Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
I didn't get the Airplane! reference right away--that is awesome. I really appreciated how the video zoomed in on the different casters as they were mentioned in the script--takes a lot of guesswork out of figuring out who's who. I like how the video narration changes to reflect whose inner thoughts are being expressed, as well. The first one sounded kind of stuffy, but that's because Artemis is kind of stuffy. Ace's sounded pretty "far out," and now Roger's definitely has a hint of snobbery. I like it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I don't believe an Empire technically requires multiple separate factions/states unified under someone, I think it's really more of a fanciful term. Perhaps in an Erfworld context it would be appropriate for a Ruler who had conquered multiple capital sites, yet kept those unit types alive rather than razing the cities. Then you would be Ruler of many "different" sides, without actually needing other Rulers to pledge to you.
    That, or it could be a purely aesthetic choice and is no different from a Queen.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:16 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings lately, so the mechanics of Empires from that game were on my mind when I saw the Empress Thinkamancer. I think it's just a name for her, but it did give me thought on how there can be different types of Sides. I think an Empire could be done, if it's set up properly using Royal relatives. It may even help to solve the whole diminishing returns problem each Side faces. Not to mention the presumably increased pop rate of casters and nobles. You could factor in Parson's musings on how to build a no-combat side into it, maybe have, like.. a core of Sides built for making money, funding border Sides' armies, things like that.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't work or be too redundant/convoluted to be practical, but I likes ta dream.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Hmm. They didn't poll Maggie. Granted her [Necessary] is probably a given, but she's there and one of them. Seems a bit rude.

-Conan of Cimmeria (Queen of the Black Coast by R.E. Howard)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I think it'd certainly be a good exploit, but would need to be done very carefully, and still may not last forever. We know heirs are definitely NOT inherently positive towards their parents, so you'd probably want a Sign-Date-Think link to deeply assess whether an offspring was really suited to run another side while remaining loyal, and to boost their Loyalty as well. If you were lucky enough to start off with those 3 casters you're in a good spot for the expansion phase....
    but eventually those heirs you picked would have heirs of their own, the family would get diluted, and eventually a bad apple would crop up without the "patriarch" side's casters noticing, and the whole empire would rot from within.

Mad Raven wrote:
    Hmm. They didn't poll Maggie. Granted her [Necessary] is probably a given, but she's there and one of them. Seems a bit rude.
    This ties into my earlier point that this group of Great Minds seems to be some kind of leadership. Just because you are part of the Thinkamancer alliance doesn't mean you get a say in their decisions.....in fact I just thought of it another way. I've been arguing that Thinkamancers on capital sides wouldn't be able to help the Great Minds because of their loyalty, but it could be the other way around. The Great Minds might only allow Barbarians to be the in leadership council to avoid any of them pulling the group in a direction that favors a Side.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:25 am 
    Mad Raven wrote:
    It's been a while, so I don't recall exactly, but Maggie may be out of Juice or still blocked by Charlie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 am 
    [Mistake]

But Ace Hardware could fix that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Speculations on building an empire very interesting. I presume it's based on the idea that a side can only get so big, before upkeep costs make it impossible for that site to maintain an army of any size. That would be clever bit of game design on the Titans part to ensure perpetual war, or perhaps a too-quick end with one side conquering all. Wanda's decrypted upkeep-free troops throws a wrench into that mechanism. But I think all of this has been discussed at length, before.

In real life, before the industrial age, empires tended to top out in size, also. That is usually because the conquering nation was only able to extend its cultural "operating system" over a geographic area and/or population of a certain size. The really big ones, that managed to stick around a while, tended to be fairly flexible about how their local portions ran their affairs. At the same time they were successful in imposing their culture on the conquered peoples. This was true of the Romans, the Mongolians, the first Chinese empire, the British Empire, Spanish Empire, and a few more.

In erfworld, by contrast, it's all pretty much based on game mechanics.

Just thinking out loud....

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:54 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    The empress had a write up in one of the books... she is in fact a disposed ruler. Restarting her side is frowned upon by the MK. IIRC.

Also for empire building, thinkamancy would be uniquely suited to the task. My idea would be to spin off puppet rulers, and layer the leadership and commanders with suggestion spells. If any of them betray the ruling side the suggestion spells break and take out the leadership. Then the sides can be mopped up. You can also steal any casters that pop. Also since casters may pop based on need it might be wise to murder any side that fails to produce casters after X number of turns.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Lamech wrote:
    The empress had a write up in one of the books... she is in fact a disposed ruler. Restarting her side is frowned upon by the MK. IIRC.

Also for empire building, thinkamancy would be uniquely suited to the task. My idea would be to spin off puppet rulers, and layer the leadership and commanders with suggestion spells. If any of them betray the ruling side the suggestion spells break and take out the leadership. Then the sides can be mopped up. You can also steal any casters that pop. Also since casters may pop based on need it might be wise to murder any side that fails to produce casters after X number of turns.

I think you probably mean deposed?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:22 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    You don't need to do anything complicated like suggestions. Just take the rulers hostage.

Lipkin wrote:
    I think you probably mean deposed?

No, she released her system resources and is ready to be garbage collected.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 pm 
    Mad Raven wrote:

My impression is that Maggie, while a Thinkamancer, is not a member of the GMTTA, or at least not a part of its leadership. The fact that she was kept out of the loop on Isaac's plans for intercepting Parson suggests that she's more of an agent. Indeed, the fact that she's out in the field, subject to Loyalty to an outside agency (Stanley) and the possibility of capture by enemy forces, makes it even more unlikely that her views carry particular weight within the cabal.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Azukar wrote:
    And Isaac "Cipher"...? Hmm.

Well it could be to do with the (Isaac) Newton Cipher (or code).
    http://newtonscode.wordpress.com/the-ba ... tons-code/
    That was all to with end times and the Illuminati tosh the Thinkamancers seem to be into.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
    Chevalier wrote:
    And I realized in the shower that Roger Victor Clarence is also an Airplane! reference:

"Roger, Roger."
    "Vector, Victor?"
    "Clearance, Clarence."

I'm sure someone will post a link to a clip.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out that reference all morning. I guess I just couldn't conceive of anything remotely funny about Clarence Thomas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:13 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    The Book 2, issue 2 bonus pages contains the profiles of the GMtA members featured in this epilogue.
    Go buy it. It provides info on what side they used to belong to, their approximate age (in turns), their level and mastery in their discipline (and other disciplines if applicable), and a background story. Those pages might not be critical to the overall story, but it should put some of the speculations to rest.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Knott wrote:
    The Book 2, issue 2 bonus pages contains the profiles of the GMtA members featured in this epilogue.
    Go buy it. It provides info on what side they used to belong to, their approximate age (in turns), their level and mastery in their discipline (and other disciplines if applicable), and a background story. Those pages might not be critical to the overall story, but it should put some of the speculations to rest.

What's the verdict on putting info from the bonus pages on the wiki?

And if it's okay, would someone with the books chip in on updating the wiki?

[edit] To clarify, I'm not asking for full page scans, detailed summaries or transcriptions of the bonus pages, just, you know. Naming names. Adding facts. None of the meat, just the bones, y'know?

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:49 pm 
    My personal opinion is that it should be shared if it becomes plot relevant, because I don't think it's fair Rob hide that stuff (case and point, the fact that Issac can perform Lookamancy, the fact that this wasn't common knowledge led to confusion) but otherwise it's an extra people paid for, so it's also not fair to Rob for it to be shared unless needed.
    However that's simply my opinion, I'm not aware if Rob has made a formal statement on it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:50 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    No one in particular wrote:
    What's the verdict on putting info from the bonus pages on the wiki?

And if it's okay, would someone with the books chip in on updating the wiki?

[edit] To clarify, I'm not asking for full page scans, detailed summaries or transcriptions of the bonus pages, just, you know. Naming names. Adding facts. None of the meat, just the bones, y'know?

At this point, I'll say transcription is okay. Please don't upload the images.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:59 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    wih wrote:
    I have a feeling that imbuing someone with Duty might be Weirdomancy.
    Doing your "doody" is clearly natural Dirtamancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm 
    About the idea on Empires, I think it's genius!

There seems to be a missing link though: how to ensure loyalty without, you know, a Loyalty stat (or Duty)? I think the answer is Contracts!

Contracts can be abused to no end as a game mechanic (Hi Charlie!) and I believe they can be binding either to a side or an individual. If you bind a whole side to your Empire, perhaps requiring some clever wording to avoid all sorts of pitfalls later, then you're in business. And I really like using your own nobles or princes to start offshoots, so in that case, you give them only one city first (a capital site), they immediately have to agree to the extremely binding contract of forever servitude or face the whole empire's wrath, and then you can appropriately give it resources to use once it is contractually secured. This has a huge advantage over the magical link suggestion: 1) you don't have to worry about the casters you entirely rely on from dying or going rogue or whatever; 2) when the first ruler dies, you'd have to quickly go back and cast the spell on the new ruler who might be hostile now... good luck with that; 3) nothing stops you from doing both for extra safety.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions