Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 pm 
So, it is Jetstone's turn. Will Ansom survive? Ossomer? Wanda most certainly. Ah, riddles in the dark.

I quite like the bit about Philosopher-Kings.^^

Urf wrote:
Quote:
"I just mean... I'm not a fool," said Tramennis, trying again to turn to face Antium more fully. "I take the world as I find it. But it's hard to accept this as the best of all possible worlds. And if it isn't, then why isn't it? Could the Titans do no better?"

The Duke shook his head. "I don't know, Highness."

"You know what I've always thought?" said Tramennis. "I've always suspected that perhaps it's up to us to improve upon it."

"Improve...upon the Titans' work?" said the Duke dubiously. "Highness, we are the Titans' work."

"I know! But perhaps that's the real test. Perhaps they want--"

--us to use the Arkentools to build a better Erfworld.

And this^^ I REALLY like >D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 pm 
    Yahoo Messenger: grixit
    Lawd wrote:
    Ah, Adam and the Ants. And more reasons for me to like Tramennis. I look forward seeing him leading a battle.
    Liked the theological discussion too. Dwagon goo seems to last for one turn.

And adamantium as well. Multi layered puns are the most efficient form of stageamancy. The Duke is both stylish and tough.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lord 0 wrote:
    warriortribble wrote:
    I am a bit surprised no one was trying to remove some of that dwagon gunk from Tramennis.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that noone bothered because a) they were all gonna die and b) even if they weren't, it would disappear anyway at the end of turn and c) it is possible that it is *impossible* to remove that particular root effect (or any other root effect or certain effects) without the correct counter. The world does seem based on a game, and generally in games this sort of status modifier must be either waited out or removed with the correct counter.
    A. I find that when people are in hopeless/high stress situations like imminent death they either mentally shut down, or try to ignore their situation by keeping themselves busy, helping someone out would be one possibility. Not to mention even without all that, Duty should compel someone to help their leader.

B. That's true, but Tramennis was in an awkward, probably uncomfortable, and ignoble position. Courtesy (not to mention again Duty) should have made the soldiers try to assist him.

C. It's certainly possible like you said. Though my speculation is that at the very least, their Healomancer should have been able to remove the negative status effect.
    Lord 0 wrote:
    One last thing - is there anything that explicitly says Turnamancers have the ability to turn units? The only thing I can find is that update where Jillan says the turnomancer did "good work in the dungeon", but does she mean "The turnomancer was necessary for this to happen at all" or does she mean "Turning him would have taken lots of turns, but the turnomancer reduced this to only taking a few turns"? After all, it explicitly says that having a turnomancer can reduce the number of turns before something pops so it seems less of a stretch than altering somone's loyalty - especially since Turnomancy is Motion only.
    "Good work in the dungeon" sounds like Vanna was the one responsible for turning. If she only accelerated the process, then the text would've probably stated something like "her assistance accelerated a rather unpleasant chore." to avoid confusion.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:11 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    What if the pink dwagon goo is contagious, and it roots the target and anyone who comes in contact with him? That might explain why no-one tried to help him.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:36 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    I wonder how someone of Trammenis's mental makeup would fare under decrypting. So far they only characters we've known before and after at all are Ansom and Ossomer plus Scarlet whom we know a little bit about due to the text update. In Ansom's case, he doesn't seem to have actually changed character as much as he's changed allegiance. We didn't know that much about Ossomer before not a lot now, but it seems similar. Scarlet's a little more complicated, but we definitely haven't seen anyone like Trammenis undergo it. If Ansom is having doubts, or at least dissatisfaction, Trammenis might be really interesting.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:40 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    warriortribble wrote:
    Lord 0 wrote:
    One last thing - is there anything that explicitly says Turnamancers have the ability to turn units? The only thing I can find is that update where Jillan says the turnomancer did "good work in the dungeon", but does she mean "The turnomancer was necessary for this to happen at all" or does she mean "Turning him would have taken lots of turns, but the turnomancer reduced this to only taking a few turns"? After all, it explicitly says that having a turnomancer can reduce the number of turns before something pops so it seems less of a stretch than altering somone's loyalty - especially since Turnomancy is Motion only.
    "Good work in the dungeon" sounds like Vanna was the one responsible for turning. If she only accelerated the process, then the text would've probably stated something like "her assistance accelerated a rather unpleasant chore." to avoid confusion.

Yes, I think it's clear that Vanna did the actual turning there, but is what Wanda does the same thing? Jillian even thinks that Vanna isn't as good as Wanda, at least in style if not substance. Maybe it's something anyone can do, or any caster.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 am 
    Excellent, more Trem. More quality Trem at that - I already liked him alot, and I like him more with every update. It is comforting to see at least some units really have pondered the why of Erfworld, outside of Parson. (Also some nice references there)

The bit about it being up to them to improve it is also interesting, and somewhat opposed to all the fate talk and you do what you do mindset of guys like Wriggly. Not like Charlie perhaps, and not like anyone else.

I hope Trem doesn't have a chance to talk to the Titan's to soon (since that would mean he was dead), but I hope he gets answers one day. That, or gets to have a chat with Parson. Maybe with Charlie also joining in the talk.

Hehe, and nice to see even a world like Erf has its difference in religion and philosophy (beyond Toolism vs. monarchy). Scorists? :D

And it seems dwagon pop goo lasts a turn. I imagine it might be possible for a caster to remove it, but otherwise it is a good way to take a strong opponent out for a turn. I guess it balances since pinks are one of the weaker dwagon types, and it looks like they need to get pretty close to goo someone.

Urf wrote:
    --us to use the Arkentools to build a better Erfworld.

That is a good point.

Although then again the arkentools (to some of the attuned at least) aren't necessarily attuned to people on merit, but fate, so it wouldn't be up to most of Erfworld's citizens to use the Arkentools to build a better Erf. That it would be up to Stanley, Wanda and Charlie (who is smart and competent, but also very mercenary and pro-status quo it seems) to use the Arkentools to build a better world is kind of scary.

emo samurai wrote:
    So THAT'S who the narrator of Discworld is.

:D

Dancingrage wrote:
    This text update indeed seals his status in my mind as the brightest spark in Jetstone. I highly doubt anyone else would have even tried to enter such a philosphical mindset as they're waiting for death, let alone be on the verge of apostasy over it, but it's pulled off very very well. This also shows that Tramennis is probably one of the few who have the sort of wild, out-of-the-box thinking to have a hope in hell of taking on Parson and not being made to look a complete fool.

Indeed, and we have already gotten a bit of a look at Slatley's mind set. Granted, not quite so close to death, be he certainly seems to think different to Trem.

Flyer wrote:
    What I found most interesting and surpising, in this update was that the RCII turn started right after the sudden end of GK's turn... i was expecting some more action before it started - Faq, Charlie, Hagar --- something :shock: - very bad news for GK

Well Haggar and Faq are allied with Jetstone, so for some other side to take a turn would require them there and not turning with the RCCII (and coming before them in the turn order). If Charlie had been there his turn would have come before GK's anyway.

Lord 0 wrote:
    One last thing - is there anything that explicitly says Turnamancers have the ability to turn units? The only thing I can find is that update where Jillan says the turnomancer did "good work in the dungeon",

It went like this -

"That level 6 Jitterati warlord, Duncan Scone, was now her best fighter. Vanna had done some good work to turn him, but the dungeon didn't much interest Jillian. Vanna didn't really know how to play right."

I think it could be a reasonable theory that turning a captured unit is a matter of holding them for a number of turns dependent on things like their old loyalty, and things like working them over in the dungeon or using a Turnamancer could reduce that time, and also help with their new loyalty.

Some units might be quite hard to turn, or so hard it is as good as impossible.

SkarmoryThePG wrote:
    I think what the Turnamancy spell did, was suspend Gobwin Knob's turn. It'll resume after the Turnamancer's side and allies are done. But that'll be a lot of pain to dish out in the so-called meanwhilst.

Although that could be messy as well. GK's turn finishes half way through, RCCII has its turn, GK finishes its turn, then since there are no other sides about GK starts its next turn.

So in effect it would be breaking up GK's turn, useful for messing with their maneuvers and helping your forces get into a better position and do some fighting, but they would also be essentially making it so the enemy has one and a half turns at once in this battle.

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:
    "I've lived quite a long time, for a Prince of Jetstone."
    I wonder how many heirs Slatley have pooped, I guess it were more than three.

And how many brothers Slately would have had. It does make it sound like Jetstone princes live fast and die young.

Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:59 am 
    BLANDCorporatio wrote:
    Heh. The world is cruel and in need of improvement only when it's kicking you in the face. Very realistic and utilitarian,

To be fair to Trem I doubt it is something that only came to him just now. Presumably it would have been something he'd have pondered even when his side was out kicking other people in the face and the fall of Jetstone was hard to imagine.

Quote:
    So is Tremennis speaking of crossing the bridge (folly?) or partially returning to Spacerock (more like)? We'll finally see him in action and even though I don't like the character still, that would be a nice thing.

I imagine the intelligent thing to do would be to stick to the plan - it was always about holding at the bridge and then falling back at the start of Jetstone's turn. Things haven't changed to much, only now there are dozens of dwagons in Spacerock, and he still wouldn't know much about GK's forces on the other side of the bridge.

Plus, now that it is Jetstone's turn we might get to see how/if Trem becomes heir.

Quote:
    Also,

Will Wanda survive? (yes)

Will Jack survive? (most like)

Will Scarlet get her moment of glory? (I sure hope so!)

Agreed.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:30 am 
    splintermute wrote:
    What if the pink dwagon goo is contagious, and it roots the target and anyone who comes in contact with him? That might explain why no-one tried to help him.

I assumed that this was the case -- when Tremannis first got gooed, he quickly warned Ossomer away from trying to assist him, although that may have been because he anticipated another sneak attack. I really do hope Slately names Tremannis as heir and then croaks. He's the first person we've seen (other than perhaps Charlie) who I believe thinks like Parson. The idea of the new head of the RCC2 being someone who is quite openly agnostic on the whole "Titans' Plan" thing is very encouraging.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 am 
    Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
    To be fair to Trem I doubt it is something that only came to him just now. Presumably it would have been something he'd have pondered even when his side was out kicking other people in the face and the fall of Jetstone was hard to imagine.

I wonder if Trem's unconventional ideas about the Titans and Erfworld religion are connected to the fact that he was neither the heir nor the chief warlord, despite being (IIRC) the oldest brother and also (IMO) the cleverest. I imagine Slately would take a dim view of Trem's doubts about the Titans' will, to say nothing of pre-Decryption Ansom and Ossomer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:25 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
    I imagine the intelligent thing to do would be to stick to the plan - it was always about holding at the bridge and then falling back at the start of Jetstone's turn. Things haven't changed to much, only now there are dozens of dwagons in Spacerock, and he still wouldn't know much about GK's forces on the other side of the bridge.

Plus, now that it is Jetstone's turn we might get to see how/if Trem becomes heir.

Not sure, he may have gotten a good enough look to get a stab at what kind of forces are on the otherside of the bridge... then there's the question of whether or not the flash mob continues after GK's turn ends... and one thing that Trem does know is the all the dwagons, along with ossomer, wanda, the foolamncer, and a number of warlords are not with GK's ground forces... the ground forces might still have ansom, but they may be seriously be lacking in terms of bonus right now. If they thought they could hold off ansom before, they stand a greater chance even now

However, he will likely get word from his father that dwagons are still in the capitol and an active threat... So Trem may either take the whole column back to the capitol, or just send all their anti-air units along with a healthy dose of warlords... it could also depend on what Haggar will do. Slately seemed to think he could convince Dickie to join the fight even though he knew full well what haggar intended to do, and if he can, then trem would not need to send any forces back to the capitol and can concentrate on GK's forces at the bridge

Looking to the bridge, does sound like they are gonna cross and attack... though it could mean that trem is just thinking of what those forces will have to look forward to next turn

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:36 am 
    atalex wrote:
    I wonder if Trem's unconventional ideas about the Titans and Erfworld religion are connected to the fact that he was neither the heir nor the chief warlord, despite being (IIRC) the oldest brother and also (IMO) the cleverest. I imagine Slately would take a dim view of Trem's doubts about the Titans' will, to say nothing of pre-Decryption Ansom and Ossomer.

That is quite possible I imagine. It would mean he'd have had plenty of free time on his hands for thinking and learning, much like Parson after he was stood down as Chief Warlord.

Now I wonder though if Trem is Jetstone's first royal heir popped (which means he should have been heir for a time) or whether he is simply the oldest surviving son of Slately, which means he might never have been heir (since others might have come before him and when they died it fell to Ansom).

MonteCristo wrote:
    Not sure, he may have gotten a good enough look to get a stab at what kind of forces are on the otherside of the bridge... then there's the question of whether or not the flash mob continues after GK's turn ends...

Good point. I'd guess it has ended (either naturally or Wanda had the Archons stop), since it seems the Jetstone forces were able to see Wanda have Oss killed and decrypted.

Plus till a moment ago he was fairly sure he and his forces were as good as disbanded because Slately was good as dead. Now he has time I guess he will want to do something, anything, to protect Slately somewhat, which would require sending at least some forces to Spacerock (unless he thinks the dwagons are no longer a threat).

Quote:
    However, he will likely get word from his father that dwagons are still in the capitol and an active threat... So Trem may either take the whole column back to the capitol, or just send all their anti-air units along with a healthy dose of warlords... it could also depend on what Haggar will do. Slately seemed to think he could convince Dickie to join the fight even though he knew full well what haggar intended to do, and if he can, then trem would not need to send any forces back to the capitol and can concentrate on GK's forces at the bridge

Although Haggar is still presumably half a turn away (however that applies), so Trem will still have time do something before they arrive. I wonder what Slately's plan was to keep Haggar in line... was he hoping they'd come upon the scene of Jetstone and GK in full battle, with Wanda decrypting the fallen, and it would shame/scare Haggar into remaining with Jetstone against Wanda's forces?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Pax wrote:
    Chadim wrote:
    I could well imagine Tramennis in a discussion with the Titans. I must say I like him a lot more in
    this update than previously.

Ditto.

Gone is the wise-crackign thirteen year old brat. In his place is ... someone who might grow to be a Philosopher-King?

Someone Parson will absolutely, definitely, positively want (and perhaps NEED), to sit down with, some day, for the Conversation to End All Conversations.

Ya know what, this is absolutely spot on. If this kind of thing goes on, even I will have to rethink my attitude to the character. How did that happen?

No, he's got too many fans ... must ... stay ... curmudgeonly!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:32 am 
    hmmm scriptures. Is Rob planning a book? :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Consult the Book of Awwmoments!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
    Plus till a moment ago he was fairly sure he and his forces were as good as disbanded because Slately was good as dead. Now he has time I guess he will want to do something, anything, to protect Slately somewhat, which would require sending at least some forces to Spacerock (unless he thinks the dwagons are no longer a threat).

Well i do expect that he will contact the Slately or wait for a message from him before he moves as he would want to know their status on what happened... frankly i feel like it would really suck if Jillian and charlie went through the trouble to make this unexpect twist happen, only for Trem to screw it up by attacking the wrong forces

Quote:
    Quote:

Although Haggar is still presumably half a turn away (however that applies), so Trem will still have time do something before they arrive. I wonder what Slately's plan was to keep Haggar in line... was he hoping they'd come upon the scene of Jetstone and GK in full battle, with Wanda decrypting the fallen, and it would shame/scare Haggar into remaining with Jetstone against Wanda's forces?

Actually Haggar's distance from Spacerock is pretty irrelevant... recall, the summer update about how "time" works in erfworld. it's wierd.
    It takes little to no time at all for units to travel from hex to hex as perceived by the hex they are arriving in... If Trem is 5 hexes away from the captiol, and Haggar is 10 hexes away, even if it took them a hour to cross each hex, to those in the capitol Trem would be back in the in less than 5 minutes, while Haggar would be their in less than 10 minutes... hell if haggar could cover the remaining distance in just 1 hour, he'd be at spacerock in a minute (half-hour per hex was just an example parson was using)

Ya not sure what slately was thinking... he either is making bold assumptions about dickie, or he does know something about the way dickie thinks that we are not taking into account.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    two things
    1) when did they get folding chairs? Didn't Parson mention wanting to make one durring the summer updates?
    2) Considering a units move, why can't Tramennis do both? If he has the move to attack across the bridge and then retreat back to spacerock, why wouldn't he? If I could hit and destroy the ground force with little loss and still get back to Spacerockto fight, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thats assumeing his units have enough move to do that, which might not be true. still, its a point that should be examined.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm 
    mindsword wrote:
    two things
    2) Considering a units move, why can't Tramennis do both? If he has the move to attack across the bridge and then retreat back to spacerock, why wouldn't he? If I could hit and destroy the ground force with little loss and still get back to Spacerockto fight, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thats assumeing his units have enough move to do that, which might not be true. still, its a point that should be examined.

That would only take three move (one to cross the bridge, two to return to Spacerock) so it should definitely be an option. In addition, with the Dittomancer and archers to support the flying FAQ units, the Jetstone forces will have the edge. They could even replace the weaker FAQ gwiffon riders with Tram and high level Jetstone noble warlords. In theory, I believe they could even have the FAQ units attack Ansom's column and then return as the GK units cannot attack unless they are attacked.

Haggar is a wildcard. Currently, they move at the same turn as Jetstone at they are in the RCCII. I believe that if they break alliance, then they revert to normal turn order. I also believe that if their turn is prior to Jetstone then they would move first (I think this was Jillian's first plan to break alliance and have Wanda's force join FAQ). Thus, if Haggar moves before Jetstone, they could break alliance with RCCII and form an alliance with GK. This would allow the Haggar/GK alliance to conquer Spacerock with (I believe) not allowing Jetstone to act.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    warriortribble wrote:
    C. It's certainly possible like you said. Though my speculation is that at the very least, their Healomancer should have been able to remove the negative status effect

It does seem like a Healomancer would probably be able to get rid of the pink goop, but there are plenty of reasons why Jetstone's healamancer may not have.

1. To put it simply, Rob may not have thought about that possibility. But even if it's true, I don't like that option, so lets move on to the next idea.

2. Jetstone's Healomancer may not be of a high enough class or level to pull off the necessary spell.

3. Perhaps if the goo does no actual damage, healamancy has no effect over it. Kind of sort of maybe similar to how a Healomancer probably wouldn't have been much help fixing Wanda or Jack when their minds were broken.

4. Maybe it couldn't cast any spells because no enemies were in the hex. There is evidence that some (or most/all) spells can't be cast off turn unless there are enemies.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:20 pm 
    cloudbreaker wrote:
    It does seem like a Healomancer would probably be able to get rid of the pink goop, but there are plenty of reasons why Jetstone's healamancer may not have.
    1. To put it simply, Rob may not have thought about that possibility. But even if it's true, I don't like that option, so lets move on to the next idea.
    2. Jetstone's Healomancer may not be of a high enough class or level to pull off the necessary spell.
    3. Perhaps if the goo does no actual damage, healamancy has no effect over it. Kind of sort of maybe similar to how a Healomancer probably wouldn't have been much help fixing Wanda or Jack when their minds were broken.
    4. Maybe it couldn't cast any spells because no enemies were in the hex. There is evidence that some (or most/all) spells can't be cast off turn unless there are enemies.

5. The healomancer was saving his juice. Since it was the enemy's turn, an attack may occur at any time. The goo does no damage, and if the units still retain the warlord bonus w/ the goo on, there's no reason to remove it immediately. Better to have the goo on and have juice to heal him than to free him, only to watch him die because you couldn't heal him any more...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions