Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Digdoug - Episode 2
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Digdoug - Episode 2
     Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:39 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    First!

I have to say, I love reading these life moments of people in erfworld. Really quite enjoyable. Keep em coming Rob! :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:08 pm 
    MadZuri wrote:
    We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

And they have a misfit Noble called Prince Indoor Voice ;)

-----
    And here Rob is taking us through one type of spin-off scenario. It's interesting that some nobles/warlords (like Eften, Ansom) seem to lean heavily towards form over function, while others (like Chains, Jillian) seem to lean the other way. it's a weird, imbalanced sort of force. Then again, those with established sides and a large treasury may not exactly remember what it was like to live on a budget.

Good work today, Digdoug - it may not serve defenses in any sort of raw numerical way, but your work today was important for aiding the defense of Weatherbug. After all, happier troops are more alert troops. You served the Titans and your Side this day.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:14 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I'm quite liking this story so far.
    Great work!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18 pm 
    Jacinth and Rubies wrote:
    Good work today, Digdoug - it may not serve defenses in any sort of raw numerical way, but your work today was important for aiding the defense of Weatherbug. After all, happier troops are more alert troops. You served the Titans and your Side this day.

I thought that was more about letting troops travel within the city without the risk of them falling down.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    How do the sides with dirtamancers not totally rule Erfworld? A few turns of upkeep for one, and they get awesome improvements to an entire city. Rinse, repeat for _thousands_ more.

It's like when I visit my in-laws and take my toolbucket along; they get buku handyman work for the cost of a few meals.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    It seems that most sides, and most warlords, and possibly even many casters, greatly underestimate the effectiveness of Dirtamancers. From Golems (which they can boost and heal) to terrain to traps to city design, they are able to do a lot, but I don't think Erfworlders think much of them. They seem to think of them as magical janitors, and treat them like dirt.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm 
    MadZuri wrote:

You haven't been reading Erfworld much, have you? ;)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm 
    Akkristor wrote:
    It seems that most sides, and most warlords, and possibly even many casters, greatly underestimate the effectiveness of Dirtamancers. From Golems (which they can boost and heal) to terrain to traps to city design, they are able to do a lot, but I don't think Erfworlders think much of them. They seem to think of them as magical janitors, and treat them like dirt.

And Foolamancers are treated as fools. This looks like it's either coded into erfworlders or based on Scrpture. I'm guessing that it's coded into them. Which is why Parson is so powerful - he doesn't think that way.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    cheeseaholic wrote:
    And Foolamancers are treated as fools. This looks like it's either coded into erfworlders or based on Scrpture. I'm guessing that it's coded into them. Which is why Parson is so powerful - he doesn't think that way.

Maybe... but think back to Wanda's handling of the defense of Goodminton. Different classes of casters seem to lend themselves more readily towards tactical vs strategic uses, right? Predictamancy struck me as the "strategic" variety. "How will this battle turn out", "What is [side] going to do?", that kind of thing. Forget that, she put Delphi to work providing close air support. I saw it as a very Parson-esque use of a caster.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm 
    'Some chestnuts were popping merrily in a cast iron cauldron hung up inside the fireplace.'

This actually threw me for a second, trying to figure out if an iron pot creates specific kinds of rations inside it. Actually I'm still not even sure, given the slaughterhouse descriptions of cuts of meat appearing inside.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:48 pm 
    Quote:
    “Awl of ‘em, if he keepsh thish shitty from fawling.”

well, that's one way of avoiding erfworld's censor

Feeling strong "death flags" coming off the Lady Chains, here.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Prince Creen... How did I not see that coming after update 1? :)

Yes. That is a rocket-propelled bulldozer of love.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 pm 
    Typo: sortee. Should be sortie. A sortee would be the subject of a sort. :-)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm 
    Prince Creen.... <facepalm>

I had to come to the forums to spot it though... a lot of these puns don't work in Scotland, where we pronounce our Glottal Stops

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    So keeping the rain down does help! Probably to be expected with raincoats helping Charlie's archons.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    0beron wrote:
    Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.
    Maybe, but not necessarily. Casters seem to be units who are expected to be highly focused on magic to the point where they lack awareness of real life considerations. Digdoug has no difficulty making a wide variety of city improvements and I think that's the true test of a Dirtamancer's skill. If he were especially young the signs I would expect to see would be a limited selection of spells and running out of juice quickly, just like Wanda in the beginning of Book 0. The fact that he's uncertain about the usefulness of the improvements he's making is just an indication that he's not a warlord.

Something similar was mentioned in Book 0, Episode 20: "The actual effect the new air defense spells might have on an enemy wasn't something she understood well. It was for a warlord to say how useful something might be in battle."

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions