Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Summer Updates - 012
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:12 am 
moose o death wrote:
they don't sound that intertesting if all we're getting is jillian thinking about TV dinners

I see what you did there. :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 am 
    WLM: mooseodeath@hotmail.com
    true. that honestly feels like a mistake too. also walnuts.

the way i see this is like landing on an alien planet where everyone speaks english. the idea is preposterous.

oh well it's done now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    moose o death wrote:

the way i see this is like landing on an alien planet where everyone speaks english. the idea is preposterous.

oh well it's done now.

Amend that - it's like being brought to an alien planet by people who demanded their guest speak the language. Or like going to Germany - everybody speaks English there, but some of the translation/slang might be confusing to a newcomer. Or heck, England (from US) for that matter.

It's really like Star Trek.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:03 pm 
    moose o death wrote:

Ralnuts?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:41 pm 
    no the fact walnuts exist in erfworld...then that they are called walnuts.

same for pidgeons and NOW rats. parson isn't even nearby for this one, erfworld has rats.

from the erf physics perspective garbage is cleaned up at the start of every turn so what would rats even survive on? they also must have been popped either as natives to an area or as units to a side.

or maybe it's part of a ludicrously complex ecosystem, garbage collected is placed in garbage dump hexes which the rats roam converting into organic waste which is then transported to other hexes as fertilizer. maybe those hexes are like ravenholme, no-one goes to ravenholme.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:07 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    moose o death wrote:
    no the fact walnuts exist in erfworld...then that they are called walnuts.

same for pidgeons and NOW rats. parson isn't even nearby for this one, erfworld has rats.

from the erf physics perspective garbage is cleaned up at the start of every turn so what would rats even survive on? they also must have been popped either as natives to an area or as units to a side.

or maybe it's part of a ludicrously complex ecosystem, garbage collected is placed in garbage dump hexes which the rats roam converting into organic waste which is then transported to other hexes as fertilizer. maybe those hexes are like ravenholme, no-one goes to ravenholme.

You're forgetting the chief overlaying premise here. According to the spell Wanda could search "Anywhere in all existence". That's a pretty open-to-interpretation idea. If there are [near] infinite existences, then Wanda found the version of Parson that exists in an existence (whoa...) that just happens to have the exact right versions of some words (as Stanley puts it, he speaks Language) and the exact right mismatches for other key words (eating marbits for breakfast) or concepts (gwiffons/peeps). That's how I always wrote off the freaky co-incidence - when your random sample size is infinity, and you have the perfect search engine, you will find the ultimate beneficial co-incidence you need. Sort of the "a million monkeys punching typewriter keys for a million years" idea, only without the million years.

If we REALLY want to stretch it (and no, I'm not advocating this particular argument, just exploring it for the flying boop of it), Parson could even be a figment of Wanda's imagination - her idea of what she would be looking for, including weird ways he could eat marbits and gwiffons - and the existence he was pulled from is her own twisted imagination. It's the old "am I a man dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?" debate, is Earth or Erfworld the true reality, and which is the fictional creation of the other? That's assuming, of course, that only one can be real, but Rob through his writing and Jamie through his art style between the two realities makes it pretty clear to me that both truly are real.

Order of the Stick #657

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:08 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    My guess about wildlife:

Hexes pop wildlife depending on the hex type. Some sort of Mountain hexes pop Dwagons. City Hexes pop rats and pigeons. Lowland hexes pop rabits et al.

Units can hunter/gather these wildlife units for food if they have the time/motivation. Maybe eating these things reduces upkeep?

Some wildlife units can be tamed - or are useful enough to be tamed. Once tamed they require upkeep.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:46 pm 
    Binty wrote:
    My guess about wildlife:

Hexes pop wildlife depending on the hex type. Some sort of Mountain hexes pop Dwagons. City Hexes pop rats and pigeons. Lowland hexes pop rabits et al.

Units can hunter/gather these wildlife units for food if they have the time/motivation. Maybe eating these things reduces upkeep?

Some wildlife units can be tamed - or are useful enough to be tamed. Once tamed they require upkeep.

initially i didn't see the first four words you said and thought what the hell rabbits? since when.

now i realise it's a theory.

secondly if we don't have wabbits, i'm calling shenenigans on dwagons, the entire w thing is essentially a golden setup for stanley to one day say "i have the marbitts out hunting wabbits" so parson can come back with "wascally wabbits?"

but back here in the the adultworld...
    Quote:
    Maybe eating these things reduces upkeep?
    is probably the best idea i've heard yet as to why erfworlders eat at points other than start of their turn. especially for barbarian units like jillian, she needs to maintain her purse for as long as possible so having units that can be feed on the hexes natural flora/fauna would be a boon if it reduced upkeep by a certain percentage. from what we know she's almost spent her whole purse now. so the gwiffons may disband before long.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:25 am 
    Correction. "I have the Mawbits out hunting wabbits." Assuming we're going with the "every r is a w" thing. Which, thankfully, Rob is not.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:03 am 
    Ah ha, this update was posted in site news again. Ha ha.

I've been enjoying these updates though, can't wait for more.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    64bitrobot wrote:
    Ah ha, this update was posted in site news again. Ha ha.

I've been enjoying these updates though, can't wait for more.

Argh. Fixed. :oops:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:06 pm 
    Don't worry, everybody makes mistakes.

http://mirita.mybrute.com

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:12 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Ragn Charran wrote:
    It's the old "am I a man dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?" debate, is Earth or Erfworld the true reality, and which is the fictional creation of the other? That's assuming, of course, that only one can be real, but Rob through his writing and Jamie through his art style between the two realities makes it pretty clear to me that both truly are real.
    Given a multiverse with a truly infinite number of universes, every universe would be someone's dream(s) in another.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm 
    I love the art for this update. :)

I can't taste key lime pie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Ragn Charran wrote:
    It's the old "am I a man dreaming I'm a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?" debate, is Earth or Erfworld the true reality, and which is the fictional creation of the other? That's assuming, of course, that only one can be real, but Rob through his writing and Jamie through his art style between the two realities makes it pretty clear to me that both truly are real.

[Epileptic-Sarcastic Tree]OBVIOUSLY, it's Hamstard dreaming that he's Parson, in the Erfworld universe. Any and all inconsistencies, bloopers, or other mistakes, including which section of the site it's to be posted, is because of a caged hamster's misunderstanding of the outside world. C'mon, guys.[/Tree]

I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:17 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    BarGamer wrote:
    Ragn Charran wrote:

[Epileptic-Sarcastic Tree]OBVIOUSLY, it's Hamstard dreaming that he's Parson, in the Erfworld universe. Any and all inconsistencies, bloopers, or other mistakes, including which section of the site it's to be posted, is because of a caged hamster's misunderstanding of the outside world. C'mon, guys.[/Tree]

The point is not that Erfworld is "just a dream". That's a boring old trope that I don't think our authors would stoop to. An infinite number of equally real universes will provide just what you are looking for, dreaming of, if you have the ability to find and get.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Bargamer wrote:

I'd say that theory is more logical than about 50% of the stuff I see bantered around. :lol:

Order of the Stick #657

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Goshen wrote:
    The point is not that Erfworld is "just a dream". That's a boring old trope that I don't think our authors would stoop to. An infinite number of equally real universes will provide just what you are looking for, dreaming of, if you have the ability to find and get.

Madness? THIS. IS. SARCASM! *Kicks you into the Sarchasm, at the bottom of which is lined with spiky spites.*
    PS: You're a Tool, right? So am I. Did you listen to that special Podcast in the Toolbox? I did. The very reason I used my "sarcastic epileptic tree" tags is because I knew my post was wrong, but I wanted to post the funny anyways. Man, I can't WAIT until the Internet supports telepathy...

I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:11 pm 
    can anyone explain to me why they're called "epileptic trees?"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 pm 
    I take no responsibility for the hours wasted once you click this link. Seriously. I'm just a messenger, here.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... epticTrees

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions