I'm more invested now in DigDoug's story than Hamster's.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:44 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Kichumen wrote:
    The Heir is still alive though , so should not have Follywood inherited everything ?

Hopefully this will finally drive a stake through the idea that an heir remains the heir after switching sides.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:11 am 
    Xarx wrote:
    Kichumen wrote:

Hopefully this will finally drive a stake through the idea that an heir remains the heir after switching sides.

If anything, he'd become the heir of the new side I imagine.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    In episode 17 Charlie's Archons destroyed hippo-crates which means that Charlie would have to pay a 8K penalty.

Quote:
    It cost them eight thousand to croak those ‘crates.”

Does this mean that Digdoug can claim this penalty from Charlie?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions