Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: Book 3 - Page 29
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:18 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary
Offline
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 am
Posts: 4676
New One is up.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:24 pm 
    User avatar
    This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am
    Posts: 1753
    I think the odds that the Tool would croak are smaller than the odds that Charlie will come up on top of this deal...

    _________________
    Grand Diplomat wrote:

    Jacior wrote:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:26 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 6:17 pm
    Posts: 65
    Dark Shadow wrote:
    I think the odds that the Tool would croak are smaller than the odds that Charlie will come up on top of this deal...


    Parson is one armslength away from confirmation of your theory. The trouble with the bracer is that if Parson used it half as often as he should be using it, there would be no plot.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:28 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:54 am
    Posts: 66
    Let me be among the many about to say:

    Damnit, Parson. Jillian will live.

    Still, assuming she doesn't croak end of turn from being impaled on the branch.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm 
    User avatar
    This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am
    Posts: 1753
    SNfinity wrote:
    The trouble with the bracer is that if Parson used it half as often as he should be using it, there would be no plot.


    Great...we've got Plot Armour, Plot Sword...sounds like this is a case of Plot Duct Tape. :D

    _________________
    Grand Diplomat wrote:

    Jacior wrote:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:35 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:27 pm
    Posts: 21
    In Parson's defense, an 80% win chance really is a pretty terrible chance if your side's life is on the line. The gain (defeating one out of many enemy sides) isn't worth the risk (game over, with no continues)

    That and even if the bracer did calculate "odds are Charlie will get more out of this deal than you", that wouldn't really tell him anything by itself. Charlie getting more out of a deal than Gobwin Knob doesn't necessarily mean Gobwin Knob will die because of it.

    I guess he could calculate "odds that Gobwin Knob will die if he takes the deal verse odds that it will die if he doesn't" I suppose. Really have to wonder at what point the bracelet would explode with something as complex a calculation as THAT, though.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:36 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:05 pm
    Posts: 22
    If Parson does the deal, hopefully he will include the revocation of Wanda's non-disclosure pact. He seems to be flying blind here. Not that he could ever fully trust Wanda...

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:38 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am
    Posts: 546
    I love it how despite all the discussion in the previous thread, in the comic Stanley's reaction to Hamster saying to hold back while GK's Chief Warlord negotiates with Charlie is simply "I'm cool with that, just take care to don't bankrupt us". No huss, no fuss. 8-)

    Also now wonder if warlords are better than other units at playing meat shield, and thus make better bodyguards than even knights. Hamster didn't order that warlord to mount with Stanley for nothing after all.

    _________________
    Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm 
    User avatar
    This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am
    Posts: 1753
    oslecamo2 temp wrote:
    I love it how despite all the discussion in the previous thread, in the comic Stanley's reaction to Hamster saying to hold back while GK's Chief Warlord negotiates with Charlie is simply "I'm cool with that, just take care to don't bankrupt us". No huss, no fuss. 8-)


    Me too. I would, though if Parson had just saved my side from two no-win situations.

    oslecamo2 temp wrote:
    Also now wonder if warlords are better than other units at playing meat shield, and thus make better bodyguards than even knights. Hamster didn't order that warlord to mount with Stanley for nothing after all.


    Two words: Leadership Bonuses.

    Edit: And also, that warlord is now more likely to survive... :D

    _________________
    Grand Diplomat wrote:

    Jacior wrote:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:44 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am
    Posts: 723
    Location: Bay Area, California
    "By saying the right four words to the right being a the right time for all the wrong reasons"

    I thought the GITP quote fits well here.

    Parson's line, "We have a deal"

    The intention is right, but it is going to not have a favorable outcome.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:51 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am
    Posts: 546
    Dark Shadow wrote:
    oslecamo2 temp wrote:
    Also now wonder if warlords are better than other units at playing meat shield, and thus make better bodyguards than even knights. Hamster didn't order that warlord to mount with Stanley for nothing after all.


    Two words: Leadership Bonuses.

    But Stanley has a leadership bonus himself. Some people have claimed leadership bonus don't stack with each other...

    On the other hand, we've several times seen the warlord stack of doom tactic, including this one where they weren't even in the frontline, so probably there's some benefit from it.

    Dark Shadow wrote:
    Edit: And also, that warlord is now more likely to survive... :D

    The new boss of the KISS! Yes I too hope he gets fleshed out like Scarlet did. :)

    _________________
    Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 am
    Posts: 323
    Well on the one hand, I'm unhappy with Parson's plot-sense, but there's no way he could know or suspect as much as we do...or could he? Do Charlie's actions make sense when you assume he's just wheeling and dealing like always? Parson seems to be completely blind about the function and power of Fate, (whether it's real or not) which is not typical for him.

    At least it makes the comic more interesting.

    I'll re-iterate the the Mathamancy bracer is part of the Perfect Warlord spell, and doesn't confer any advantages that a perfect warlord wouldn't already have, which includes having a pretty good idea about how things are going to turn out.

    -they are just percentages, not guarantees
    -the results are probably related only to combat and resources
    -we have no way of knowing how accurate the answer really is, and whether the bracer is just making simple, ultimately incorrect calculations based upon a small amount of information

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 pm 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 am
    Posts: 50
    I wonder if the hobgobwins are going to be discussed as part of the deal.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:22 pm
    Posts: 883
    Got to agree with someone else, hope he can get the NDA lifted on Wanda, that would be the obvious thing to exact from him.

    Also love stanley's reaction here, it's just awesome. Honestly get him in a fight and out of overlord mode and he's actually pretty cool himself, it's just he's an awful annoying boss.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:30 pm
    Posts: 444
    Of course, if Charlie doesn't have a clue about Caesar, then it's just from "Frying Pan into Fire". Although it's feasible that Charlie might threaten Caesar the same way, I would think Transylvito would then seriously consider Charlie a threat, breaking up the RCC2 even further.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:11 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm
    Posts: 57
    Love Stanley's black nail polish. :)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:12 pm 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:56 pm
    Posts: 2497
    Parson look like he has cauliflower ear in the last panel. The "real" reason? There's no way that Wanda would know about Jillian's mind being altered, right? I mean Jack knew about the Jester because he saw through her eyes. If Wanda knew about the Jester then that means Jack told her or showed her. They should therefore both know the significance of the Jester unless they signed the NDA pact BEFORE Wanda could explain it. However, Jack may be capable of figuring it out on his own. He may even walk in right now and say "don't take the deal. We need Jillian croaked and decypted." The hell would we know what Jack knows? He's a fool, but a minor genius in his own right. He's a fool because he got himself killed in Spacerock, though we can hardly blame him for not foreseeing the consequences of his mount being half blind. He's a genius because he's one of the few that can keep up with Parson and he even confounds him at times despite lacking a formal education.

    _________________
    Screw you guys, I'm a Cyborg pony now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

    Full Image.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:48 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:46 am
    Posts: 69
    Obviously the most important bit of this all, is that Stanley says "I AM ALWAYS COOL!" when told to be cool..so we have confirmation that Stanley is Never cool.

    Cause cool guys don't need to say how cool they are 8-)

    Serious time though

    I like how everyone can call Parley mid turn to start discussions.

    Wanda is about to get very disappointed, saying "You can't do this but I can't tell you why" to someone who already has reason to distrust you is never a good idea, oddly Wanda seems to know Parson has stopped implicitly trusting her when it comes to Jillian.

    I still think Capture Jillian is the proper way to cut this knot out, I think Deals with Charlie made in haste and under pressure are a bad way to go when dealing with him.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:00 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:03 am
    Posts: 126
    You know, I can perfectly understand why Parson is taking the deal. Sure, a one in five chance is only 20% that Stanley will croak. Some might even call those favorable odds, but to look at it in another light... that's a 20% chance you don't insta-lose.

    Now, I play a lot of X-Com, so let me tell you how *I* look at odds, and I'm pretty sure Parson has a similar way by now. An 80% chance to hit is the same as a 20% chance to miss. I've *SEEN* shots like that miss before. Way too many times. I'd *never* make a strategy *DEPEND* on an 80% chance happening. So you are betting the whole game on a single roll. Sure, you have good odds, but in X-Com, even a total wipe isn't Game Over. For this? It is. 20% is WAY too high a chance of a Game Over to risk. Even with Wanda absolutely convinced that it 'won't' happen. She may even be right, but now is not the time to bet the whole side on it.

    Besides, you can stick Charlie for the bill for free replacement KISS troops for the ones he stole, which is a delicious bit of irony pie. Granted, any deal Charlie makes is going to make Charlie come out ahead in HIS books, which makes me very curious as to what is IN those books that he would be giving away so many things just to get Jillian out alive.

    I remember in a D&D game (3.5) I played once, I was the only experienced player. I played a Cleric with DMM Chain Spell as a buff-bot, with Divine Spell Power, and over a hundred turn attempts per day. My morning buffing session hit the whole party with everything from massive bonuses to every relevant stat (nat bonus to AC from Plant domain, deflection bonus to AC, enhancement bonus to armor, enhancement bonus to shield, enhancement bonus to attack and damage, enhancement bonus to stats...), but also a lot of 'immune to you' buffs like Persisted Death Ward and Persisted Freedom of Movement. To the whole party.

    Now, the party was, by and large, a bunch of newbies who just wanted to go in and kill things. And I was the one who kept them alive while making every tactical blunder they possibly could. It got to be a game-within-a-game between me and the GM over the ability to keep the party alive.

    The reason why I bring this up... I think Charlie is doing one of those 'game within a game' things. Which makes me wonder... who is he really up against?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 29
     Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:09 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 pm
    Posts: 179
    Charlie is a Carnymancer. He's fighting Fate, and the Titans, and Erfworld.

    Jillian can still fuck everything up if she surrenders to GK.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Evilkritter, Stryke and 16 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: