Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Digdoug - Episode 2
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:11 am 
0beron wrote:
So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.

He's probably from the first batch of warlords and the side's first caster, and seeing as Lady Chain was promoted from a field unit this speaks to me of a young side just created and then forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready.

It's going to be interesting, Wanda and Jillian's prologue mostly fast forwarded their growth until they were fighting level 10+ adversaries and the first donor story seemed to be more of a medium level characters battle while this story could be all about the low level units coming into their own.

Also I hope we get to see more of a contrast between this new side's culture, the original mother side's culture and the enemy's culture (apparently their tastes in architecture suck :P )

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:07 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Prodigial_Knight wrote:
    ... forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready...

It takes war to quickly level units. So early war goes both ways, both risk and potential for profit, depending on situation this may be much better for new side then peace. Getting a little leadership training now may make a big difference later.

Similar with dirtomancer... too valuable to risk, but if you don't risk they aren't as valuable as if they level up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:02 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    multilis wrote:
    Prodigial_Knight wrote:
    ... forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready...

It takes war to quickly level units. So early war goes both ways, both risk and potential for profit, depending on situation this may be much better for new side then peace. Getting a little leadership training now may make a big difference later.

Similar with dirtomancer... too valuable to risk, but if you don't risk they aren't as valuable as if they level up.

If there is a good opportunity for it, taking some xp is probably worthwhile. If mother side is handily winning the war against the MFs, you might as well send some warlords over to help. But that's not really a war, that's more like looting from a side that's already down. Basically you want to play a game of risk minimization. If a threat is building up, you may need to gamble to get resources to fight it, but peace is always a good way to get some. A little hunting, dirtamancers getting xp from cities, building up golems (or scrolls), some training etc.

This does not seem like a particularly good chance.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.

True, Parsons questions perplex people.

However, it seems like a given that sometimes at least the various casters "expect" other people to get their possibilities and limitations.

Maybe the people who are "allowed" to question casters, i.e. their chain of command, also have some sort of "magic" understanding of the abilities of the troops under their orders?. We know, ( I think ) that commanders always "Know" things like move, H.P. , position, etc about their troops. Maybe commanders also have a command sense as to the various abilities casters have?. And if they do, then casters just automatically "know" ( think they know ) that people questioning them will "know" a lot of terms and abilities and possibilities?. Maybe?.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:56 am 
    0beron wrote:
    So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.

Or he's originally from Delkey and was one of the founding units for Homekey which hasn't popped its own caster yet..

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:31 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Tonot wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.

True, Parsons questions perplex people.

However, it seems like a given that sometimes at least the various casters "expect" other people to get their possibilities and limitations.

Maybe the people who are "allowed" to question casters, i.e. their chain of command, also have some sort of "magic" understanding of the abilities of the troops under their orders?. We know, ( I think ) that commanders always "Know" things like move, H.P. , position, etc about their troops. Maybe commanders also have a command sense as to the various abilities casters have?. And if they do, then casters just automatically "know" ( think they know ) that people questioning them will "know" a lot of terms and abilities and possibilities?. Maybe?.

Pretty sure Maggie's inner thoughts indicated that Thinkamancers, or at least she, regularly mislead their rulers as to the full range of their abilities. Based on that, an ability sense in rulers seems unlikely.

Edit: This is what I was thinking of.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-07.png

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:31 am 
    Requia wrote:
    0beron wrote:

Or he's originally from Delkey and was one of the founding units for Homekey which hasn't popped its own caster yet..

True, I'm just wildly speculating at this early point in the story.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Requia wrote:
    0beron wrote:

No, the way it is phrased and the tone/context makes it pretty clear he popped to them.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:40 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit
    Dinkum wrote:
    'Some chestnuts were popping merrily in a cast iron cauldron hung up inside the fireplace.'

This actually threw me for a second, trying to figure out if an iron pot creates specific kinds of rations inside it. Actually I'm still not even sure, given the slaughterhouse descriptions of cuts of meat appearing inside.

I understand why it threw you, but I am fairly certain this is but a case of homonymy, and the chestnuts are merely popping in the sense of being roasted in the hot cauldron until they pop open, and not popping as in appearing out of thin air.
    :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Of course, for all we know, the nuts could pop in the cauldron and then pop in the cauldron.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    MadZuri wrote:
    We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

He could be Will Ferrel, playing the guy who has no control over the pitch and volume of his voice from SNL.

But I wanna say something to Arthur Chu here. Way to go man. And all that hate you're getting? To sum up Stanley, "When everyone else in the world is out to get you, you know you're doing something right." You've been playing the game so well, everyone is stupefied. Keep it up!

And reading this particular short story is so fun. I wonder if lightning rods are going to be involved, to electrocute sieging enemies who are approaching in the pools of water. After all, Castle Storms YOU.

And as a result of this story, I've been in the planning process of a Fan Fic myself. In it, I want to try and really explore something. Practical combat Signamancy. There is definitely a field where it can come in handy. It'll take a long time to write, but I enjoy a challenge.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions