Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 3 - Page 2
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:16 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most
http://www.erfworld.com/2014/07/book-3-page-2/ is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 3 – Page 2
     Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:21 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Well, that was unexpected ... by me, anyway. I guess we can forget about that tactic, at least against targets as sophisticated as Charlie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    We all knew it wouldn't work, but if Charlie was able to reprogram it that easily, then Parson's got his work cut out for him.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 am 
    I was expecting "Throw it away!" to be in all caps, like "THROW IT AWAY!!!1!!eleventyone!!"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I'm more puzzled by the fact that the unit didn't disband once it came back from the portal.

Seems... abnormal.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 am 
    ManaCaster wrote:
    We all knew it wouldn't work, but if Charlie was able to reprogram it that easily, then Parson's got his work cut out for him.

I don't think is was reprogrammed, I think it was confiscated and reverse-engineered, and replaced with advanced armament that Charlie already had.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Quote:
    He placed the burdensome crown back on his pate and waited, both with impatience and with dread. He drummed his fingers, and glanced around the tabletop. It was covered with odd items. That awful Dollamancer's things. Had that buffoon really wasted juice without orders on this critical turn, just to make another "accessory?"

The King picked up some kind of odd green egg-shaped object with a ring at the top, and looked at it in the light of the room's sole orb. Useless. He placed it back down and pushed it away. Holly Shortcake would not have fabricated such things. She was such a delight.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:45 am 
    ysath wrote:
    I'm more puzzled by the fact that the unit didn't disband once it came back from the portal.

Seems... abnormal.

As MadZuri has it:

MadZuri wrote:
    ManaCaster wrote:

I don't think is was reprogrammed, I think it was confiscated and reverse-engineered, and replaced with advanced armament that Charlie already had.

Perhaps it was created inside the MK? Did anyone actually see it come through the portal? Charlie could have sent a caster through who could have created it on the spot. OTOH, if anyone could get a unit through a portal it would be a carnymancer, I guess.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Seriously, how did he not recognize it as a grenade if he has made grenades before?

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:48 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Charlie's playing "I know you know, and I want you to know I know" etc games again.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Charlie is a cheeky bastard, you know that?

StClair wrote:
    Charlie's playing "I know you know, and I want you to know I know" etc games again.

Like this? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... uKnowIKnow

Shai_hulud wrote:
    Seriously, how did he not recognize it as a grenade if he has made grenades before?

I've read book 2 many times and I don't ever remember seeing Ace use or make a grenade.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:16 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    I've read book 2 many times and I don't ever remember seeing Ace use or make a grenade.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/02/book-2- ... dates-042/

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:21 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    lucidfox wrote:
    Thecommander236 wrote:

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/02/book-2- ... dates-042/

Well I'll be damned. Still a M67 spherical grenade and M26 "egg" (as mentioned in the text) looks different than an Mk 2 "pineapple". Ace may not have recognized it in the split he had to examine it. He may have realized it when Parson ordered him to chuck it away.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_2_grenade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_grenade

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 am 
    Oh wow Parson just saved Issac. I hope there will be feels.

Wait no stuff happens at the start of a book, then people react in the middle, and at the end everything changes forever, and in the epilogue people process their feels.

Hmm, wait according to my math that means next page there will be processing feels, and then book 4. That would be silly.

If a post in a reaction thread irks you, consider PMs, or the use of a thread in another subforum and invite the poster there. This isn't reddit, but I want to hit the [-] button to skip past all the feels to find crunchy or baseless speculation.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 am 
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Well I'll be damned. Still a M67 spherical grenade and M26 "egg" (as mentioned in the text) looks different than an Mk 2 "pineapple". Ace may not have recognized it in the split he had to examine it. He may have realized it when Parson ordered him to chuck it away.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_2_grenade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_grenade

Hm, not sure I buy it. I mean, I could understand him not recognizing it completely but it should have been familiar at least. Of course, with the way things work in Erfworld, just because a dollamancer makes something that looks like something in Stupidworld doesn't mean they know much about the item in question. In fact, they don't really seem to know anything about it other than it's Erfworld use. Or did Rob just forget? It's not like him but these things happen.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:54 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Davre wrote:
    Hm, not sure I buy it. I mean, I could understand him not recognizing it completely but it should have been familiar at least. Of course, with the way things work in Erfworld, just because a dollamancer makes something that looks like something in Stupidworld doesn't mean they know much about the item in question. In fact, they don't really seem to know anything about it other than it's Erfworld use. Or did Rob just forget? It's not like him but these things happen.

Well, I don't think we need retconjuration just yet. I think you're on to something, though. Ace did say that most of that stuff on the table was junk. Now just because he made an M26 doesn't mean that he has the ability load it up with gunpowder. It may have just been the empty casing and, thus, incomplete or "junk". If that's the case, then Ace wouldn't actually know what it was. Especially in the split second before tossing it.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:04 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    I admittedly don't know much about grenades, but doesn't arming it remove the lever thingy? Pull the pin to arm it, but as long as the hand brake looking thing is held, it won't explode?

That being said, I think chances are good the camera will return later in the comic.

Also, Ace throwing the grenade is labeled "Chuck."

Apt.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:15 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Why is Ace almost as tall as Parson and Maggie and thinkamancer are midget

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Lipkin wrote:
    I admittedly don't know much about grenades, but doesn't arming it remove the lever thingy? Pull the pin to arm it, but as long as the hand brake looking thing is held, it won't explode?

That is correct sir. If the lever is held, then you can technically put the pin back and the primer won't ignite. However, I think that the grenade is magical. Working on proximately detection. That or the soldier pulled the pin right as he gave it to Ace. That being the case, grenades have very imprecise timers. Sometimes they will go off at 10 seconds like advertised or sometimes 8 or less. You can still see the lever in the second to last panel so I assume it was flicking off then, or the grenade is magical like I said. Have to wait until the next update for an explanation I suppose.

OneHugeTuck wrote:

That's always been the case. Why are you surprised by that now? I see by your post count that you've been here for a while.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

Last edited by Thecommander236 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    OneHugeTuck wrote:

Ace has always been shown as being tall for an Erfworlder, in his first appearance he is about a head taller than everyone else.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions