Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 am 
User avatar
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Offline
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm
Posts: 358
New One is up.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:00 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 2:09 pm
    Posts: 11
    I for one welcome Wanda's new, old hairstyle.

    Also, I look forward to Charlie, via Sammy, capturing Ansom and using it as ransom to make Jillian do what he wants.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:14 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 am
    Posts: 19
    FINALLY we get a look inside that skull of hers. I always thought we'd never get a look at Erf from Wanda's eyes.

    So she isn't really an utterly cold hearted bitch, but an unbearably fatalistic nutjob. Nice to know.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:49 am 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 am
    Posts: 439
    I'm just relieved that it was a helmet, and not her actual hair.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:54 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:41 am
    Posts: 8
    Location: Somewhere - Somewhen
    Well, we all knew wanda had a thing for Fate - but to see the true extent of it is somewhat fascinating. She does appear utterly resigned to the fact that her life is completely outside of her control. While some of this might be Genre Savvy on her part (After all, her life really -isnt- under her control, she's just much more aware of it than your average unit.) Some of it does beg the question - Was Wanda originally a Caster? Or was she something else? How, exactly, did the relationship between her and Jillian start? What was Wanda to Faq? A Castle servant? A very -young- caster? why was she allowed access to the Predictamancer?

    We know very, very little about Wanda and her relationship (Before Stanley anyway...) With Jillian - information which could be utterly vital.

    It is interesting to see that Wanda has been obviously paying attention to Parson's explanations on strategy and is apparently applying them, further cementing my own personal idea that Parson is becoming powerfully like Washington or Napoleon (Given Parson's somewhat amused arrogance, Im more inclined to think of him as Napoleon right now.). His Tactical MO Is being passed on to his commanders, who are applying his lessons in the field which makes them much more effective commanders.

    Wanda's practical order of people to be preserved (Herself, the commanders/casters and then everyone else) Reflects a typical Erfworld attitude towards the average unit.

    AS a longtime strategy gamer, things do not look particularly amazing for Wanda's atm, but the wild card is now firmly in Ansom/Jillians hands. Anything could happen there.

    Love really is a battlefield when the fate of everyone seems to ride on the hearts of two individuals.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:13 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm
    Posts: 210
    :shock: We got a look into Wanda's head? Oh man she is SO croked. (joke) I really never thought we would see inside her head until the end (of the story or of her). This actually is very much in-line with how I thought of Wanda. She actually DOES care, but hides it. This explains why she didn't show emotions before. She was botteling it up all inside. So how is she going to get back on the path fate wants her to be on? And what is that path leading too?

    Marshalle Ney wrote:
    We know very, very little about Wanda and her relationship (Before Stanley anyway...) With Jillian - information which could be utterly vital.


    We do have some info. ( http://www.erfworld.com/category/book-2 ... s/page/11/ ) Wanda and Jillian certainly had a ongoing relationship before FAaq fell.

    Marshalle Ney wrote:
    Wanda's practical order of people to be preserved (Herself, the commanders/casters and then everyone else) Reflects a typical Erfworld attitude towards the average unit.


    If Wanda goes there is a chance that all the decrypted go with her. Since many of the units there are decrypted Wanda's survival means their survival.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:41 am
    Posts: 8
    Location: Somewhere - Somewhen
    HandofShadows wrote:
    Marshalle Ney wrote:
    We know very, very little about Wanda and her relationship (Before Stanley anyway...) With Jillian - information which could be utterly vital.


    We do have some info. ( http://www.erfworld.com/category/book-2 ... s/page/11/ ) Wanda and Jillian certainly had a ongoing relationship before FAaq fell.

    Marshalle Ney wrote:
    Wanda's practical order of people to be preserved (Herself, the commanders/casters and then everyone else) Reflects a typical Erfworld attitude towards the average unit.


    If Wanda goes there is a chance that all the decrypted go with her. Since many of the units there are decrypted Wanda's survival means their survival.


    D'oh! I Forgot that page. Thankyew ser, for reminding me. I swear, I need to start keeping a flowchart like I did for Wheel of Time...

    As for the last, I was simply observing that Wanda had come to that conclusion along with the rest of us. But keep in mind that Wanda seems to fancy herself immortal, or at least, uncroakable until Fate is done with her. She also seems quite sure Fate -isnt- done with her.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:28 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:34 pm
    Posts: 42
    Website: http://www.simon-smith.org/index.html
    Location: Twickenham
    "principal"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:28 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 pm
    Posts: 94
    gotta say i love the art in this update,

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:32 am
    Posts: 8
    I like Sylvia too. We should see her more.
    And I like this update.

    But I don't like being cliffhangered every time there's an update :(

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am
    Posts: 193
    Interesting that Wanda feels physical pain when she deviates from her Fate. Could be psychosomatic, a curse or Fate magic itself - though on Erfworld these things aren't easily seperable.
    And a bit more about Sylvia.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am
    Posts: 199
    Smart move, Wanda. You're learning fast (but you've also got one hell of a teacher) . . .

    Here's what I'd suggest, though:

    Jack - Veil command units when they move out to take control of their stacks. Make them appear to be using mounts other than their assigned ones - maybe even make it seem that there are more high-value units than there actually are. (Possibly illusory copies of Wanda/Jack/Sylvia/Ossomer/etc?)

    Sylvia - No idea what she is offhand, so no idea what she'd do. (Warlord? Caster? If caster, what type?)

    Ossomer - Give him command of a heavy Dwagon stack or two, use it to screen Wanda's in case enemy fliers break through the forward picket line (the blues and pinks assigned to interception duty).

    Wanda - If she survives, decrypt any enemy units that were croaked in an attack on the GK airforce, then fall back to join Ansom's troops at the bridge (provided they survive). If Ansom and his troops don't survive, decrypt any coraked enemy units, then have them fall back to the nearest allied position.

    _________________
    The strength of our future lies in our past.
    -VNV Nation

    There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
    -Sun-tzu, The Art of War

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm
    Posts: 117
    "Hi, we're screwed... any ideas on how to not die?"

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:02 am 
    User avatar
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm
    Posts: 498
    Update!

    1. The hair is gone. Long live the hair!

    2. Her recollection of her encounter with Ansom was very interesting. She seems to have invited death, just to see if the Titans would let her die. Maybe she's suffered a lot more than we know. She might have welcomed death, but still seems determined to carry on.

    3. Her speech to her commanders was interesting too. "Let's hear some ideas." And saying it made her a little afraid. Sounds like she's not used to giving up control, but nevertheless she is trying to improve, to use any and all means at her disposal to prevail. Including asking for advice.

    BCCroaker wrote:
    Interesting that Wanda feels physical pain when she deviates from her Fate. Could be psychosomatic, a curse or Fate magic itself


    This I thought also was very noteworthy. I wonder if she really is experiencing Fate, or if she's just sick with worry and interpreting it as a message from the Titans. I wonder if many other Erfworlders do the same thing: interpret their own emotions -- love, loyalty, friendship, hate -- as mandated by the Titans.

    _________________
    "Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

    I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

    Avatar hoarked from PS238.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:55 am 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am
    Posts: 63
    The Black Hand wrote:
    Sylvia - No idea what she is offhand, so no idea what she'd do. (Warlord? Caster? If caster, what type?)


    Sylvia is the Warlord Formerly Known As Scarlet.

    The Black Hand wrote:
    Jack - Veil command units when they move out to take control of their stacks. Make them appear to be using mounts other than their assigned ones - maybe even make it seem that there are more high-value units than there actually are. (Possibly illusory copies of Wanda/Jack/Sylvia/Ossomer/etc?)


    This. Mount a few --say 11 -- archons, probably low-level ones, on dwagons. Veil two as Ossomer, two as Sylvia, three as Jack, and four as Wanda. Engage at will until it's GK's turn again, then reevaluate situation. If Jillian's not back in garrison, it might well be worth it to perform a surgical strike on Jetstone tower. If she is, then best bet is probably to run back to whatever's left of Ansom's column and decide whether or not to begin a real siege.

    _________________
    "It matters not how strait the gait,
    how charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    --William Ernest Henley, Invictus

    Avatar by SteveMB

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 am 
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am
    Posts: 199
    Jorgath wrote:
    The Black Hand wrote:
    Sylvia - No idea what she is offhand, so no idea what she'd do. (Warlord? Caster? If caster, what type?)


    Sylvia is the Warlord Formerly Known As Scarlet.


    All right. With that known, here's a revised order of battle:

    Jack - Veil command units when they move out to take control of their stacks. Make them appear to be using mounts other than their assigned ones - make it seem that there are more high-value units than there actually are by veiling archons as copies of Wanda/Ossomer/Sylvia/himself. Maybe even make it seem that Ossomer's with the interceptors, Wanda and Sylvia are with the heavy defense stacks, and Jack is in the top stack.

    Sylvia - Give her command of one of the interceptor stacks, with Decrypted Archons leading the rest (veiled as Wanda/Ossomer/Jack/herself). Use them as a forward picket line to engage enemy gwiffons/megalogwiffs sent in to croak/capture Wanda. Have them engage the gwiffons first, take out as many of them as possible, and engage the megalogwiffs if they manage to croak all of the gwiffons. Otherwise, let Ossomer deal with the megalogwiffs and any surviving gwiffons.

    Ossomer - Give him command of a heavy Dwagon stack or two, use it to screen Wanda's stack. Have them engage any gwiffons/megalogwiffs that break through the picket line and keep them away from Wanda.

    Wanda - KEEP MOBILE! Moving targets are harder to hit. Engage only if directly threatened, otherwise act as bait; lure enemy fliers into engagements with interceptor and heavy defender stacks.

    If Wanda survives, she should decrypt as many allied and enemy units as possible, then fall back to join Ansom's troops at the bridge (provided they survive).

    If Ansom and his troops don't survive and the hex is clear, Wanda should decrypt any croaked enemy units, then have them fall back to the nearest allied position. If the hex isn't clear, don't bother with decryption; just fall back to the nearest allied position.

    _________________
    The strength of our future lies in our past.
    -VNV Nation

    There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
    -Sun-tzu, The Art of War

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm
    Posts: 1247
    Sigh, too bad I go to sea soon and won't be able to read updates for maybe months at a time.

    Ahh well,

    Good look into Wanda's head. One of the best updates ever for erfworld.

    _________________
    Unbreakable. Does not receive leadership penalties, Loyalty, or morale hits due to delays, imperfections, vacations, breaks, filler days, or retcons. All such debuffs, if somehow applied, are reduced to 0. - ShaneTheBrain

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am
    Posts: 381
    Location: Tatooine
    Hmm, that was interesting Wanda realizing she has screwed up. From the update Silvia fans can rejoice because it seems that she will live to fight another day. I guess Wanda was taught to "Know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run." If ever there was a time to run that I do not know when one is.

    _________________
    I came, I saw, I had fun!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:47 am 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 am
    Posts: 439
    The Black Hand wrote:
    All right. With that known, here's a revised order of battle:

    Jack - Veil command units when they move out to take control of their stacks. Make them appear to be using mounts other than their assigned ones - make it seem that there are more high-value units than there actually are by veiling archons as copies of Wanda/Ossomer/Sylvia/himself. Maybe even make it seem that Ossomer's with the interceptors, Wanda and Sylvia are with the heavy defense stacks, and Jack is in the top stack.

    Sylvia - Give her command of one of the interceptor stacks, with Decrypted Archons leading the rest (veiled as Wanda/Ossomer/Jack/herself). Use them as a forward picket line to engage enemy gwiffons/megalogwiffs sent in to croak/capture Wanda. Have them engage the gwiffons first, take out as many of them as possible, and engage the megalogwiffs if they manage to croak all of the gwiffons. Otherwise, let Ossomer deal with the megalogwiffs and any surviving gwiffons.

    Ossomer - Give him command of a heavy Dwagon stack or two, use it to screen Wanda's stack. Have them engage any gwiffons/megalogwiffs that break through the picket line and keep them away from Wanda.

    Wanda - KEEP MOBILE! Moving targets are harder to hit. Engage only if directly threatened, otherwise act as bait; lure enemy fliers into engagements with interceptor and heavy defender stacks.

    If Wanda survives, she should decrypt as many allied and enemy units as possible, then fall back to join Ansom's troops at the bridge (provided they survive).

    If Ansom and his troops don't survive and the hex is clear, Wanda should decrypt any croaked enemy units, then have them fall back to the nearest allied position. If the hex isn't clear, don't bother with decryption; just fall back to the nearest allied position.


    This would be a fantastic plan, if there were any enemy fliers to engage. However Jillian has stated outright that she won't attack Wanda, meaning the only enemy flier threat is Jetstone's small pool of orlies and unipegataurs, which can be dealt with effortlessly (and which, if decrypted, can provide another layer of screening).

    The real threat is RCC II archers - if Slately ever manages to get any of Tramennis' or Sammy's troops withdrawn to the capital, they can pick off GK with impunity, without fear of counterattack (see the archons above the GK courtyard in book 1). Your advice for Jack and Wanda is pretty good, but the rest should pretty much be relegated to human shields.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 pm 
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:45 pm
    Posts: 42
    I looked back at Wanda's encounter with Ansom, and I couldn't find anywhere that she literally said "Seal my Fate. Seal yours." I guess she was just paraphrasing.

    Very interesting to see her opinion on Ossomer. "It was as if...someone had gone down to the larder and promoted a side of beef." Great line. :D

    Also: hair helmet. :mrgreen:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], boredgods, cymruvoodoo, Google [Bot], ig0r, jdale, mbellish, munsko, Sir Dr D and 5 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: