Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 299
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Grog is a traditional Sailor's drink where water (usually just randomly collected rainwater) is sanitized by adding rum whiskey or moonshine to it, usually the cheapest one around.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Squall83 wrote:
    Fascinating. So the spell would've worked as intended afterall. Good thing they have Jed. :)

Grog... is that a reference to the strong alcohol served in the Pen&Paper RPG 50 Fathoms (or possibly in the Savage Worlds setting in general)?

Grog is a fairly common reference to alcohol (usually cheap) in much of the Anglo-Sphere.
    ... Origins probably nautical..

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    tanonev wrote:
    So if a sentient tower is willing and able to do this much for its side, under what circumstances is a side ever going to be conquerable again?

Wait. Why do sides need to conquer each other in the first place? Isn’t it usually scarcity of resources?

Can a side with infinite juice create the resources needed for upkeep?

Is the portal juice hack the key to peace on Erf?

Edit: and someone already connected the dots on page 3. Guess I was so excited about this idea that I jumped the gun a bit.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:47 am 
    Although it was suspected before, this update pretty much confirms that Jed feels a lot closer to Maggie than he does to Sizemore and Ace, his other two creators. I wonder why that is?

Squall83 wrote:
    Grog... is that a reference to the strong alcohol served in the Pen&Paper RPG 50 Fathoms (or possibly in the Savage Worlds setting in general)?

'Grog' has become an imprecise term over time, but it originally meant "watered down rum", and I suspect that's the intended meaning here.

Edit: Ninja'd twice!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 am 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Hmm... that is interesting. Mana is juice, but juice is not mana... at least not from reading between the strings... err, lines.

But, it does explain a number of things, such as how some units can have 'natural shockamancy' and not use juice, or how certain abilities (i.e. leadership) can be considered natural date-a-mancy, but no juice is required...

Note, every time Kapikala Akua... err, I mean Jed... uses the term mana, he is referring directly to putting it into a string. In these cases, date-a-mancy strings... but Jed did note that mana was sent when Franken-maggie... err, the maggie doll... issued orders (potential leadership?) to TV's dolls... This implies that "mana" is a type of juice used for 'natural' magics.

However, at the very end, Jed uses the term "juice", not "mana", when he senses the other Tutelaries "stealing juice to create themselves". In this case Juice, specifically, is being used to generate magic (Dollamancy/Dirtamancy) to create enhanced towers (NOT simply affecting a string).

Together this means that all units with natural abilities use "mana", a form of juice, to do those natural abilities, but as it is not actual "juice" they don't count as casters, and thus don't need to regain their "mana" as casters would for "juice"... but this brings up a question on whether or not a unit that uses "mana" can learn (be upgraded) to use "juice" and become a full fledged caster... hmmm... wait didn't the bracer once tell Parson he had a non-zero chance of casting a spell to put out an inferno class fire? *mysteriously disappears while people ponder that...*

The Battle for Gloom Island has begun! See what our map-maker does when not busy making maps!

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool!
    That was beautiful. All the connections and friendships he made since he came to Erfworld kept him there.

I really hope it comes up in the story proper, rather than just as an aside for the readers. I should note, too, that by my understanding of what was done, it's just his connections to these people holding him there rather than the summoning spell - he hasn't lost his connection to Earth. Does that mean those can be cut too via another spell or just killing all his friends? :cry:

Also, as an aside - grog is just watered down booze, sometimes with lime added in (for scurvy). Traditionally, it was provided to sailors as a means to stretch the ship's alcohol supply for longer. Since Jed just flooded his hat with water, it's just a mix of water with a little booze.

Ergo, weak grog, like he says.

You guys are putting too much extra meaning on the word mana. It's just another one of Jed's weird Hawaiian words.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
    Noobamancer wrote:
    tl;dr

Friendship is magical!

My little Tower. Let's see Caligula's side, shall we?

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:59 am 
    So the difference between this development and having the SPW spell recast is...that this implies that GK will end up paying some terrible price, like turning most of the sides in Erf against them (rather than just all their immediate neighbors). Jed implies that Parson might have been splattered by the BPW spell, but I wonder why Isaac wouldn't have mentioned that if it were really possible.
    wraith203 wrote:
    Given how guilty Jed is feeling over the unpaid juice, Shirley will probably react.... poorly, when he tries to reestablish a powered connection. (I believe he's mentioned it, but I don't think she understood what it actually involves, and they still need a dirtamancer to actually complete the repairs.)
    Charlie has a powered connection again, and Shirley didn't bat an eye (not that this is necessarily a physically possible action for her, but all she wanted from him was to authorize reupgrading the city to fix the damage).

So, does stealing raw Shockmancy not count? Or is Shirley different because she was awakened as an attempt to eliminate Charlie (i.e. in order to cheat)? And will the other towers awakened by BT be more like Jed or like Shirley?

Whatever. I can't help but feel that this makes Jed more of a player and units (including Parson) more of pieces, however well-liked by their player.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
    We don't have the shoes in play!

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 am 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    To sum the whole thing up, Jed (and therefore Rob) executed a perfect Heart Pull.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 am 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Kaed wrote:
    You guys are putting too much extra meaning on the word mana. It's just another one of Jed's weird Hawaiian words.

Actually, I was more taking note of the fact that Jed himself describes mana as (juice), but later that in Jed's own point of view (where he should still be using the word his 'hawaiian word' of mana for juice...) he instead specifically says juice. This implies (as per my earlier post) that Jed sees a difference between mana (which is juice) and juice (which might not be mana) and Jed's own musings point to the potential distinction.

Remember that never before has Jed used a term other than his 'hawaiian words' for something/someone when he had already chosen what to call them in his 'hawaiian words', unless specifically ordered (politely asked) to (as per when Stanley was confused as to who Jed was talking about and Stanley was complaining about having to remember even more names)

The Battle for Gloom Island has begun! See what our map-maker does when not busy making maps!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 am 
    ObliqueFault wrote:
    Although it was suspected before, this update pretty much confirms that Jed feels a lot closer to Maggie than he does to Sizemore and Ace, his other two creators. I wonder why that is?

Might be plot point, due to having more Jed/Maggie interactions influencing Jed's affinity for the Thinkamancer.

Alternatively, in keeping with Rob's fondness for Easter Eggs, the subtle nod at how Hawaiian society is matriarchal.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 am 
    I wonder if Shirley will be sympathetic in the end, even if Jed stole power, because don't you think that she would be affected by knowing that the big bad enemy (Parson) was loved by so many people? It could give her reason to doubt Charlie's narrative.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    If the Source did become depleted, and casters became unable to reup on juice, that would change the entire landscape. Magic being used as the solution to nearly every problem that Parson has faced, suddenly not having that and facing Charlie's army of guns would be terrifying.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    kilantolshi wrote:
    Kaed wrote:

Actually, I was more taking note of the fact that Jed himself describes mana as (juice), but later that in Jed's own point of view (where he should still be using the word his 'hawaiian word' of mana for juice...) he instead specifically says juice. This implies (as per my earlier post) that Jed sees a difference between mana (which is juice) and juice (which might not be mana) and Jed's own musings point to the potential distinction.

Remember that never before has Jed used a term other than his 'hawaiian words' for something/someone when he had already chosen what to call them in his 'hawaiian words', unless specifically ordered (politely asked) to (as per when Stanley was confused as to who Jed was talking about and Stanley was complaining about having to remember even more names)

In this very update "Jed" uses English rather than Hawaiian many many times, like all the times he he calls Parson "Parson" or "Big Man" rather than "Kanakanui", or "love connection" rather than "maawe aloha". In the last 3 paragraphs, he alternates between "stolen juice" and "stole all that mana" to describe the same theft. "Mana" is just another word for "juice."

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 am 
    I had no idea how badly I needed this update until I read it.

<3 <3 <3

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 am 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Lipkin wrote:
    If the Source did become depleted, and casters became unable to reup on juice, that would change the entire landscape. Magic being used as the solution to nearly every problem that Parson has faced, suddenly not having that and facing Charlie's army of guns would be terrifying.

I am pretty sure that the source being depleted would mean the end of Erf. I mean, all that natural magic probably needs juice too. Also, assuming popping stuff including rations is natural juice expenditure all of that would end too.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:46 am 
    GusZep wrote:
    Squall83 wrote:
    Fascinating. So the spell would've worked as intended afterall. Good thing they have Jed. :)

Grog is a fairly common reference to alcohol (usually cheap) in much of the Anglo-Sphere.
    ... Origins probably nautical..

Originally grog was rum watered to prevent its accumulation by sailors. Its name is from nickname of the admiral that started the practice (of watering), which is from his coat made of grogram cloth.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    wakko wrote:
    What if the reason that he ended up at Spacerock was that Jed was able to tie a string to him before his previous connection was cut?

His original connection to Erfworld is cut, he gets flung back, new one pulls him back down. Which also explains why he would fly directly to Jed the Head.

Maybe he even used some of the strings that tie him to Magionette. Or tied him to the same strings.

Sure, it would introduce a new power of Jed's. But would explain why he felt he needed to take action as the spell was being cast, and was sort of expecting Parson when he showed up in Spacerock's airspace.

I also like the idea that his ties to everyone else has kept him in Erfworld. What I felt wasn't explained with that was why he would end up at Spacerock. I mean, the people he has the strongest bonds with aren't even in Spacerock. So this is my attempt to explain "why Spacerock?"

While I wasn't 100% on about everything in the last thread I'd say it was a pretty good prediction.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Truly upsetting any of the Head Towers is gonna be bad for Sides and especially for their enemies, especially as they crop up so fast that Phil should yell "WILL YOU FORGET THE HEAD SLICING THING!" at some point.

But I'm worried that's not the last of it.

What if the Source is or becomes a sentient or otherwise active player? Y'know, if it's not Fate in the first place. Fate vs. Erf? And then The Number Man pops through a door to complete the Triumvirate?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions