Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Posts: 526
Yahoo Messenger: grixit
Location: santa maria, ca
splintermute wrote:

Are all magic items subject to resizing? I know the eye-books are. Hats probably are too, to fit different wearers. It seems odd that Arkentools are subject to resizing, though - you would think, from their graphical depiction, that they're fixed, constant, absolute things


Early in Book 1, an undead fighter is about to attack Jillian when Ansom gets it with the Pliers. They are clearly shown lengthening by at least 2 feet to reach.

_________________
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:12 pm
    Posts: 88
    Carne wrote:
    There's no real evidence for any of the Arkentools as conscious entites. But, as you state above, the character bio states the Hammer likes Stanley, which is evidence of discernment*.


    DevilDan wrote:
    I forget, do we have Word of the Titans that the cast page was even canon?


    My portrayal of the Tools being sentient was based on my memory of Rob discussing the character bio in terms of it being true canon, and confirming that "Tools are people too". However, looking everywhere I can think of, I cannot find this conversation to quote, so maybe it was my faulty memory ascribing the certainty of Tool sentience to Word of the Titans, when perhaps it was merely another forum speculation I read.

    That being said, I stick to my point about "who can attune Arkentools?" speculation being moot, because I interpret "attunement" to be merely a manifestation of a particular Tool's choice. That's not a new stance for me...In the very early days of Book 1, before we had the benefit of separate Erfworld forums, the very first tinfoil hat theory I ever aired, before we had the insights into the characters that we now do, was the idea that the reason things were unfolding as they were (the RCC I set in motion, Stanley feeling compelled to conquer, Charlie getting involved, etc.) was because the Tools were working toward some unknown goal, putting their wielders on the move.

    Some of my reasoning may have been flawed or wishful thinking, like any good TFH theory, but nothing has happened throughout this whole time to deny it's possibility. Makes me all warm inside just thinking about it. lol

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 am
    Posts: 439
    Dr Pepper wrote:
    Early in Book 1, an undead fighter is about to attack Jillian when Ansom gets it with the Pliers. They are clearly shown lengthening by at least 2 feet to reach.

    When did that happen? Are you referring to page 71? Which panel shows them lengthening?

    That's not to say they can't lengthen, but if you could resize them that dramatically, why didn't he just stretch them out into a 20-foot pole and sweep across all the uncroaked on GK's outer wall? Would that have made them too unwieldy? Or too heavy? Does resizing an artifact/magic item change its mass?

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:04 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am
    Posts: 781
    Oberon wrote:
    What is your chance of rolling a 1 on a D6? 1/6, every single time. Once rolled and you're looking at a 1, what are the odds that you're looking at a 1? 100%, every single time. Determining what IS should be a trivial exercise for the bracer. "Am I a titan? "Am I a caster?" "Is Charlie from earth?", all of these have no waveform to collapse. They either are, or are not. There is no try.

    Was Charlie involved in GK not able to find wild gobwins? (Bracer has limited pool of knowledge to draw from in things that have already happenned, are true/false, we don't know what is in that pool)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm
    Posts: 1437
    Oberon wrote:
    . Determining what IS should be a trivial exercise for the bracer. "Am I a titan? "Am I a caster?" "Is Charlie from earth?", all of these have no waveform to collapse. They either are, or are not. There is no try.


    They either are, or are not. But the Bracer might not KNOW which is which.

    To continue the analogy - suppose I roll a D6, and then cover it up with a cup. And then I ask you "what's the probability that a 1 rolled?" Well, it either rolled, or didn't roll. But you don't know which, so you say 1/6.

    A probability is averaging over uncertainty in your knowledge, not just uncertainty in the state of the world itself.

    _________________
    For those in the USA: Have you wondered what you would do during in the civil rights movement, or in the 1930s?

    Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

    Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Balesir, Bing [Bot], Brianna Sollandry, cory_eicher, Enomed, Falcon X, greyswindle, Henning Makholm, Jorlem, Lady Aa, Madraven, mikenolan, Muneyoshi, Qaysed, rhs2042, Zamadaga and 17 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: