Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » Books and Print Comics

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
The amount of time I have to read has gotten way too limited in recent years, but I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks this year and I am enjoying those.

Keeping in mind that whatever I read or listen to is bound to affect my writing, what books do you think the author of Erfworld should read?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:14 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Ender's Game!
    Or Neverwhere! (Or American Gods, or anything at all by Neil Gaiman)

C: Starting a theory from the point of view that characters have given false information (knowingly or unknowingly) is not a valid way to build an argument.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:39 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I recommend Worm, an excellent web-novel that is, in my opinion, the absolute best the superhero genre has to offer.
    The same author has another (in-progress) novel, Pact, which is also amazing (genre is modern fantasy).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Discworld. It's satire on the traditional fantasy stories and filled with a lot of humor, but the stories can still be very touching. If you like it when a pun is stretched over 200 to 300 pages, Discworld would be a good read. Most of them are in audiobook form and there have been some movies made and a television series coming out.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    The suggestions already mentioned are good, but you've probably read Discworld and Neil Gaiman already. Let's try something a bit different: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain. I'm sure you've heard of it, but you may not have actually read it. The title character's situation is a bit reminiscent of Parson's...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:21 pm 
    This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    What are some of your all time favorite books? That might help us suggest titles.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:50 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    WLM: vaguely_insane@hotmail.com
    I think it's always worth branching out and avoiding ruts. Not only for fresh experiences, but you see connections you might otherwise never see. Who knows? You could read, I dunno, a nonfictional account of beatnik culture and see something that inspires a superb idea for Erfworld. I mention this because so far everyone has gone for recommending well known generally considered 'classics' of SF&F. The best book I read lately was Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter, which defies easy genre-typing, as it ties together art, mathematics, philosophy, computer science, mythology, theories of consciousness, famous musical works, comical short sketches and word games.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:38 am 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I'm not sure if this counts, but the Locke & Key is possibly the best new American comic book (or graphical novel) series that has come out during the last ten years. It's fresh, the characters are interesting and relatable, it has Cthulhu Mythos references, and there is no super heroes.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:11 am 
    Any of the Hammer's Slammers books by David Drake. Drake is the master of the Military Sci-Fi genre and has yet to let me down even after reading any of the books multiple times, (ALWAYS make sure you read the Epilogue as they provide insight into both the book and to the author).

Another awesome David Drake book is Ranks of Bronze (Ancient Roman Legionaries in a Sci-Fi setting with just enough historical accuracy to give it a good dose of plausibility which does not happen very often with Sci-Fi).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool!
    Huh, last post february 2015 :D, noone has suggestions for you lately? Or they just post them by other means? :)

Anyway, "What should Rob read next?" THIS: http://hpmor.com/

Oh My God! I was literally crying laughing out loud yesterday in the train
    EVERYONE that likes to laugh should read this ^_^, actually EVERYONE should read this. Not only is it funny, but the discussions he makes on several topics are quite informative/interesting.

Cheers!

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:06 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    A big +1 for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. The author also has some nice tips on writing intelligent characters.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:50 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    All Tomorrows by Nemo Ramjet. Face-meltingly good sci-fi. Best science fiction I've ever read. Even better than Isaac Asimov's stuff.

Jargon generally only superceeds the lay definition if it is being used by people speaking to people that recognize that jargon. If not being used by people that recognize that Jargon, then one should not insist on the Jargon definition being applied.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:30 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Say, Rob, have you read Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward? Restoring evil to the world so it isn't consumed in an ever expanding ball of Light and quote-unquote Goodness.

Or if you don't mind something web-based, there's "Mother of Invention" on fictionpress.com. The story's about a young mage who gets trapped in a temporal loop, and is actually paranoid and clever about exploiting it. It has a well-developed society and magic system,
    but is also, sadly, still being written so it's incomplete. (38 chapters out though, so plenty to chew on!)

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Written by a friend (first trilogy done, more on the way):

http://www.amazon.com/Honor-You-Call-Ma ... =honsinger

very good sci-fi military strategy - also on audio

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    If you haven't already read it, I strongly recommend Ready Player One and excellent Story about 80's culture (as seen through a futuristic lens) games, technology, and their impact on society. (Both positive and negative)

It's quite an excellent story, and a fairly easy read.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:47 pm 
    I would highly suggest the Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde. If you're not up for reading the whole series, then I'd suggest picking up Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots, and Something Rotten, or even the spin-off book(s) like The Big Over Easy.

The universe that these books are set in is literally a literary one "Bookworld". Most of the characters starting in LiaGB - technically including the heroine - are fictional characters from other works of fiction. Thursday Next exiles herself into this world (from a parallel universe to our own where a church run by Irreverends call Idolatry Friends of St. Zvlkx is the predominant religion of the UK and the half-times during Pro-Cricket is when the team Lawyers get a chance to swing objections at each other and get a judge's formal ruling on the validity of the teams' scores) as a consequence of accidentally breaking several major literary laws that are enforced by the literary enforcement agency "Jurisfiction" and she is then assigned to report directly to Miss Havisham...

And it gets better, we actually find out what happened with Godot when everyone was waiting for him among other things.

I am confident that you will see that both Erfworld and the Thursday Next Series are essentially of the same spirit.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:16 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Hi,

Not actually a book recommendation, but, seeing what you read recently, I thought I would let you know that the BBC have done a TV dramatisation of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, official page here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02mrqzv

Also, Susanna Clarke has published a book of short (faerie) stories under the title "The Ladies of Grace Adieu", which is worth a read.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary
    My first instinct was to just start talking about books I love or have read recently. But the "prompt" was what books should the author of Erfworld read. I think you should try one or both of Garth Nix's collections of short stories, To Hold a Bridge and/or Across the Wall. I think you'd find some interesting things there. (in both cases you can probably skip the first story unless you've already read the Old Kingdom books)

Also on a more THIS BOOK IS AMAZING note, if you haven't read A Wizard of Earthsea yet you really should, very short, very very good, Ursula K Le Guin doesn't screw around.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:16 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    I have to warn everyone AGAINST reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

The first 20 pages or so of the book were interesting and reminded me of Terry Pratchett's style, complete with entertaining footnotes. This is followed by roughly three hundred pages of pure tedium about the boring Mr. Norrell, a very boring person who goes about "not using magic" while being as boring as possible, in which Jonathan Strange is not even mentioned. I had to give up at this point and return the book to the library because it was getting very overdue and accumulating "new book" rate fines. I've heard it gets better, but after struggling through those first three hundred pages I can't imagine anyone wanting to read any more of it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:26 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    With a family, full-time job, and as a part-time writer, I find I seldom have time to read as much as I want. So to improve my own writing, I sample as much diversity as I can, targeting those things I believe will be both enjoyable and useful to improve myself.

Along those lines, I was surprised by Sheepfarmer’s Daughter, the first in a trilogy by Elizabeth Moon. Published in '88, it is a little older than what I usually read, but its style isn't outdated. The book portrays an ordinary, if highly skilled, soldier's daily life and perspective very well, including her interactions with far more powerful individuals (from leaders to magical characters like wizards, clerics, etc). I appreciated the depictions of daily soldierly life, the attention to detail and accuracy of the medieval setting, and the tone set as characters learn, grow, die, etc.

If you have specific things you want to work on, I may be able to give a more targeted suggestion.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » Books and Print Comics