Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:31 pm 
Year of the Dwagon Supporter
Mmm ... scorism. I want to be a scorist!

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:50 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Hmmm. Something from way, way back has me thinking. Jillian was very annoyed by her father, who she referred to as a "philosopher-king". I know this is an actual term from history, but the way it was presented also made it sound like an Erfworld "trait" of some kings, almost as a separate subtype of unit. Ever since I've wonder if Royal Heirs always pop as either Warrior or Philosopher, with Philosophers being rarer. If that's true, I think Tramennis and Slately both qualify - even if Slately is a complete toad of one. Don King, too. Vinnie, Ceasar, Ansom, Ossomer would all fall into the Warrior side. I would guess warrior-kings live shorter lives, or warrior-queens in the case of our friend Jillian.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Quote:
    "I just mean... I'm not a fool," said Tramennis, trying again to turn to face Antium more fully. "I take the world as I find it. But it's hard to accept this as the best of all possible worlds. And if it isn't, then why isn't it? Could the Titans do no better?"

The Duke shook his head. "I don't know, Highness."

"You know what I've always thought?" said Tramennis. "I've always suspected that perhaps it's up to us to improve upon it."

"Improve...upon the Titans' work?" said the Duke dubiously. "Highness, we are the Titans' work."

"I know! But perhaps that's the real test. Perhaps they want--"

--us to use the Arkentools to build a better Erfworld.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 pm 
    Wyvern wrote:
    Lawd wrote:
    Justyn wrote:
    I bet Adam Antium is really tough.

I am too used to seeing music references in Erfworld, that I didn't see adamantium but did see a British band. Hm, well I usually call the stuff adamantine anyway.

I feel silly now after noticing "adamantium", but...am I the only person who thought of Atom Ant?

Well, Adam and the Ants was a pun on Atom Ant which in turn was a pun on adamant, the root word from which both adamantine and adamantium spring, so it's all good.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:55 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Sinrus wrote:
    Slately popped his heirs. He didn't poop them.

I hope.

It would explain why he looks so constipated.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 pm 
    khyron42 wrote:
    Hmmm. Something from way, way back has me thinking. Jillian was very annoyed by her father, who she referred to as a "philosopher-king". I know this is an actual term from history, but the way it was presented also made it sound like an Erfworld "trait" of some kings, almost as a separate subtype of unit. Ever since I've wonder if Royal Heirs always pop as either Warrior or Philosopher, with Philosophers being rarer. If that's true, I think Tramennis and Slately both qualify - even if Slately is a complete toad of one. Don King, too. Vinnie, Ceasar, Ansom, Ossomer would all fall into the Warrior side. I would guess warrior-kings live shorter lives, or warrior-queens in the case of our friend Jillian.

my guess, completely a product of wishful thinking, is that philosepher kings are royals/heirs/warlords that almost became casters. as in, if they hadn't been royal they would have been casters not warlords. this leading into jillians heir turning out to be a royal caster. no it has been mentioned before, and there is not alot of forshadowing for it, but it would still be cool

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    khyron42 wrote:
    Hmmm. Something from way, way back has me thinking. Jillian was very annoyed by her father, who she referred to as a "philosopher-king". I know this is an actual term from history, but the way it was presented also made it sound like an Erfworld "trait" of some kings, almost as a separate subtype of unit.

Anywhere but Erfworld, I'd say that that such a polarized (yes/no) description doesn't make much sense. But in a world with visible stats and a viable belief in "Scorism", I guess it's possible. Still, I think it's more of a continuum, like it is with personalities in our world - some people tend to think more abstractly (when circumstances allow), and others tend to think more concretely, and there are various degees in between.

Tremennis in this update reminds me a lot of Miles Vorkosigan - and not just because of the height thing. He has a similar conversational style, running to whimsical tangents and then returning abruptly with an apology. And he gives a damn about both the physical and emotional state of his troops.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm 
    So THAT'S who the narrator of Discworld is.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:51 pm 
    Tramennis already showed gobs of promise in his first appearance in the comic, with a good run of chatter, a wicked sense of humor, and very likely the most intelligent of all of Jetstone's royalty.

This text update indeed seals his status in my mind as the brightest spark in Jetstone. I highly doubt anyone else would have even tried to enter such a philosphical mindset as they're waiting for death, let alone be on the verge of apostasy over it, but it's pulled off very very well. This also shows that Tramennis is probably one of the few who have the sort of wild, out-of-the-box thinking to have a hope in hell of taking on Parson and not being made to look a complete fool.

And as I suspect Tramennis and Parson would have all sorts of long and entertaining discussions on the nature of Erf, life, and everything else, were they to meet, I have a sneaking suspicion they'll get to do exactly that at some point. How? No clue but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to find that whatever Tramennis has knocking around in his noggin would be the key to kicking Parson out of his post-win slump.

Oh, and howdy, I finally got registered on these forums from the OOTS ones!

Odd thought: What would Tramennis think of how Parson gave Stanley his nickname and what it REALLY meant....

Last edited by Dancingrage on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:53 pm 
    Tramennis and Parson need to have a chat. Janis should organize this.

Last edited by Gez on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:00 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Chadim wrote:
    I could well imagine Tramennis in a discussion with the Titans. I must say I like him a lot more in
    this update than previously.

Ditto.

Gone is the wise-crackign thirteen year old brat. In his place is ... someone who might grow to be a Philosopher-King?

Someone Parson will absolutely, definitely, positively want (and perhaps NEED), to sit down with, some day, for the Conversation to End All Conversations.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:05 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    What I found most interesting and surpising, in this update was that the RCII turn started right after the sudden end of GK's turn... i was expecting some more action before it started - Faq, Charlie, Hagar --- something :shock: - very bad news for GK

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:26 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I am a bit surprised no one was trying to remove some of that dwagon gunk from Tramennis.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:47 pm 
    corny, but I don't care, it needs to be said:

"Today is a new day so up and at 'em, Adam Ant...ium!"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:35 pm 
    Flyer wrote:
    What I found most interesting and surpising, in this update was that the RCII turn started right after the sudden end of GK's turn... i was expecting some more action before it started - Faq, Charlie, Hagar --- something :shock: - very bad news for GK

Charlie's turn is before GK's. Faq and Haggar are in the RCC2.

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:40 pm 
    At least we know how the bubblegum works. When the side of the Pink Dwagon ends turn, it dissolves. Yay.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    theseus2x wrote:
    At least we know how the bubblegum works. When the side of the Pink Dwagon ends turn, it dissolves. Yay.

Or maybe, the goo dissolves when the victim's turn begins, along with healing and cleansing. In this case, the end of GK's turn coincided with the start of Jetstone's.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:29 pm 
    warriortribble wrote:
    I am a bit surprised no one was trying to remove some of that dwagon gunk from Tramennis.

It might simply not be possible.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:04 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit
    million zillion wrote:
    theseus2x wrote:

Or maybe, the goo dissolves when the victim's turn begins, along with healing and cleansing. In this case, the end of GK's turn coincided with the start of Jetstone's.

It would be pretty nasty then if you got hit with it on the last turn and had to stay that way all night.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:39 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    warriortribble wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all that noone bothered because a) they were all gonna die and b) even if they weren't, it would disappear anyway at the end of turn and c) it is possible that it is *impossible* to remove that particular root effect (or any other root effect or certain effects) without the correct counter. The world does seem based on a game, and generally in games this sort of status modifier must be either waited out or removed with the correct counter.

What I hope to see (although I really doubt it will happen) is for Tramennis to somehow end up on the same side as Parson and both of them fulfilling Grand Abbie's secret plot to break Erfworld and remake it with more peace. But then I am a carebear like that.

One last thing - is there anything that explicitly says Turnamancers have the ability to turn units? The only thing I can find is that update where Jillan says the turnomancer did "good work in the dungeon", but does she mean "The turnomancer was necessary for this to happen at all" or does she mean "Turning him would have taken lots of turns, but the turnomancer reduced this to only taking a few turns"? After all, it explicitly says that having a turnomancer can reduce the number of turns before something pops so it seems less of a stretch than altering somone's loyalty - especially since Turnomancy is Motion only.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions