Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 317
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm 
Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
JadedDragoon wrote:
alowe wrote:
DeanXeL wrote:
A broken collar doesn't change anything about the portal topside working or not. To be honest, I even wonder what the collar is there for in the first place, and who placed 'em there.

Agreed. I have not seen or read anything in the comments or the comic that explains their purpose at all. Since the topside portal doesn't need them to function, they seem completely superfluous.

When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.

I can see that as a plot purpose but nothing you said sounds like a purpose within the story, to me. The topside portal gets its portal energy with or without the collar so, there you go. Mystery...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf
    alowe wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    When the portal collar is broken we get portal shards under bedrock. So that seems to be the purpose... somehow containing the portal energy and directing it.

I can see that as a plot purpose but nothing you said sounds like a purpose within the story, to me. The topside portal gets its portal energy with or without the collar so, there you go. Mystery...

Proposed fanon for the purpose of the portal collars: To reinforce joined sections of the portal columns that extend through the bedrock to the Erf surface. Removal of, or damage to the collar causes portal shards to be scattered into the bedrock.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Isaac Cosminov could very well be attempting to steel the Arkenhammer this update. He has the ability to see through other hexes and unlimited juice to do so. He could very well know that Stanley doesn't have the 'ammer on 'im.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Merilynne wrote:
    alowe wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

Proposed fanon for the purpose of the portal collars: To reinforce joined sections of the portal columns that extend through the bedrock to the Erf surface. Removal of, or damage to the collar causes portal shards to be scattered into the bedrock.

Nope, just sounds like a rewording of what JadedDragoon said. I'm not seeing even a hint of purpose.

It would be like saying that, the purpose of grass roots is to appear broken after the grass is cut, and that grass roots have no relation to the grass. It's meaningless.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 pm 
    This user is a Tool!
    Dan_the_Dirty wrote:
    Another awesome strip.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but the signamancy of the towers (temples?) themselves is incredibly ominous. The civilization that built the heads on Easter Island (at least in popular culture if not in fact) were ruined because all the resources spent building the heads left a once rich island a desolate wasteland. All this talk about tapping into the energy of the "source" makes me very concerned about the potential of a finite resource being exhausted. Remember that when Parson first saw the tower http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/54
    He remembers something about the islanders using their resources to build the towers and then dying out. Something similar could very well happen to Erfworld.

I cannot look at that last image of all the now exposed columns and what mysteries they can expose with anything except dread.

This has been debunked as a myth in archaeology for a while now. The culprits for deforestation was introduced rats.

http://theconversation.com/the-truth-ab ... mise-85563

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
    Jade wrote:
    If a topic is a dead horse, does that make us all Croakamancers? :D

Only if you first play the thread necromancy card.

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions